PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Thornton book Darkness to Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

everlong

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I just finished it up yesterday on audio. Overall really good. I could have done without the pop culture quotes at the start of every chapter but overall he does a great job of covering the history of the team. I was 8 and became a fan of the team in 76 so there were a lot of thing from the early team history I was loosely aware of but when put in context by a lot of other facts I wasn't it was amazing how this franchise even when they were succeeding found a way to F it up.

Even the more public events like Zeke Mowatt I had forgotten so many of the details about that. Or the drafting of Glenn and how McDonough knew because of that Parcells was already talking to the Jets.

For the younger fans I think you'll be amazed at the history and for the older fans there will be tons of OMG I forgot that even happened. A few of you might want to skip the uniform changing chapters for fear of stroking out. :)

I just finished it up yesterday on audio. Overall really good. I could have done without the pop culture quotes at the start of every chapter but overall he does a great job of covering the history of the team. I was 8 and became a fan of the team in 76 so there were a lot of thing from the early team history I was loosely aware of but when put in context by a lot of other facts I wasn't it was amazing how this franchise even when they were succeeding found a way to F it up.

Even the more public events like Zeke Mowatt I had forgotten so many of the details about that. Or the drafting of Glenn and how McDonough knew because of that Parcells was already talking to the Jets.

For the younger fans I think you'll be amazed at the history and for the older fans there will be tons of OMG I forgot that even happened. A few of you might want to skip the uniform changing chapters for fear of stroking out. :)
I read through it when it came out and hated it.

Too many drunken, inaccurate takes on events, their relevance and influence. But, undoubtedly shared by narrow-minded locals who instantly believe any headline, and who frankly perpetuate the "Patriots Suck" propaganda that's been trumpeted by media, opponents and the league since the 1970 merger.

Every team in the NFL had more players using recreational drugs than the Patriots in 1986...but it was the Pats who are blown up in another fake "scandal". It was, what, five players? Total. And none used as much as Lawrence Taylor or Dexter Manley.

In '9o, a young, inexperienced, granted vulnerable but clearly disturbed woman entered the team locker room pretending first to be a journalist, and then a victim.

In '91 NFL Commissioner Paul "The Patriots Damaged The League" Tagliabue [see R. Goodell] ordered an investigation under the aegis of former Watergate scandal prosecutor Philip Heymann [see T. Wells] and in addition to ignoring the facts and covering their asses, three young African-American players were fined, after being accused of ("mind-") rape.

To put this in perspective, let's say I head out to Phoenix, sneak past security and worm my way onto a local paper's staff, and pretending to be a reporter walk into the U.S Women's Olympic Soccer team's locker room after a match. I could be entirely honorable or even gay; but if I'm sitting there transfixed and staring at scantily clad young women, one or more of them might complain to management; and if nothing happens after that the athletes just might express some kind of disapproval of my behavior and subsequent presence.

Only now I turn into poor, attacked, innocent victim and the athlete's behavior and language is all directed maliciously at me; I know this because I miraculously am able to monitor all of it as I am still performing all my journalistic duties. I am a pioneer for male reporters entering female locker rooms and hailed and praised for decades afterward.

Meanwhile, members of the team are fined by the USOC after I accused them of ("quasi-") rape.

Gayle Gardner (nee Granik) covered the Pats in 1976 and never complained about anything.

I'm not surprised that was your reply. Using Taylor and Manley were bad examples since one was kicked out of the league and the other got crushed in the media worse than any of the Patriots. Thornton a huge homer so this wasn't slanted against the Pats. His take on the Raiders playoff game properly condemns the league and refs while other incidents like Hart Lee Dykes and Fryar are properly framed for what they were.

I don't expect to convince you of anything since you have those days framed in your mind a certain way. I'll simply agree to disagree.

I think the Fairbanks chapters and how he "coached" Plunkett might also dim the rose colored glasses a bit.
Well nobody's perfect
xrsz_fairbanks-150x150.jpg.pagespeed.ic.9MCM7RU1oA.jpg
"You're gonna run, Plunkett...even though it's not part of your game..."

I'm not surprised that was your reply. Using Taylor and Manley were bad examples since one was kicked out of the league and the other got crushed in the media worse than any of the Patriots. Thornton a huge homer so this wasn't slanted against the Pats. His take on the Raiders playoff game properly condemns the league and refs while other incidents like Hart Lee Dykes and Fryar are properly framed for what they were.

I don't expect to convince you of anything since you have those days framed in your mind a certain way. I'll simply agree to disagree.
I never chose to smooth over ownership and management's bumbling over those years - it's true - but the fact also remains that if there was a "laughingstock" in the 70's it was the Giants...or a bunch of other losing teams, not the Patriots.

There were a ton of huge Pats wins in the 60's, 70's and 80's, led by great and unsung players who were mostly classy on and off the field. Their on field exploits are denied, denigrated and dismissed, leading to "star-crossed franchise" headlines and insulting makeovers by ignorant, stupid out of towners who have nothing but hatred and contempt for the team, not to mention unmitigated accusations of cheating with every single playoff win this century.

Last edited:
In '9o, a young, inexperienced, granted vulnerable but clearly disturbed woman entered the team locker room pretending first to be a journalist, and then a victim.
What the hell are you talking about? Olsen was a credentialed writer on the NE beat for the Herald.

Let me guess -- you were one of the troglodytes happily bopping red-haired blowup dolls around the stadium after that.

What the hell are you talking about? Olsen was a credentialed writer on the NE beat for the Herald.

Let me guess -- you were one of the troglodytes happily bopping red-haired blowup dolls around the stadium after that.
The real abuse directed at her by angry fans was of course, out of line.

I am not interested in appearing misogynistic, but do you know exactly how she became credentialed? Sure, a male could have theoretically just as successfully done it.

She was inexperienced, young, vulnerable and human too. She does not appear to have had any inappropriate intent at all.

Athletes certainly have a more solid reason for being in their locker room than visiting media. Maybe if Ernie Davis were in there, he'd have taken her aside and politely tried to help her and explain what was going on. But players are not expected to be babysitters. They were right to approach management first, as they did, instead of initially addressing her directly.

The players involved did not behave like saints, but they certainly did not behave like rapists either. I would like to think they'd have been treated the same if they were white, but...

However, Olson lashed out like a rabies-stricken snapping turtle with indignation and media rants and lawsuits. It never occurred to her to see things from other people's perspective. Kiam was clumsy and inappropriate, but, like the players, he was angry.

And he was right.

Victor Kiam: What do Iraqi soldiers and Lisa Olsen have in common?

They've both seen Patriot missiles close up

He was a buffoon.

Victor Kiam: What do Iraqi soldiers and Lisa Olsen have in common?

They've both seen Patriot missiles close up

He was a buffoon.
Tasteless and stupid.

"The Patriots controversy, inflamed by Kiam's comments about a woman reporter being an 'intruder' in the locker room, comes less than two years after Kiam's daughter went into New England's locker room after a game. In an interview published in the Herald, Kiam said, 'Your paper's asking for trouble sending a female reporter to cover the team. Why not stand in front of her (naked) if she's an intruder?'

On Oct. 30, 1988, Kiam's daughter Robin, who is in her 20s, entered the team locker room after a game with the Chicago Bears. Kiam was reportedly angry with her for doing so and she has not visited it since."

So Kiam was in fact a boob. "A men's professional locker room is no place for a woman" is not so crazy a notion, if you leave out the equal opportunity to journalism part.

Beginning in the 1970s, when increasing numbers of women sought to enter the field of sportswriting, female sportswriters faced frequent discrimination, harassment, and intimidation. I have heard nothing to indicate that the Patriots perpetrated this more or even as much as any other team. Women did not get equal access to post-game locker room interviews until a federal court decision in 1978. In 1985, the NFL enacted an equal access policy of its own. Apparently, nobody on the 1990 team or front office new about it.

That still does not justify baseless denigration of the franchise nor cheating on the part of the league to steal draft picks and invent rule-breaking fake scandals in an attempt to mollify ignorant, stupid crybaby opponents, their fans and the media.

Thornton: "The New England Patriots of old weren’t just bad—they were laughably bad. Not so long ago, the Pats were the laughingstock of not only the NFL but also the entire sporting world."

Thanks to...the media. And the league.

For 33 years, the Patriots were a lot more fun and exciting to watch - and more successful - than the following miserable, loser, unwatchable teams:

Buffalo Bills
New York Jets
Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts
Kansas City Chiefs
San Diego Chargers
New York Giants
Philadelphia Eagles
Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Green Bay Packers (after 1967)
Atlanta Falcons
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
St. Louis/Arizona Cardinals
Seattle Seahawks

That's 18 teams. Not including the San Francisco 49ers who won nothing before 1981.
Or the Washington Redskins. Did they ever win anything in a non-strike season?
Or the Denver Broncos, the darlings of the league who have yet to win anything without cheating.

