PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

P King picks this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan13

Hall of Fame Poster
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/12/28/week17/index.html

from the article:

I think Vince Young is a bad matchup for New England's not-so-fast linebackers. And I think, no matter what Bill Belichick says to his team beforehand, I don't see them entering this game with much of a sence of urgency.

While I agree I can see the Pats losing the game (treating it as a virtual bye week, a la the Fin game last year), I guess he has neveer noticed how BB and our slow LB's have dealt with M Vick in the past, maintain gap discipline and make the mobile QB try to beeat you from the pocket.

Oh well more lightweight analysis from the media. :rolleyes:

Oh well more lightweight analysis from the media. :rolleyes:
Not to mention that the Titans aren't very good. Slow down (not stop, slow down) Young and laugh to victory even with backups.

Titans 30th in rush defense , Dillon & Maroney will have a Field Day

Once we Continue to Protect the Ball, Brady / Cassell will have no problems;)

I'm not saying that we're going to lose because of it, but the Pats have had trouble with mobile QB's over the past few years. Not necessarily from rushing yards, more from them gaining more time to find the hole in our zones. Besides the Titans are hot. If the Pats don't come out to play they lose.

Not to mention that the Titans aren't very good. Slow down (not stop, slow down) Young and laugh to victory even with backups.

They're good enough. They have the toughest schedule in the NFL this year, and they've achieved a winning record despite starting Kerry Collins and a rookie at QB.

I'm not saying that we're going to lose because of it, but the Pats have had trouble with mobile QB's over the past few years. Not necessarily from rushing yards, more from them gaining more time to find the hole in our zones.

And there you have the answer to the riddle of why we could never beat Jake Plummer.

Plummer is a mobile QB not a running qb, also we have had problems with the Bronco's for 40 years. A better example is Vick where we have owned him.

I guess he has neveer noticed how BB and our slow LB's have dealt with M Vick in the past:

That's because they haven't. Ever. The Patriots have never played Mike Vick, so I have no idea why you're saying they own him. The time they played the Falcons in the Vick era was last year, and Schaub played QB. In 2001, Chris Chandler was playing QB as Vick sat the entire season. Nice try, though.

The Patriots have had trouble with running QBs. Steve McNair always gave the team fits. But McNair was special, I think he was the best QB in football in the early part of this decade, before injuries caught up with him.

I think we have a shot at winning, but I wonder how much Brady is going to play, and if he does play, how aggressively he will play. Will he carry the ball on fourth and inches or run if he sees an opportunity? Also, I don't BB is going to give the Broncos anything they can use against us. Fisher is a great coach and knows we're going to have a vanilla game plan and protect our injured players. That's quite an advantage, especially given that Fisher would probably love to beat the Pats.

That's because they haven't. Ever. The Patriots have never played Mike Vick, so I have no idea why you're saying they own him. The time they played the Falcons in the Vick era was last year, and Schaub played QB. In 2001, Chris Chandler was playing QB as Vick sat the entire season. Nice try, though.

The Patriots have had trouble with running QBs. Steve McNair always gave the team fits. But McNair was special, I think he was the best QB in football in the early part of this decade, before injuries caught up with him.

They have played Vick twice look it up. 11/4/2001 & 10/9/2005

When have we lost to McNair BTW?

They have played Vick twice look it up. 11/4/2001 & 10/9/2005

When have we lost to McNair BTW?

11/4/2001 was Vick's rookie season. Chris Chandler played that year.

10/9/2005 was last year. Vick was hurt and Matt Schaub played that game. The Patriots have never played Mike Vick in a regular season game (and in the preseason they had problems containing him while running).

They lost to McNair on 12/16/2002 (when he ran all over them), and barely beat him twice in 2003.

Not taking the Titans lightly but, if we do not turn the ball over, we will win. The Titans have been feasting on turnovers lately. No turnovers=win.:rocker:

It will be interesting to see how the reserves handle a Norm Chow offense.

I do have to admit that I was wrong about Vince Young. Although time will tell who the best QB out of this draft was, I did NOT think it would be Young at all.

In fact, I thought Young would fall flat on his face and pretty much be a bust. Tough to say what his career holds but he's played with a helluva lot more poise than I ever gave him credit for, and he's clearly a lot smarter than his pre-draft test scores suggested he was.

Seems to me an awful lot of people out there had similar predictions about Young and are pretty quiet about it now.

11/4/2001 was Vick's rookie season. Chris Chandler played that year.

10/9/2005 was last year. Vick was hurt and Matt Schaub played that game. The Patriots have never played Mike Vick in a regular season game (and in the preseason they had problems containing him while running).

They lost to McNair on 12/16/2002 (when he ran all over them), and barely beat him twice in 2003.

November 2001, Vick played in that game. He came into the game in the 2nd half for an injured Chandler and did not do anything of significance.

Quote from Patriots.com

The defense punished Chandler into an ugly performance as the veteran quarterback completed just 8-of-20 for 96 yards before leaving with an injury. His replacement, rookie Michael Vick, made things interesting with two impressive scrambles for 50 yards, but he too took a beating in the final quarter and finished 2-of-9 for 56 yards, 50 of which came on a 6-yard throw over the middle to Brian Finneran that the receiver turned into a 50-yard gain. Overall, the Falcons were just 3-of-14 (21 percent) on the all-important third down, which may have been the Patriots most impressive statistic in the game.

Best way to beat the Titan's offense is to keep it off the field.

Ball control. Time of possession! Run Dillon, Maroney, Faulk and Evans down their throats. Really hard to score with your offense on the sideline! Either Brady or Cassel or Vinnie for that matter can hand the ball off. Keep our defense fresh and well rested. :cool:

November 2001, Vick played in that game. He came into the game in the 2nd half for an injured Chandler and did not do anything of significance.

Quote from Patriots.com

The defense punished Chandler into an ugly performance as the veteran quarterback completed just 8-of-20 for 96 yards before leaving with an injury. His replacement, rookie Michael Vick, made things interesting with two impressive scrambles for 50 yards, but he too took a beating in the final quarter and finished 2-of-9 for 56 yards, 50 of which came on a 6-yard throw over the middle to Brian Finneran that the receiver turned into a 50-yard gain. Overall, the Falcons were just 3-of-14 (21 percent) on the all-important third down, which may have been the Patriots most impressive statistic in the game.

IIRC the Pats sacked Vick 6 times in that game.

It's almost completely irrelevent how well we did against Vick as an injury replacement in 2001. Different teams.

Last year's ATL game would have provided a clue, except that Vick didn't play.

We may never know depending on how long our starters play but we play a disciplined defense that should maintain it's lanes and not give Young big open areas to run to. If we needed this game I think we'd win by 14+ points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back