PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Vick 30 for 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

203Pat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
First part aired last night on ESPN and I am not sure why I watched it. There is not really any athlete I have ever hated more than Michael Vick and so far the documentary is lining up a whole bunch of excuses for him before it gets to the dogfighting part. There is also a ton of talk about how "at the time" no one wanted a black quarterback which to me seems like nonsense as it was the late 90's and Randall Cunningham and Warren Moon were wrapping up great careers. Steve McNair, Akili Smith, Donovan McNabb, and Daunte Culpepper were all recently taken very high in the draft and aside from Smith playing well.

Just wondering if anyone else watched.

First part aired last night on ESPN and I am not sure why I watched it. There is not really any athlete I have ever hated more than Michael Vick and so far the documentary is lining up a whole bunch of excuses for him before it gets to the dogfighting part. There is also a ton of talk about how "at the time" no one wanted a black quarterback which to me seems like nonsense as it was the late 90's and Randall Cunningham and Warren Moon were wrapping up great careers. Steve McNair, Akili Smith, Donovan McNabb, and Daunte Culpepper were all recently taken very high in the draft and aside from Smith playing well.

Just wondering if anyone else watched.
Can't stand the bastard and won't watch anything casting him in a sympathetic light. All the "apologies" and PSAs after his conviction have seemed by rote and lacking sincerity.

“No one wanted a black QB” is an amazing piece of revisionist history, particularly for the early 2000s. I don’t think I could debunk it better than you just did. I’ll just add that during that time a lot of Pats fans thought Michael Bishop was the modern QB of the future.

I don’t like Vick either. I’m a dog lover. He can say whatever he wants, but some people are just who they are, and that to me cannot next undone by public relations and fake apologies. If he were capable of feeling sorrow or empathy, he never would have done something like that for so long. This isn’t like losing your mind out of anger and doing something you spend the rest of your life regretting. It’s the actions of a cruel person.

Can't stand the bastard and won't watch anything casting him in a sympathetic light. All the "apologies" and PSAs after his conviction have seemed by rote and lacking sincerity.
Yeah I have never bought his redemption story. I don't care how much you pretend to apologize you're a fundamentally bad human being if you can take pleasure in torturing and brutally killing another living thing for fun.

I think it was @Actual Pats Fan who questioned why there aren't more of those shows about Patriots players. It's a great question.

People change ...
He's made the effort but the baggage will remain.
I can't say I care too much about it now.

I think it was @Actual Pats Fan who questioned why there aren't more of those shows about Patriots players. It's a great question.

NFLN has done a good amount of docs about Patriot related people with the Belichick Football Life (and Cleveland 95), Rodney Harrison, Wes Welker, and Willie McGinest. I believe they also did the Brady 6 and then obviously all the America’s Game and two Do Your Job’s. As for ESPN they haven’t done as much. The Two Bill’s and to a lesser extent the Junior Seau 30 for 30.

They should do a 30 for 30 on about 7 or 8 pit bulls that have been starved for a couple of days being unleashed on him in a locked room. I’d love to watch that. I’d probably record it so I could watch it later.

By the way, mods, there is a VERY good chance that this thread will get political. Might want to get the delete button warmed up and stretched out.

By the way, mods, there is a VERY good chance that this thread will get political. Might want to get the delete button warmed up and stretched out.

The original post makes a racial point, so I don't know if the thread can "get" political.

The original post makes a racial point, so I don't know if the thread can "get" political.
If by “first post,” you mean “the documentary,” then yeah, you have a point. The first post was just parroting what the doc was saying.

If by “first post,” you mean “the documentary,” then yeah, you have a point. The first post was just parroting what the doc was saying.
Yeah there was nothing in the first post about Vick killing and torturing dogs of a particular hair color. I don’t think he discriminated at all.

If you watch the documentary it’s nearly all about race. They talk about how no one wanted a black QB. Vick talks about he wasn’t used to being around white people when he got to VT. They loosely compare him to Muhammad Ali, Hank Aaron and Sugar Ray Leonard as being a popular black athlete. Bomani Jones strongly implies that people labeling Vick’s hanger on’s as a “posse” are racists (because as he says groups of black people scare white people). They talk about hip hop and how Atlanta is viewed as a black city but the town Vick moved to apparently had strong KKK roots.

If you watch the documentary it’s nearly all about race. They talk about how no one wanted a black QB. Vick talks about he wasn’t used to being around white people when he got to VT. They loosely compare him to Muhammad Ali, Hank Aaron and Sugar Ray Leonard as being a popular black athlete. Bomani Jones strongly implies that people labeling Vick’s hanger on’s as a “posse” are racists (because as he says groups of black people scare white people). They talk about hip hop and how Atlanta is viewed as a black city but the town Vick moved to apparently had strong KKK roots.

Poor guy...African American athlete drafted by Atlanta Falcons. Never had a chance in that community.

Jones has a point, though. White people, by and large, are scared of black people. That’s why Vick was able to hide behind the “black community” and his excuses in the wake of that. White people have lost the balls to call the black community out on their bull.sh!t (why is this word banned? We’re all adults here) while they have no problem calling white people out on ours. It was a genius move that worked out beautifully for Vick. He’s on-air now.

In related news, the above post is likely gone. I hope those of you who could read it before it gets yanked enjoyed it.

Yeah, they probably believe he was badly misunderstood because dogfighting is just part of the culture he was born into. :rolleyes:

In related news, the above post is likely gone. I hope those of you who could read it before it gets yanked enjoyed it.
Yes, I am scared of “bi and large black people.” But also bi and large people of any color. I really don’t discriminate except in sexual preference and size. Does that count?

Yes, I am scared of “bi and large black people.” But also bi and large people of any color. I really don’t discriminate except in sexual preference and size. Does that count?
For his part @fnordcircle likely would disagree with this.

Fun Friday with @fnordcircle. Now all we need is Fnord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST