PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: The Case for Eliot Wolf to be Elevated to General Manager in Front Office

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolf was assistant GM already which is more than anyone on the Patriots staff. Unless you want to count Ziegler in charge of pro personnel when we traded a 2nd for Sanu as good experience. Wolf made good changes in Cleveland and also part of a winning Packers franchise. His biggest knock was GMs typically aren't that young.

You hang your case on one trade... and ignore all the good solid FA acquisitions made by the Patriots, some of which directly lead to multiple Super Bowl championships.

The Plus Column: Stephon Gilmore, Jason McCourty, Darrelle Revis, Alan Branch, Kyle Van Noy, Martellus Bennett, Trent Brown, Lawrence Guy, Danny Shelton, Dion Lewis, Rex Burkhead, Nick Folk, Adrian Phillips, John Simon

The Minus Column: Mohammed Sanu, Beau Allen, Cam Newton, Marshall Newhouse,

I realize i could list a hundred guys from over the years in both columns, but regardless, the hits far out weigh the misses... Jason McCourty & Stephon Gilmore are directly responsible for our last Super Bowl victory... Darrelle Revis had a huge hand in SB 49... etc etc...

So we have a proven track record established by the Patriots front office over the last decade, and you want to throw that to the side in favor of a guy who, what, spent his years in Green Bay & Cleveland doing what? Putting together incomplete teams, with vastly under performing rosters?

Is he knowledgeable? Im sure he is, otherwise he wouldn't be here... but still, not sure I understand the allure

Wolf was assistant GM already which is more than anyone on the Patriots staff. Unless you want to count Ziegler in charge of pro personnel when we traded a 2nd for Sanu as good experience. Wolf made good changes in Cleveland and also part of a winning Packers franchise. His biggest knock was GMs typically aren't that young.

Amendola, LaFell, Hogan, Cooks, Blount, Bennett, Lewis, Burkhead, Trent Brown, Branch, Revis, Hicks, Sheard, KVN, Long, Guy, Shelton, Gilmore, JMac, Patterson.. but yeah.. that one time we made an emergency trade for Sanu and he wrecked his ankle..

jVlXMI4.jpg

This strategy makes no sense.

Especially because we sign tons of players as veteran free agents that apparently were never on our draft board.

RE Pape. Yup. Rode those off of great drafts from 2009-2012. And have had absolutely terrible drafts and no development from 2012 to now. Empty cupboard. But yes some John Carroll hacks are excellent are riding bandwagons. Now we have to rebuild. We need new blood in Foxboro that isn't from John Carroll. How about some brainpower that isn't from a subpar school not known for its intelligence.

RE Pape. Yup. Rode those off of great drafts from 2009-2012. And have had absolutely terrible drafts and no development from 2012 to now. Empty cupboard. But yes some John Carroll hacks are excellent are riding bandwagons. Now we have to rebuild. We need new blood in Foxboro that isn't from John Carroll. How about some brainpower that isn't from a subpar school not known for its intelligence.

free agency and the draft

I think everybody here other than the normal complainers would be perfectly fine with keeping Wolf on board past this year. But you really need to give some better reasons than "good changes" and "winning franchise" and "wasn't with the team when they traded for Sanu" to convince anybody that he's worth promoting all the way to GM.

That was Then (with TFB). This is Now (without TFB).
TB12 didnt play those games by himself... defense and special teams were huge parts of those three wins, along with Tommy, of course

give BB a chance... he deserves it... lot easier for TB12 to succeed on a team thats been a perennial top ten drafter for the last decade than it is to 1) replace the GOAT and 2) rebuild the aging roster that was held together longer than it should have been in order to facilitate the GOATs drive for 7...

BB has said it - the Players play... now he needs to find the players that will replace the Legendary Patriot players from the past decade... its not an easy task... I think BB is up for the challenge

BB has said it - the Players play... now he needs to find the players that will replace the Legendary Patriot players from the past decade... its not an easy task... I think BB is up for the challenge

the hard one is going to be qb.

but if bb can get someone to stack a proper draft board and then not try to hit grand slams and just take the home runs, we can be back in the playoffs as soon as we get a real qb,

the hard one is going to be qb.

but if bb can get someone to stack a proper draft board and then not try to hit grand slams and just take the home runs, we can be back in the playoffs as soon as we get a real qb,
so you are saying Andy Dalton isn't the answer in 2021? eek

lol, yeah, always hard to find a good qb... its nigh on impossible to be the follow up act to the greatest to ever play the position

Dunno.... the next "GM Lite" will have to work well with BB and the Krafts.

At the end of the day, it's BB's call....and all those drafts/FA signings are the sole responsibility of BB...the buck stops at BB (shrugs).

Agree with you. I'm also not saying to diminish BB. If his official title is HC and GM then bump him up to HC and VP or SVP. Slide an experienced GM under him who still reports to BB. The current structure does not work. He needs more experienced voices in the war room talking to him. Fewer John Carroll boys. Maybe some more people with actual brain power.

I thought Jennings looked lost. Maybe a full camp would have helped, but I figured he'd be a little more 'game ready' considering the program he came from.

so did I. He made so many mental mistakes, it was brutal to watch.

there is no doubt that a full offseason will be extremely beneficial to his development.

You can call him what you want... call him the General Manager if it pleases you... but whoever holds that position is still subordinate to Belichick.
That’s why I just don’t stress out about these hirings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes