PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Where Does Logan Mankins Rank Among All Time OL Guards?

The right side of the OL with Stork (then Andrews), Mason, Vollmer (then Cannon) was insane. We ran all over everyone at will to the right.
Added as 4a.

The one year Brian Winters was here he was the most dominant guard not named Hog Hannah.

Some games when healthy the former college wrestler Steven Neal was exceptional, too.

I think Thuney is a better pro than Mankins. It’s close.

Bruce Armstrong is not a guard, though a few listicle articles i have read have him mistakenly listed as such...

All Time Patriots Guards
  1. 1. John Hannah
  2. 2. Logan Mankins
  3. 3. Joe Thuney
  4. 4. Charlie Long
  5. 4a. Shaq Mason
  6. 5. Stephen Neal
  7. 6. Sam Adams
  8. 7. Len St. Jean
  9. 8. Joe Andruzzi
  10. 9. Dan Connolly
  11. 10. Ron Wooten
some more guards (not a complete list, if i am missing any notables or categorized any c/t as a guard, feel free to point it out)
Cole Strange, Billy Neighbors, Todd Rucci, Heath Irwin, Paul Fairchild, Rich Baldinger, Danny Villa, Ted Karras, Sean Farrell, Mike Compton, Bob Kratch, Willie Roberts, Brian Waters, Eugene Chung,Halvor Hagen, T/G Brian Holloway, Billy Yates

Eugene Chung. Now you're talkin'.

I really like Mankins, tough as nails but I have a hard time thinking about him without thinking about the dreadful game he played in the Super Bowl. I feel bad for him because as someone already said, they won Super Bowls before his arrival and after he left.

Eugene Chung. Now you're talkin'.
i remember when they made that pick... "dudes so smart... his parents are doctors... hes gonna be great"

the naked gun facepalm GIF

i remember when they made that pick... "dudes so smart... his parents are doctors... hes gonna be great"

the naked gun facepalm GIF
Was way over drafted. Adequate to meh player. Apparently he's a decent OL coach.

Mankins was awesome.
Thuney is the one I was pissed they let go so early. If we'd have stuck with him, the whole OL problem may not have happened.

Stephen Neal could've been up there had injuries not cut his career short.

Stephen Neal's career may have been initially hampered by injury but it was NOT short, certainly not by NFL O-lineman standards.

6x all pro (5 second & 1 first), 7x PB in total

Hannah is obviously number one. Armstrong is # 2.

Would he be above Light & Koppen?

As a guard he sure would. Hell as a guard Mankins was far superior to Armstrong, since Armstrong was a tackle. Your thread title asks about guards. Here you are comparing Mankins to one HoF guard (the greatest of all time), 2 tackles (Armstrong & Light) and a center in Koppen. You don't football all that much do you? Or maybe you do better when it comes to Chefs players, great googly moogly

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back