PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Where Does Logan Mankins Rank Among All Time OL Guards?

MahomestoKelce

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
6x all pro (5 second & 1 first), 7x PB in total

Hannah is obviously number one. Armstrong is # 2.

Would he be above Light & Koppen?

Picked the worst games to play subpar.
He is Borderline HOF judging by Pro bowls etc. 6 all pros is pretty great.

To be fair, his QB was hurt in the game. And the Giants DL wrecked alot of people.

If the Patriots win, his performance is never brought up.

It took a miracle play to not win. A play that will never happen again.

You do know that Offensive Linemen covers tackles, guards, and centers, right? And your title is just about guards?

Bruce Armstrong played Right, then Left Tackle. Maybe spot duty at guard? (Checked: nothing that registered.)

6x all pro (5 second & 1 first), 7x PB in total

Hannah is obviously number one. Armstrong is # 2.

Would he be above Light & Koppen?
Bruce Armstrong is not a guard, though a few listicle articles i have read have him mistakenly listed as such...

All Time Patriots Guards
  1. 1. John Hannah
  2. 2. Logan Mankins
  3. 3. Joe Thuney
  4. 4. Charley Long
  5. 4a. Shaq Mason
  6. 5. Stephen Neal
  7. 6. Sam Adams
  8. 7. Len St. Jean
  9. 8. Joe Andruzzi
  10. 9. Dan Connolly
  11. 10. Ron Wooten
some more guards (not a complete list, if i am missing any notables or categorized any c/t as a guard, feel free to point it out)
Cole Strange, Billy Neighbors, Todd Rucci, Heath Irwin, Paul Fairchild, Rich Baldinger, Danny Villa, Ted Karras, Sean Farrell, Mike Compton, Bob Kratch, Willie Roberts, Brian Waters, Eugene Chung,Halvor Hagen, Charley Leo, T/G Brian Holloway, Billy Yates

Last edited:
I was too young for Hannah, but Mankins was by far the best G for the Pats since I started watching in the mid 90’s. Had Brian Waters played with that Pats longer, he’d be 2nd or 3rd on the list.

I was too young for Hannah, but Mankins was by far the best G for the Pats since I started watching in the mid 90’s. Had Brian Waters played with that Pats longer, he’d be 2nd or 3rd on the list.
Wow I totally forgot we had him.

Farrell was very good, Waters was even better. was only here for one year at the end of his career. I put Mankins above both of them in terms of the Pats, his Super Bowl issues notwithstanding (he stunk in those games but there were a lot of things off for the Pats both times and Coughlin did a lot better job than BB both times).

I put Waters overall at the upper tier of those I’ve seen at guard, with Art Shell, Hannah, Mick Tinglehoff, Bob Kuechenberg, Larry Allen, Alan Faneca, Marshal Yanda (I know I’m forgetting some but those are the guys I remember thinking were really excellent when I watched them).

Last edited:
mankins was a bad man. didn't he play on a partially torn ACL one year?

watch the 1980 Pats / Seattle game i posted in linkspace... you will get to see some great plays by hannah

Last edited:
Bruce Armstrong is not a guard, though a few listicle articles i have read have him mistakenly listed as such...

All Time Patriots Guards
  1. 1. John Hannah
  2. 2. Logan Mankins
  3. 3. Joe Thuney
  4. 4. Charlie Long
  5. 5. Stephen Neal
  6. 6. Sam Adams
  7. 7. Len St. Jean
  8. 8. Joe Andruzzi
  9. 9. Dan Connolly
  10. 10. Ron Wooten
some more guards (not a complete list, if i am missing any notables or categorized any c/t as a guard, feel free to point it out)
Cole Strange, Billy Neighbors, Todd Rucci, Heath Irwin, Paul Fairchild, Rich Baldinger, Danny Villa, Ted Karras, Sean Farrell, Mike Compton, Bob Kratch, Willie Roberts, Brian Waters, Eugene Chung,Halvor Hagen, T/G Brian Holloway, Billy Yates

Great list. Just missing Shaq Mason

Stephen Neal could've been up there had injuries not cut his career short.

Knew I was forgetting someone... Top ten? Quite possibly so...
The right side of the OL with Stork (then Andrews), Mason, Vollmer (then Cannon) was insane. We ran all over everyone at will to the right.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back