PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Overlooked: Edelman punt muff

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbb9s

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score

With 2 weeks of SB analysis, I wanted to bring this up. Can't take any more analysis for tomorrow.

Notice a few things:

1) KC players picked up ball and ran into the EZ

2) Referee followed KC into the EZ and signaled TD

3) Announcer (A TEAM) screams "Takingi it into the EZ, TD"

So for a group of "experts" did it not occur to any of them that you can't advance a muffed punt? I just think it is crazy to see that everyone reacts incorrectly. It is most embarrassing for the ref, but insightful to the level of KC coaching.

Also, 0% chance anyone thought Jules had possession and then fumbled which negates any excuses here.

So when you see players, referees or announcers make boneheaded plays or statements it shouldn't surprise you.

No one did anything wrong, except maybe the announcers.

If you’re a player and you get a loose ball in the open field you immediately head for the endzone and keep going until you hear the whistle blow.

If you’re an official you let the play go, keep officiating it, and don’t blow the whistle until and unless you’re 100% sure the ball should be dead. Are you sure that official had an angle where he could be 100% sure it was a muff?

he must’ve took a peek upfield

No one did anything wrong, except maybe the announcers.

If you’re a player and you get a loose ball in the open field you immediately head for the endzone and keep going until you hear the whistle blow.

If you’re an official you let the play go, keep officiating it, and don’t blow the whistle until and unless you’re 100% sure the ball should be dead. Are you sure that official had an angle where he could be 100% sure it was a muff?
If it wasn’t a muffed punt, how could it be a td?

I also disagree with all of the people saying the replay wasn't definitive.

The ball was weirdly tumbling and there is absolutely no change of direction or change of the ball wobbling, indicating that it clearly was not touched at all.

The ball was weirdly tumbling and there is absolutely no change of direction or change of the ball wobbling, indicating that it clearly was not touched at all.
The broadcast replays confirm it didn't touch Edelman's fingers/hands/forearm. The NFL Films camera confirms the ball never touched Edelman's arm. The ball 100% didn't touch Edelman. It's indisputable. Now I do wonder if Riveron has access to the NFL Films cameras for video replay?

Last edited:
Guys this has nothing to do with if Jules touched the ball or not.

The rule of football is that you can't advance a muffed punt.

This has nothing to do with playing through the whistle. It has nothing to do with the replay. Everyone I mentioned reacted incorrectly.

Guys this has nothing to do with if Jules touched the ball or not.

The rule of football is that you can't advance a muffed punt.

This has nothing to do with playing through the whistle. It has nothing to do with the replay. Everyone I mentioned reacted incorrectly.

Are you familiar with the word "also"?

as in...

"I also disagree with all of the people saying the replay wasn't definitive."

It means that, in addition to your point, another aspect of the play is also misunderstood and worthy of discussion.

We all know the muffed punt rule, and Nantz did too, soon after an initial brain lock, as did the refs.

ball could have grazed his finger or thumb without changing direction..still can't believe they overturned that call.

IIRC, every angle that showed a potential touch was shown to be a miss by another angle.

You can't advance a muff so from the ref's POV it is irrelevant whether he touched it, when it comes to the question of it being a TD. The ref didn't know the rule, or he lost his mind and momentarily forgot it.

ball could have grazed his finger or thumb without changing direction..still can't believe they overturned that call.

Both angles showed space between his fingers and the ball. If you have only one angle, then I agree with you. But one angle showed space between his left hand and the ball, and the other showed space between his right and the ball.

From multiple replays, it was a definite NO for the fingers. The upper arm was less clear, though I think that eventually one angle showed daylight there, too

From multiple replays, it was a definite NO for the fingers. The upper arm was less clear, though I think that eventually one angle showed daylight there, too

This is true. but it is still insane that it was that close.

Can you advance a muffed KO?

Also, if a kickoff doesn’t get touched by receiving team and other team touches it in end zone it’s a TD right?

You’re right, but maybe at that point the difference between the two is blurred, in the actual moment

Can you advance a muffed KO?

Also, if a kickoff doesn’t get touched by receiving team and other team touches it in end zone it’s a TD right?

You’re right, but maybe at that point the difference between the two is blurred, in the actual moment
Yes, a kickoff is a live ball, it's 100% up for grabs. So is a free kick after a safety.

To me, the bigger question is, what was Edelman thinking? Whatever it was, I hope he got it out of his system.
The biggest question is what makes you believe that a supremely clutch player who time after time makes great plays, particularly in the post season, may make a game-changing mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes