PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Steph Curry joins Brady & Gretzky as history's only unanimous MVPs

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatSleepWinRepeat

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Stephen Curry's unanimous MVP victory is his greatest accomplishment

Broke the NBA regular season record, shattered the 3 point record, just broke the overtime scoring record, unanimous league MVP and still in contention for back to back championships.

Many already consider him the GSOAT but he is making a strong contention for GOAT granted he notches a few more ships.

One thing is for sure, right now he is the most exciting player in sports.

Last edited:
Odd that it was 2010 as not 2007 for Brady. Also strange MJ (or LeBron too for that matter) was never unanimous.

Bryce Harper was an unanimous NL MVP

He's a terrific, electrifying player who is an astoundingly great outside shooter. I love watching him play. However, I don't believe he was without question the MVP this year and he's not close to the GOAT. At least not yet.

He's a terrific, electrifying player who is an astoundingly great outside shooter. I love watching him play. However, I don't believe he was without question the MVP this year and he's not close to the GOAT. At least not yet.
Why?

While keeping in mind that the unanimity of the award is pretty arbitrary in many ways (it's like a micro version of the 'first ballot HOF' debate), who else would you vote for in the 2016 NBA, besides the best player and leader of the team that steamrolled the league from start to finish and ended up with the most wins of all-time? I think the Cavs would suffer more without Lebron than the GSW without Curry, sure, but I'm not surprised that no one voted for him for awkwardly leading/dragging the Cavs through a coach firing and the most uneven and uninspiring 57-win season in NBA history. Particularly in contrast to the Warriors unrepentant brilliance in lighting up the entire league, and Steph being the lightning rod for all of that while personally dragging them to probably 7-8 wins (and thus that wins record) in games they had no business winning.

PS Not touching the GOAT thing because it really isn't close to a question - Curry is only in either his 2nd or 3rd year as a peak MVP-level player.

Huh?

Who else the NBA was even marginally close to him this season? Nobody.

There was no one playing at his level, whatsoever.

I am amazed at my own transformation in how I felt about the Warriors and Curry. I did not like them in the beginning but when they got close to breaking the record and some of the old time Bulls started mouthing off, it completely changed my attitude towards them. I don't care if they win however, but I want to watch video game stuff from Curry.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: TBR
What a game last night! I had some pretty good cash on GS at -6.5 and said to my girlfriend with about 3-4 mins left "I think the onl chance I have is to go to OT". I was going pretty nuts during that OT.

Why?

While keeping in mind that the unanimity of the award is pretty arbitrary in many ways (it's like a micro version of the 'first ballot HOF' debate), who else would you vote for in the 2016 NBA, besides the best player and leader of the team that steamrolled the league from start to finish and ended up with the most wins of all-time? I think the Cavs would suffer more without Lebron than the GSW without Curry, sure, but I'm not surprised that no one voted for him for awkwardly leading/dragging the Cavs through a coach firing and the most uneven and uninspiring 57-win season in NBA history. Particularly in contrast to the Warriors unrepentant brilliance in lighting up the entire league, and Steph being the lightning rod for all of that while personally dragging them to probably 7-8 wins (and thus that wins record) in games they had no business winning.

PS Not touching the GOAT thing because it really isn't close to a question - Curry is only in either his 2nd or 3rd year as a peak MVP-level player.
It depends on one's definition of MVP. Some define it as the best player in a given year. Some prefer defining it as the player most indispensable to his team. Others say it's a combination of the two, both the best and most indispensable, as I prefer. In my mind, Curry was clearly the best, but not necessarily the most indispensable. I'm not saying he didn't deserve MVP votes, he absolutely did. I just don't think he deserved all of them. Just my opinion.

Good for him.

I would say guys that should have also got the honor but never did were Jordan, Orr, Bill Russell & Joe Montana.

Odd that it was 2010 as not 2007 for Brady.

The equally successful and historic season from Randy Moss was the sole reason Brady didn't sweep it in 2007, as well.

The equally successful and historic season from Randy Moss was the sole reason Brady didn't sweep it in 2007, as well.
No, it's not. It's because a Green Bay writer voted for Favre.

It depends on one's definition of MVP. Some define it as the best player in a given year. Some prefer defining it as the player most indispensable to his team. Others say it's a combination of the two, both the best and most indispensable, as I prefer. In my mind, Curry was clearly the best, but not necessarily the most indispensable. I'm not saying he didn't deserve MVP votes, he absolutely did. I just don't think he deserved all of them. Just my opinion.
This logic doesn't make any sense. Getting all of the votes doesn't mean no other player had a great/valuable season, it means that each writer (and the fans) individually thought that Curry had the best season (which, for once, is fairly obvious). Saying he "didn't deserve all the votes" makes no sense, seeing as he didn't get all the votes, he got all the first-place votes. What, fifteen voters should've had to vote for someone else?

Out of curiosity, who would get your MVP vote?

And if not for a solitary moron in 2007, Brady would've done it twice.

Yep, some dipstick writer in Green Bay voted for Favre. I remember the writer being interviewed on WEEI, he admitted that Favre didn't deserve to be MVP, he knew that Brady was going to win MVP in a landslide so he gave Favre a vote as a tribute, or some such BS

Love Steph but GSOAT?

Title still belongs to LB.

He's in the discussion, though.

Love Steph but GSOAT?

Title still belongs to LB.

He's in the discussion, though.

What is this based on? Curry has a far better career 3pt%, far better career true FG%, and better career FT%. Bird has a slight edge in 2Pt FG% (.509 to .503). Bird never came close to Curry's shooting numbers the last two years. Maybe in a different era Bird would've worked harder on his 3s and brought that percentage up some, but he was never hitting threes consistently from off the dribble and from the depths that Curry does. Nobody has ever.

What is this based on? Curry has a far better career 3pt%, far better career true FG%, and better career FT%. Bird has a slight edge in 2Pt FG% (.509 to .503). Bird never came close to Curry's shooting numbers the last two years. Maybe in a different era Bird would've worked harder on his 3s and brought that percentage up some, but he was never hitting threes consistently from off the dribble and from the depths that Curry does. Nobody has ever.
Bird is a superior 15-20 ft shooter. Tougher defenses back then. Isn't all about 3s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe