PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Texans Interested in AB?

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Desperate times are apparently potentially calling for desperate measures for Bill O'Brien:

I don't know if he's a guy who can handle the type of challenges that might come with this one :rolleyes:

Desperate times are apparently potentially calling for desperate measures for Bill O'Brien:

I don't know if he's a guy who can handle the type of challenges that might come with this one :rolleyes:
Bill “O’Buying Time”...

Last edited:
Watson signed a four-year $177.5m contract in September

In the first 2 games of the season the Texans have scored 17 points in the first 3 quarters.

Lets just say if Watson was Tom Brady they would be saying he was washed up.:eek:

Texans could have probably had Brady and Hopkins for the price of Watson

You would think that Watson could do more than he has with

Cooks
Fuller
Stills
Cobb

The Texans and Jets

Cooks
Fuller
Stills
Cobb

Couldn't agree more...as much a I think the Texans are absolute buffoons for their personnel decisions, I don't know how Watson isn't getting any blame for this. That group of WRs is solid and deep; there are lots of QBs who would be thrilled to have that corps. Watson needs to change his style and get rid of the ball quicker because his current style has reached the end its shelf life. 8 sacks in two games...offensive linemen don't make much difference when your instinct is to tuck and scramble.

LMFAOOOO they had Hopkins. What a moron.
true... but they didn't want to pay him... signed a 2 year 54 million dollar extension, something like 40+/- guaranteed...

can probably get AB on the cheap comparatively... albeit for only a half season...

Cooks
Fuller
Stills
Cobb

I've seen blame for Watson across the board (and I agree with it). This seems like one of those things everyone believes but they think they're the only one who believes it.

LMFAOOOO they had Hopkins. What a moron.

Wasn't the trade necessary? They weren't going to shell out the money Hopkins wanted, so a hold out was very likely. Then, the next season they get nothing for him. IIRC it was a case of get what you can while you can.

Wasn't the trade necessary? They weren't going to shell out the money Hopkins wanted, so a hold out was very likely. Then, the next season they get nothing for him. IIRC it was a case of get what you can while you can.

Yeah...well two things.

First, the team holds all the cards. Hopkins would need to hold out and forego a large amount of money; in addition, the new CBA does not allow teams to rescind holdout fines, so that's a lot of money Hopkins would be unable to recover.

Second, it isn't so much that they traded him but the return they got back. A second round pick and David Johnson...lmfao! Just look at the trade market for these guys...OBJ fetched a first and third. The worst possible value was established when they then used a second round pick and traded that for Brandin Cooks...lmfaoooo! I mean, you're swapping draft comp to trade a top 10 NFL player and arguably the best receiver in the NFL for Cooks. How can that happen?

On the other hand, they traded two first round picks (!) for Laremy Tunsil, a guy who is good but not even elite and not all-pro level, and who doesn't even appear to be shoring up their blocking. And they paid him by far the most money of any LT in the league, yet they wouldn't use that to extend Hopkins. This was after they traded Duane Brown, their longtime excellent LT, for a sack of potatoes because they didn't want to increase his salary (his demands were very reasonable.)

The trade wasn’t necessary at all. They could have paid both, or they could have traded one, signed Hopkins, and signed Cam, for example.

Cooks
Fuller
Stills
Cobb

Not defending Watson here but I am looking at those names and all I see are nice complementary pieces.

I absolutely get that when it comes to contracts and superstars you sometimes have to make tough decisions when it comes to value but Hopkins was a chess piece that made everyone's life around him easier the same way Gronk was for the Pats (minus the elite run blocking which put peak Gronk into an even higher tier.. but that is a different story).

I guess BoB thought he could get with 4 WR2/3s by exploiting matchups against lesser corners ? Is that it ? The entire Hopkins move just boggles my mind.

Last edited:

He won't even touch the field this year due to suspensions. So what is this a futures deal ?

Yeah...well two things.

First, the team holds all the cards. Hopkins would need to hold out and forego a large amount of money; in addition, the new CBA does not allow teams to rescind holdout fines, so that's a lot of money Hopkins would be unable to recover.

Second, it isn't so much that they traded him but the return they got back. A second round pick and David Johnson...lmfao! Just look at the trade market for these guys...OBJ fetched a first and third. The worst possible value was established when they then used a second round pick and traded that for Brandin Cooks...lmfaoooo! I mean, you're swapping draft comp to trade a top 10 NFL player and arguably the best receiver in the NFL for Cooks. How can that happen?

On the other hand, they traded two first round picks (!) for Laremy Tunsil, a guy who is good but not even elite and not all-pro level, and who doesn't even appear to be shoring up their blocking. And they paid him by far the most money of any LT in the league, yet they wouldn't use that to extend Hopkins. This was after they traded Duane Brown, their longtime excellent LT, for a sack of potatoes because they didn't want to increase his salary (his demands were very reasonable.)

Maybe, but potatoes are good!

I wasn't really saying they did it right - the timing could have been better, plus the return of course - but why they did it.

Also, didn't realize the CBA was that strict.

Cooks
Fuller
Stills
Cobb
No disrespect, Bleed...

Cooks - Overrated because he's so fast
Fuller - Decent when he's on the field... just decent though
Still - Career third receiver who has had drop issues
Cobb - Not nearly what he was... injuries have taken a toll

I'm not defending Watson, so much as I'm pointing out they took one of the top three receivers in the game from him and surrounded him with guys who are average at best. I question if those guys collectively add up to Hopkins.

I think most NFL teams wouldn't look so hot right now if they drew the Ravens and the Chiefs as their first two opponents.

I think most NFL teams wouldn't look so hot right now if they drew the Ravens and the Chiefs as their first two opponents.

That‘s a good point. Though the Texans have definitely gotten worse, too. You just can’t make such horrible personnel decisions without getting worse, and on top of that Watson got paid.

Watson signed a four-year $177.5m contract in September

In the first 2 games of the season the Texans have scored 17 points in the first 3 quarters.

BOB ****ing sucks you don't need this sort of weird ass stat cherry picking to prove that.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back