PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: McDonough Reveals Terrific Brady Story

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
This was in the thing I wrote this morning, but I didn't want anyone here who doesn't read it to miss it - because it's pretty terrific:

---
Television commentator Sean McDonough appeared on The Greg Hill Show earlier this week and talked about a variety of things both on the Patriots and Red Sox, but there was one he brought up that was really special when it came to one of his conversations with former Patriots quarterback, Tom Brady.

He was asked about what his favorite Brady moment was and McDonough said that there wasn’t an on-field moment, but instead, there was an exchange with his dad that explained a lot about how incredible of a person Brady really is that stood out.

“Yeah, it would be off the field, I guess,” said McDonough. “We were together on a golf trip, and his dad had a Super Bowl ring. And, it’s a long story, but basically, the first Super Bowl that they won, Tom had his Super Bowl ring sized for his dad, and at the ring ceremony, he gave it to his dad, I believe it was at Kraft’s house. And his dad was like, ‘What’s this?’ And [Brady] said, ‘Well, that’s for you. Thanks to you, I’ve been able to achieve things like this, and you’ve been an important part of every moment of my life.’ Tom did that, never knowing if he was ever going to play in another Super Bowl again, nevermind win one.”

“I think he’s a really special guy, on and off the field. It’s been a pleasure to get to know him and his family. His Dad, I’ve played golf with his dad a few times, and his dad is one of the nicest people I’ve ever met.”

Like everyone else, McDonough is excited for Brady to be honored this weekend,

“I think it’s going to be a really special day down there this weekend. I’m glad he’s getting what he deserves and I’m sure the reaction will be tremendous.”
--

Definitely an amazing revelation when you consider the fact that as McDonough said, he obviously had no idea if he'd ever potentially win another one. Just a really cool story, and I'm also glad that the club is streaming the halftime ceremony this weekend as well for those of us who won't be at the stadium live to see it.

Last edited:
That stadium is going to be shaking with all the cheering

id anticipate a Brady, Brady, Brady chant to go on for an awkward amount of time

@Dingleberry what kind of odds can you give me?

If anyone doesn't already know, the stories such as this one and the others from his teammates who are still here remind us that he was Raised Right; and for those among us of a certain age, we know what that expression means...

When I was in the 1st-6th grades all the schools in Boston used the same standard, 4-sided report cards (that were still actually "cards" then) which, when opened, showed our subject grades including Conduct and Effort on the left side; while grades (expressed as A, S or U) for other "subjects" such as Respect for Authority, Respect for Property, Cooperation, Courtesy, Respect for the Rights of Others, et al were on the right side... My dad always reminded me that the first part of the card he looks at is its right side... Gotta admit there was more than one term out of my 18 altogether where I wished he would've looked at the left side first...

If Tom Brady had these particular subjects in his elementary school too, I betcha he would've received "A"s in all of them, never mind "S"s...

I think this story has McDonough's beat. Really touching.

This seems a good time for sharing favorite TB12 memories. In my case the top on-field memories are pretty much countless; I had the privilege of attending nearly all the games he played in Foxboro plus quite a few away games, including Super Bowls. But one special moment stands out from a preseason game around 15 years ago.

I was among a group of season ticket holders selected to line up on the Patriots sideline during a pregame "fan appreciation" event. The team came out of the tunnel as usual, led by Brady. But instead of doing his usual warmup thing Tom made a point of coming over to us with a big smile and said, "How you doin', guys!" It wasn't what he said but how he said it -- genuinely warm and enthusiastic, like he really meant it. And I think he did.

I think this story has McDonough's beat. Really touching.

Copying/pasting my post from another thread for the sake of a wise-ass remark makes you look typically small. It would've sufficed to just admit you didn't mature any during your summer timeout. At least for now your silly Zappe > Mac campaign has been shelved, thank goodness for that.

This was in the thing I wrote this morning, but I didn't want anyone here who doesn't read it to miss it - because it's pretty terrific:

---
Television commentator Sean McDonough appeared on The Greg Hill Show earlier this week and talked about a variety of things both on the Patriots and Red Sox, but there was one he brought up that was really special when it came to one of his conversations with former Patriots quarterback, Tom Brady.

He was asked about what his favorite Brady moment was and McDonough said that there wasn’t an on-field moment, but instead, there was an exchange with his dad that explained a lot about how incredible of a person Brady really is that stood out.

“Yeah, it would be off the field, I guess,” said McDonough. “We were together on a golf trip, and his dad had a Super Bowl ring. And, it’s a long story, but basically, the first Super Bowl that they won, Tom had his Super Bowl ring sized for his dad, and at the ring ceremony, he gave it to his dad, I believe it was at Kraft’s house. And his dad was like, ‘What’s this?’ And [Brady] said, ‘Well, that’s for you. Thanks to you, I’ve been able to achieve things like this, and you’ve been an important part of every moment of my life.’ Tom did that, never knowing if he was ever going to play in another Super Bowl again, nevermind win one.”

“I think he’s a really special guy, on and off the field. It’s been a pleasure to get to know him and his family. His Dad, I’ve played golf with his dad a few times, and his dad is one of the nicest people I’ve ever met.”

Like everyone else, McDonough is excited for Brady to be honored this weekend,

“I think it’s going to be a really special day down there this weekend. I’m glad he’s getting what he deserves and I’m sure the reaction will be tremendous.”
--

Definitely an amazing revelation when you consider the fact that as McDonough said, he obviously had no idea if he'd ever potentially win another one. Just a really cool story, and I'm also glad that the club is streaming the halftime ceremony this weekend as well for those of us who won't be at the stadium live to see it.
Well, it beats what Derek Sanderson inadvertently did on Mother's Day, 1970.

After feeding Bobby for the OT Cup winner, everybody jumped on the ice, and somebody was tugging at Turk's back during the jubilant chaos, so he turned around and slugged the guy.

It was his dad.

OK so not exactly Jim Craig, but Derek really did appreciate and love his dad.

If anyone doesn't already know, the stories such as this one and the others from his teammates who are still here remind us that he was Raised Right; and for those among us of a certain age, we know what that expression means...

When I was in the 1st-6th grades all the schools in Boston used the same standard, 4-sided report cards (that were still actually "cards" then) which, when opened, showed our subject grades including Conduct and Effort on the left side; while grades (expressed as A, S or U) for other "subjects" such as Respect for Authority, Respect for Property, Cooperation, Courtesy, Respect for the Rights of Others, et al were on the right side... My dad always reminded me that the first part of the card he looks at is its right side... Gotta admit there was more than one term out of my 18 altogether where I wished he would've looked at the left side first...

If Tom Brady had these particular subjects in his elementary school too, I betcha he would've received "A"s in all of them, never mind "S"s...
I actually have a letter here that I started very early in Brady's career. The letter is addressed to his dad and in it I comment about what a great job that he, his wife and older sisters did bringing up Tom Jr. Someday soon I'll update it and send it on it's way.

Being of similar age, of course I know  exactly wherefore you speak.
I was  always held accountable for doing the right thing. Character was more important than anything else.
My parents would never cover up for me if I did something wrong- I would always have to face  all the consequences, regardless if it hurt my future.
Thats the big difference I see today-parents covering up for cheating,lying,stealing or worse from their kids.
If I ever did anything illegal and got away with it, if my Dad found out he would drag my ass to the local Police Dept. and rat me out. That actually happened once.
That is real love. Character matters above everything.

I was  always held accountable for doing the right thing. Character was more important than anything else.
My parents would never cover up for me if I did something wrong- I would always have to face  all the consequences, regardless if it hurt my future.
Thats the big difference I see today-parents covering up for cheating,lying,stealing or worse from their kids.
If I ever did anything illegal and got away with it, if my Dad found out he would drag my ass to the local Police Dept. and rat me out. That actually happened once.
Same here, we stole some lumber from some construction in our neighborhood. My father turned me in and made me pay for the lumber.

I dont see it as just the parents, there has been a major tone shift society wide. My teenage son has to walk home from the bus stop about a mile everyday and passes a stop n shop. I found out he had a back pack FULL of candy, like at least 100$ worth. I knew there was no way he had actually paid for it, though hethought he was creative in his lies for why he believed he had. I took his ass down to the store, asked to talk to the manager, and made him pay for the stuff he had already eaten, returning the rest, expecting....something....anything from the store about what they do to thieves. Basically got a *shrug* corporate policy blah blah nothing we can do even if we have them on camera etc. Just write it off anyway. I was shocked and i am pretty sure the leason my son got was who cares what i do only my parents gave me ****. As far as i know he hasnt stolen since but i remember shop lifting a tiny plastic duck as a small child and my parents making me return it and the shop owner putting the fear of god in me.

Yeah that time my Dad brought me to the station they put me in an interrogation room. Just like you see on TV. I was 16 and the cop scared the **** out of me- on top of being ashamed and embarrassed at what Id dine.Looking back on it years later, I wondered if my old man talked to the cop and told him to scare me. Regardless, lesson learned. But the worst part for me was just being totally ashamed at letting my parents down. But my Dad saved me from going down a bad road. Some of my friends were hoodlums. I cut some ties after that

"Actions have consequences" we were told... I heard that phrase so much a kid that I thought our folks learned it from the game show Bob Barker was hosting at the time...

Heck our mother would tell us that when she would meet our elementary school teachers in September, she would tell them that they have her (& our dad's) permission to punish us in Any Way they saw fit, including the patented Moe Howard dope-slaps! I learned that lesson right out of the gate in 1st grade...Ouch!

Heck our mother would tell us that when she would meet our elementary school teachers in September, she would tell them that they have her (& our dad's) permission to punish us in Any Way they saw fit, including the patented Moe Howard dope-slaps! I learned that lesson right out of the gate in 1st grade...Ouch!
Then the adults were in charge.

Now the inmates run the show. And no learning is going on.

Ask a young person, “Which U.S. President said, ‘The only thing we have to fear is fear itself’?”

They simply don’t know. It’s incredible.

Then the adults were in charge.

Now the inmates run the show. And no learning is going on.

Ask a young person, “Which U.S. President said, ‘The only thing we have to fear is fear itself’?”

They simply don’t know. It’s incredible.
Not their fault the culture and society they've been born into.

People - especially children - are unbelievably resilient, and capable of learning.

Encouraging, and educating them is the crucial challenge for us.

Believe me, most of them are incredibly frustrated inside.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back