PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Overlooked: Edelman punt muff

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest question is what makes you believe that a supremely clutch player who time after time makes great plays, particularly in the post season, may make a game-changing mistake?
I blame my eyes.

With 2 weeks of SB analysis, I wanted to bring this up. Can't take any more analysis for tomorrow.

Notice a few things:

1) KC players picked up ball and ran into the EZ

2) Referee followed KC into the EZ and signaled TD

3) Announcer (A TEAM) screams "Takingi it into the EZ, TD"

So for a group of "experts" did it not occur to any of them that you can't advance a muffed punt? I just think it is crazy to see that everyone reacts incorrectly. It is most embarrassing for the ref, but insightful to the level of KC coaching.

Also, 0% chance anyone thought Jules had possession and then fumbled which negates any excuses here.

So when you see players, referees or announcers make boneheaded plays or statements it shouldn't surprise you.

Players should always finish the play.

The biggest question is what makes you believe that a supremely clutch player who time after time makes great plays, particularly in the post season, may make a game-changing mistake?

the guy was GOING for the ball, and luckily it bounced weird and he missed it lmao

some serious kool aid here if you think edelman didn't get bailed out by a weird bounce

Because he just did one of the biggest brainfarts in AFCCG history. First he gives the Peter call and then goes after the ball ? Whatever "supremely clutch" means what Edelman did there was the absolute opposite and one of the worst decisions I have seen any player make in years.

Edelman thought he saw Elvis

Let's not pretend that Edelman avoided touching it on purpose. It's actually shocking that he didn't touch the ball. The guy is not immune to ****ing up, as he showed 2 plays later.

Also, if a kickoff doesn’t get touched by receiving team and other team touches it in end zone it’s a TD right?

It is not a TD if the kicking team simply touches it in the end zone. They have to have possession. And it doesn't matter if the receiving team touched it prior.

Because he just did one of the biggest brainfarts in AFCCG history. First he gives the Peter call and then goes after the ball ? Whatever "supremely clutch" means what Edelman did there was the absolute opposite and one of the worst decisions I have seen any player make in years.
And in the end, it didn't matter one f###### bit. He didn't touch it and it wasn't a "muff."

the guy was GOING for the ball, and luckily it bounced weird and he missed it lmao

some serious kool aid here if you think edelman didn't get bailed out by a weird bounce
Of course he was bailed out. But, he didn't touch it and it wasn't a "muff."

Can you advance a muffed KO?
No.
Also, if a kickoff doesn’t get touched by receiving team and other team touches it in end zone it’s a TD right?
Not anymore after this year's rules changes. Now if the ball goes in the end zone on a kickoff, it is immediately whistled to a touchback.

Here's an interesting quirk of the rules though: Edelman didn't touch the ball, so essentially the KC player grabbed an untouched, "undowned" ball and ran it straight into the end zone. That could have been a touchback. The Patriots get the ball at the most advantageous spot between where it was first touched by the kicking team and where it was finally downed - and it wasn't downed until it was in the end zone.

If the whole thing had happened on, say, the 15 yard line, then it would have indeed been a touchback. But since it was first touched by KC on the 29, that's where NE scrimmaged.

Let's not pretend that Edelman avoided touching it on purpose. It's actually shocking that he didn't touch the ball. The guy is not immune to ****ing up, as he showed 2 plays later.
Edelman didn't throw the interception. It was a suck pass.

Well... wouldn’t you just as easily be able to say the weird bounce was the reason he didn’t simply catch it? He’s done this before- calls peter, sees that he thinks he’ll be able to play it and advance it 5 yards or so. Risky and I’d prefer he didn’t do it, but if there was no bad bounce he may have simply fielded it as planned

Well... wouldn’t you just as easily be able to say the weird bounce was the reason he didn’t simply catch it? He’s done this before- calls peter, sees that he thinks he’ll be able to play it and advance it 5 yards or so. Risky and I’d prefer he didn’t do it, but if there was no bad bounce he may have simply fielded it as planned

true, so we know his capability is high, but i think the fact that the ball bounced so much he couldn't even touch it, means there was little chance he was going to field it cleanly, if the bounce had it a little less severe, he probably touches it and it is muffed instead of touched and possessed

it went through his hands...i think it was right in front of his face...pass was fine, he misjudged its location and had already closed his hands and hit the tops of his hands by the time it got there

true, so we know his capability is high, but i think the fact that the ball bounced so much he couldn't even touch it, means there was little chance he was going to field it cleanly, if the bounce had it a little less severe, he probably touches it and it is muffed instead of touched and possessed
Yeah that’s true. If the bounce had been a little less weird, it’s a fumble. If the bounce wasn’t weird, he catches it

I hate Jim Nantz and think he's a piece of **** but he did correct himself right after he said touchdown.
I congratulate whoever speaks into Nance's earpiece.

And let's not leave out Tony "Swami" Romo and his uncanny ability of going to team practices, writing down formations, then pretending he's the Amazing Kreskin of Play Calling during his golly gee shucks commentary.

Right. From the same people who **** all over Wes Welker for not catching a much worse pass in a Super Bowl. Sorry, but in the NFL a tipped interception is usually (and generally rightly) blamed on the receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back