But, the media says the Patriots are the laughingstock.

It's not available at my local library. Is it worth purchasing?

I am not interested in appearing misogynistic, but do you know exactly how she became credentialed? Sure, a male could have theoretically just as successfully done it.

So am I reading you wrong or are you pivoting from 'she was an insane person to snuck past security' to 'well yeah she had credentials but probably blew a bunch of dudes to get them'?

Cause that's what it seems like.

I read through it when it came out and hated it.

Too many drunken, inaccurate takes on events, their relevance and influence. But, undoubtedly shared by narrow-minded locals who instantly believe any headline, and who frankly perpetuate the "Patriots Suck" propaganda that's been trumpeted by media, opponents and the league since the 1970 merger.

Every team in the NFL had more players using recreational drugs than the Patriots in 1986...but it was the Pats who are blown up in another fake "scandal". It was, what, five players? Total. And none used as much as Lawrence Taylor or Dexter Manley.

In '91 NFL Commissioner Paul "The Patriots Damaged The League" Tagliabue [see R. Goodell] ordered an investigation under the aegis of former Watergate scandal prosecutor Philip Heymann [see T. Wells] and in addition to ignoring the facts and covering their asses, three young African-American players were fined, after being accused of ("mind-") rape.

To put this in perspective, let's say I head out to Phoenix, sneak past security and worm my way onto a local paper's staff, and pretending to be a reporter walk into the U.S Women's Olympic Soccer team's locker room after a match. I could be entirely honorable or even gay; but if I'm sitting there transfixed and staring at scantily clad young women, one or more of them might complain to management; and if nothing happens after that the athletes just might express some kind of disapproval of my behavior and subsequent presence.

Only now I turn into poor, attacked, innocent victim and the athlete's behavior and language is all directed maliciously at me; I know this because I miraculously am able to monitor all of it as I am still performing all my journalistic duties. I am a pioneer for male reporters entering female locker rooms and hailed and praised for decades afterward.

Meanwhile, members of the team are fined by the USOC after I accused them of ("quasi-") rape.

Gayle Gardner (nee Granik) covered the Pats in 1976 and never complained about anything.
Lisa Olson was "clearly disturbed?" No, jackass, you are. Lisa Olson was clearly abused. No amount of misogynistic whitewashing by you, or anyone else, is going to change that fact. You should be ashamed and embarrassed.

So am I reading you wrong or are you pivoting from 'she was an insane person to snuck past security' to 'well yeah she had credentials but probably blew a bunch of dudes to get them'?

Cause that's what it seems like.
Olson was born and raised in the metropolitan area of Phoenix, Arizona. Her family were fervent sports fans. She attended Apollo and Shadow Mountain high schools, and graduated from Northern Arizona University's journalism program in 1987. She was the sports editor of her high school and college newspapers.

After her graduation from college, she moved to the East Coast to attend graduate school, but she decided to pursue a career in sportswriting. One day, she went unannounced to see an editor of the Boston Herald and asked for a job. (She had tried to do the same thing at the Boston Globe, but could not get past security.) The Herald editor offered her a position handling horse-racing agate. She impressed her supervisors, and the paper hired her as a paid sports journalist. She was assigned to cover the Boston Bruins, the 1990 Super Bowl, and, beginning in the fall of 1990, the New England Patriots.

She is certainly not the first female media member to cover the Patriots.

Olson was born and raised in the metropolitan area of Phoenix, Arizona. Her family were fervent sports fans. She attended Apollo and Shadow Mountain high schools, and graduated from Northern Arizona University's journalism program in 1987. She was the sports editor of her high school and college newspapers.

After her graduation from college, she moved to the East Coast to attend graduate school, but she decided to pursue a career in sportswriting. One day, she went unannounced to see an editor of the Boston Herald and asked for a job. (She had tried to do the same thing at the Boston Globe, but could not get past security.) The Herald editor offered her a position handling horse-racing agate. She impressed her supervisors, and the paper hired her as a paid sports journalist. She was assigned to cover the Boston Bruins, the 1990 Super Bowl, and, beginning in the fall of 1990, the New England Patriots.

Honestly? You write as though you're a stalker.

What does this even mean in relation to my post?

Sincere question - are you on medication?

why? whaddya got?

why? whaddya got?

I would wager serious dough fordncircle has thorazine in his medicine cabinet.
Probably some lithium as well.
They treat schizophrenia and bipolar disease,respectively.
That being said, he's more in touch with reality than APF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back