PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Steelers sign Ben Roethlisberger to new contract

They got their man

‘Spread the cash payment to 2022’. So is that a restructure/extension, or are they just paying him the 5m as a bonus that comes off their 2022 cap?

I know every team, including the Patriots at their peak, does it. But it still seems like a bad idea every time cap hit is pushed into the future. I suspect it would be done a lot less if front offices weren't worried about their own short term job security, because it's almost always the wrong decision for the long term health of the team.

What I love about this move is that it's also bad for the short term health of the team.

‘Spread the cash payment to 2022’. So is that a restructure/extension, or are they just paying him the 5m as a bonus that comes off their 2022 cap?
It's a $5M pay cut, and then a maximum restructure over fake four years. He'll get $1.075M minimum salary plus a $12.925M signing bonus spread over five years.

The "cash" comment confuses me a little. Cash is a horribly misused term most of the time when talking about contracts, but Schefter should know what he's doing. If he really means cash, then it means that the almost $13M signing bonus has multiple installments, one of which is in 2022. That's only a difference in cash flow, because it's treated the same on the cap either way. If Schefter actually means spreading the cap hit to 2022, then he's referring to how Ben would have $10.34M in dead money if his contract voids as scheduled next offseason.

Surprised they even want to go forward with Ben. He looked cooked last year. But maybe they also don't want to be in our situation hiring someone off the scrap heap hoping they will even be at big Ben's level

Super Bowl Bound!!

It's a $5M pay cut, and then a maximum restructure over fake four years. He'll get $1.075M minimum salary plus a $12.925M signing bonus spread over five years.

The "cash" comment confuses me a little. Cash is a horribly misused term most of the time when talking about contracts, but Schefter should know what he's doing. If he really means cash, then it means that the almost $13M signing bonus has multiple installments, one of which is in 2022. That's only a difference in cash flow, because it's treated the same on the cap either way. If Schefter actually means spreading the cap hit to 2022, then he's referring to how Ben would have $10.34M in dead money if his contract voids as scheduled next offseason.

Gotcha, so the scenario where he plays this year and retires, theyd still owe him the 10.34 next year?

I know every team, including the Patriots at their peak, does it. But it still seems like a bad idea every time cap hit is pushed into the future. I suspect it would be done a lot less if front offices weren't worried about their own short term job security, because it's almost always the wrong decision for the long term health of the team.

What I love about this move is that it's also bad for the short term health of the team.
The cap goes up. Every year, the cap goes up. It makes sense to push money into higher cap years.

This past year, there was an exceptional happening which changed the equation. That's all this is. Once things get back on track, the cap will rise again, and business (at least mostly) as usual will resume.

The Steelers front office is all in.

For 1 year. