PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: "Tim Tebow believes. Do you?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
That is the subhead of this MMQB article... an interesting read.

Tim Tebow’s Baseball Odyssey | The MMQB with Peter King

Unsure as to what 'belief' the question addresses...

If it's, "do I believe Tim Tebow will be successful in his missionary outreach work?", then yes, I do.

If it's, "do I believe Tim Tebow will be successful playing baseball?"...

030817_nym_tebow_disappointed_med_7uyz9ir2.gif

...then, no, I do not. o_O

If the guy is happy all the power to him ...
He will probably always be excellent doing the college football games on tv so he's got nothing to lose.

Always been a fan of Tebows because of his competitiveness and willingness to do anything to win. Is he the best athlete in the world? No but he's pretty good. Is he a better role model than a majority of pro athletes? I think so but kids seem to follow the jerks today.

Always been a fan of Tebows because of his competitiveness and willingness to do anything to win.

I wish nothing but good for Mr. Tebow, but I'm always surprised by sentiments like this. We're talking about a man who decided he'd rather have the cameras on him as a talking head rather than accept playing any position other than quarterback. He's always struck me as an individual struggling with "post-quarterback syndrome" -- having a hard time adjusting to being a guy, not The Guy.

Agreed. Tebow could have done the Edelman thing and been very very good. He was more than athletic enough to have success as a receiver or possibly even a tight end.

I wish nothing but good for Mr. Tebow, but I'm always surprised by sentiments like this. We're talking about a man who decided he'd rather have the cameras on him as a talking head rather than accept playing any position other than quarterback. He's always struck me as an individual struggling with "post-quarterback syndrome" -- having a hard time adjusting to being a guy, not The Guy.
Yep. He seemed like a great guy, but we've seem what players (especially QBs) can accomplish when they acknowledge that the QB dream is dead and they dedicate themselves to learning a new role. Tebow is not one of those players. I hate to think where we'd be if Edelman had been that stubborn.

Seems like a person who will 'go all in' to reach a goal like being a QB. He is a different guy who could have been a pro football player just not a qb, perhaps a FB?

At his age he likely won't make the majors, he does like the spotlight, but uses the pub to do things that matter.

Home Page

He used his contract $$$ to build a hospital in the Philippines.

There are people in virtually every walk of life who can never accept being anything but "The Guy" (or "Gal"). They'd rather flame out than be something other than what they think they can be.

That might be a career-limiting attitude for most of those who have it, but I don't see it as a personality/character flaw. Dreamers dream. Some of them end up in poverty. Some end up as billionaires.

Yep. He seemed like a great guy, but we've seem what players (especially QBs) can accomplish when they acknowledge that the QB dream is dead and they dedicate themselves to learning a new role. Tebow is not one of those players. I hate to think where we'd be if Edelman had been that stubborn.
Your final sentence defines the dilemma perfectly.

Circus side show taking the roster spot of a real baseball prospect. Some people just have to be in the spotlight.....can't live without it... Tebow is one of those people.
He's hitting .232 in Class A with an OBP of .315. That's not going to get him to The Show anytime soon, but those are numbers that a bona fide "prospect" would put up in his first year at that level.

There's no indication that he has an "attitude" or that the other guys in the locker room are resentful of him and that this is all about "the spotlight." He gives a lot of his paycheck to Charity and seems like a decent and grateful guy. In other words, I think you've chosen a fitting Screen Name.

There are people in virtually every walk of life who can never accept being anything but "The Guy" (or "Gal"). They'd rather flame out than be something other than what they think they can be.

That might be a career-limiting attitude for most of those who have it, but I don't see it as a personality/character flaw. Dreamers dream. Some of them end up in poverty. Some end up as billionaires.

I agree, I'm not slamming the dream. But the post I was responded to referred to Tebow's "willingness to do anything to win." That's what I was disagreeing with. "Doing anything to win" in a team sport includes the willingness to give your all in a smaller role to help the team -- not just doggedly pursuing your own grand dream.

I agree, I'm not slamming the dream. But the post I was responded to referred to Tebow's "willingness to do anything to win." That's what I was disagreeing with. "Doing anything to win" in a team sport includes the willingness to give your all in a smaller role to help the team -- not just doggedly pursuing your own grand dream.

That statement is fine in an abstract universe. But, in, for example, the NFL, where there is no loyalty from Team to Player, a guy could change positions and still be cut in a heartbeat.

Why should a guy take heat for perceiving himself in a specific way and "doggedly pursing...[his]...own grand dream" by simply saying, "OK, I'd rather not play if I can't play the game the way I want to play it?"

Tim Tebow chose getting cut over trying, perhaps successfully, perhaps unsuccessfully, to change positions to fit himself into a system that might or might not have cut him in a few weeks at his new position anyway.

He made that decision. It's his life. I have no issue with it.

But, then people will say, "But why couldn't he have been like Julian Edelman, who accepted that he wasn't going to be an NFL QB and changed positions, electing to play a "smaller role to help the team?" Why couldn't Tebow have done the same thing?

The answer to that is very simple.

Different people make different choices and choose different courses in life. We have no idea what would have happened to Julius Edelman if he had chosen a different course for his life.

Maybe he would still be in the League. Maybe he'd be selling insurance in his hometown of Woodside, CA. Maybe his life would have gone in a completely different direction, maybe better than, maybe not as good as the course he chose. We just don't know. We do know that it worked out well for the Patriots and himself over the past few years.

Last edited:
I always felt the NFL sold Tebow short. He wouldn't have been great but he is good enough to play in the NFL and was a gamer. In the right system he would do well.

Everyone knows that Tebow is a brand much more than an athlete. And I kind of get the logic that his brand requires that he is the QB of whatever team he plays for and that's why he didn't want to switch positions in the NFL or get some seasoning in the CFL like Flutie, Garcia and others.

But then the baseball thing where it's a longshot at best that he'll see the light of day in the major leagues.... The dude is willing to accept that but not a different position in the NFL?:confused:

AH shouldve "hang" out with Tebow more often

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back