PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: The Case for Eliot Wolf to be Elevated to General Manager in Front Office

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did I say that? My only point has been that you posted a thread claiming to “ make the argument for Eliot Wolf,” and then never made any good argument. I don’t care who Belichick chooses as his 2nd in command because I don’t know enough about either to take a position on it, I don’t even know if Belichick is going to fill the position now, and I don’t believe any fans have enough knowledge of their inner workings to make a case for anyone, as you have inadvertently proven to this point. I’m far more interested in seeing what the overall direction is going to be than I am front office positions. Once Belichick starts making serious decisions I’ll have more of an opinion on them, right now everything is up in the air. By May we should have a good sense of where is is going with the franchise, right now it’s impossible to tell.

How can you expect the overall direction to change if it's the same stooges giving bad info to Belichick ?

How can you expect the overall direction to change if it's the same stooges giving bad info to Belichick ?
1) You are the person who thinks Belichick does what “ stooges” tell him to.

2) Belichick runs the franchise, their success or failure rests on his shoulders.

3) Belichick is the greatest coach/ GM in NFL history, I believe he will get them back to Championship level before he retires. Whether I’m right or not only time will tell.

2) Belichick runs the franchise, their success or failure rests on his shoulders.

3) Belichick is the greatest coach/ GM in NFL history, I believe he will get them back to Championship level before he retires. Whether I’m right or not only time will tell.

bb is a franchise qb away from getting back to championship level teams.

he can fix our defense fairly quickly. He can sign free agent receivers.

but a franchise qb is the hardest thing in sports to find.

He doesn't do what people tell him. He's the final decision maker. Any GM is at the mercy of the reports and information he uses to make the decision. He was awesome at drafting from 2009-2012 and 2001-2004. The periods McDaniels were here are our worst drafts, 2005-2008 and 2013-2019. So we know Belichick can be great when the evaluators he has are good. The last 7 years he's been getting info from guys who thought Laurence Maroney was good, Chad Jackson was good, Tim Tebow was good, Alphonso Smith, Aaron Dobson, NKeal Harry. He makes decision off the value grouping draft method only as good as the opinions on the reports.

StephenA today said Brady left New England because of the decline of offensive weapons, whiffing on NKeal, Sanu, and AB. They'll try to pin this on Belichick but this is the classic work of McDaniels.

StephenA today said Brady left New England because of the decline of offensive weapons, whiffing on NKeal, Sanu, and AB. They'll try to pin this on Belichick but this is the classic work of McDaniels.
We've gotten to the point where you listen to absurd people just because they have a history of hating Belichick like you do.

We've gotten to the point where you listen to absurd people just because they have a history of hating Belichick like you do.

It's fact the Patriot drafts have been abysmal since 2013. Coincidence on the years, to exactly when Josh came back. They then tried super hard to help Brady by spending a 1st on NKeal, AB, and Sanu. The Harry and Sanu moves were total busts. Brady left for a better situation. Who do you think is telling Belichick those players looked good and we should do it? Belichick is getting advice and it's terrible opinion. Time for a change.

If Belichick isn't going to see the Senior Bowl we absolutely need Eliot Wolf there. We can't afford any more second-hand crap from McDaniels and Ziegler saying some WR bust was good at the senior bowl.

I'm not going to act like I have any idea what McGill has done, but I guess it's a win for the "change" crowd.

I'm not going to act like I have any idea what McGill has done, but I guess it's a win for the "change" crowd.

i guess we finally found out who was pounding the table for us to draft Harry!

i guess we finally found out who was pounding the table for us to draft Harry!

Nah it says he was a pro scout. So maybe it was the Sanu move and Ziegler covering his ass. But I wouldn't say it's the college scouting dept's fault either when we know an idiot thumbs up from our OC can override the scouting dept. Multiple examples of this.

Nah it says he was a pro scout. So maybe it was the Sanu move and Ziegler covering his ass. But I wouldn't say it's the college scouting dept's fault either when we know an idiot thumbs up from our OC can override the scouting dept. Multiple examples of this.

how do we know it wasn’t caserio pounding the table for Harry?

how do we know it wasn’t caserio pounding the table for Harry?

Who knows. I just know Caserio was around when we drafted great from 2009-2012. So maybe he's neither good nor bad. We've drafted like crap since McDaniels and Ziegler joined back.

Who knows. I just know Caserio was around when we drafted great from 2009-2012. So maybe he's neither good nor bad. We've drafted like crap since McDaniels and Ziegler joined back.
Those years also marked the tenure of Floyd Reese here as Senior Advisor, after Scott Pioli left to take the Queefs' GM job...Little Nicky became Bill's right-hand man in 2013, which of course produced Aaron Dropson instead of Keenan Allen, but also gave us Jamie Collins & Logan Ryan, and a 7th-rounder that became Lagarrette Blunt, to be fair...

Michael Lombardi was brought into the building for the next couple of years as Nicky's mentor/babysitter, same as Reese; but that relationship started off disastrously with the Dom Easily pick and continued with a failed attempt to restock the pipeline along the OL; though 2014 also gave us Garoppolo, James White, and a UDFA CB from a school no longer playing football...forget his name...

2015 was a little better, including C David Andrews as a UDFA, though it also produced Glitch Richards instead of Tyler Lockett; Geeno Gruesome instead of, well, anybody else; Tre Jackson, another broken-down Florida St OLman; and a LB/S who is clinically half-blind...

2016, the final draft with Lombardi in the building, again started poorly with the Cyrus the Virus pick and except for Thuney & Mongo produced little aside from a few months of Malcolm Mitchell & Jacoby Brissett turning into Phil Dorsett...

The proceeding drafts, under Bill & Nicky (with maybe more influence from Skippy & Ziegler, possibly at the request of Nicky himself), have been nearly complete, utter disasters...But now that Little Nicky is trying on big boy pants in Houston, perhaps the case can indeed be made to give the Wolf more say in the draft room, and the remaining members of the John Carroll cabal less of it...before it's too late...

Last edited:
Those years also marked the tenure of Floyd Reese here as Senior Advisor, after Scott Pioli left to take the Queefs' GM job...Little Nicky became Bill's right-hand man in 2013, which of course produced Aaron Dropson instead of Keenan Allen, but also gave us Jamie Collins & Logan Ryan, and a 7th-rounder that became Lagarrette Blunt, to be fair...

Michael Lombardi was brought into the building for the next couple of years as Nicky's mentor/babysitter, same as Reese; but that relationship started off disastrously with the Dom Easily pick and continued with a failed attempt to restock the pipeline along the OL; though 2014 also gave us Garoppolo, James White, and a UDFA CB from a school no longer playing football...forget his name...
2015 was a little better, including C David Andrews as a UDFA, though it also produced Glitch Richards instead of Tyler Lockett; Geeno Gruesome instead of, well, anybody else; Tre Jackson, another broken-down Florida St OLman; and a LB/S who is clinically half-blind...
2016, the final draft with Lombardi in the building, again started poorly with the Cyrus the Virus pick and except for Thuney & Mongo produced little aside from a few months of Malcolm Mitchell & Jacoby Brissett turning into Phil Dorsett...

The proceeding drafts, under Bill & Nicky (with maybe more influence from Skippy & Ziegler, possibly at the request of Nicky himself), have been nearly complete, utter disasters...But now that Little Nicky is trying on big boy pants in Houston, perhaps the case can indeed be made to give the Wolf more say in the draft room, and the remaining members of the John Carroll cabal less of it...before it's too late...

For the record 2012-13 is also when McDaniels came back. No coincidence there. We also drafted like crap from 05-09 when McDaniels was also here. Drafted well the 3 years he was not here (2009-2012).

For the record 2012-13 is also when McDaniels came back. No coincidence there. We also drafted like crap from 05-09 when McDaniels was also here. Drafted well the 3 years he was not here (2009-2012).
We certainly drafted better, though we still left some points on the field during those years too:

2009: Busto Brace instead of Connor Barwin; Brandon Tate instead of Mike Wallace; Ty Homesick McKenzie; little Richie the comedian ZeroBurger; Georgie Bustey; Jake the Fake (Part 1) Ingram; little Myron Pryor; and DT Darryl Chill Richard instead of Chris Baker or Steve McClendon or Harvard's own Desmond Bryant...

2010: Germy Cunnyham instead of the Charlie Weis-trained Golden Tate; Taylor but he's a good blocker for a WR Price; Mess with the Zoltan Mesko instead of SS Reshard Jones; FOUR 7th-rounders with Nothing to show for them...

2011: Glas-IR Dowling; Markell Carter; Mal Williams...

2012: Tavon the Error Repeater Wilson; Jake the Fake (Part 2) Bequette; ZERO picks between #90 (Bequette and 197 (Nate Ebner); Jeremy don't call me Roger Ebert...

Last edited:
We certainly drafted better, though we still left some points on the field during those years too:

2009: Busto Brace instead of Connor Barwin; Brandon Tate instead of Mike Wallace; Ty McKenzie; little Richie the comedian ZeroBurger; Georgie Bustey; Jake the Fake (Part 1) Ingram; little Myron Pryor; and DT Darryl Chill Richard instead of Chris Baker or Steve McClendon or Harvard's own Desmond Bryant...

2010: Germy Cunnyham instead of the Charlie Weis-trained Golden Tate; Taylor but he's a good blocker for a WR Price; Mess with the Zoltan Mesko instead of SS Reshard Jones; 4 7th-rounders with Nothing to show for them...

2011: Glas-IR Dowling; Markell Carter; Mal Williams...

2012: Tavon the Error Repeater Wilson; Jake the Fake (Part 2) Bequette; ZERO picks between #90 (Bequette and 197 (Nate Ebner); Jeremy don't call me Roger Ebert...

agreed not perfect. Just a lot of total great draft value or foundational guys. 2001-2004 and 2009-2012 were our best draft periods. Coincidentally both periods were without mcdaniels messing things up from 05-09 and 2013-now.

No major change with Ziegler and McDaniels, the DIII John Carroll boys, walking around Foxboro. The same inept personnel talent trend the last half dozen years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes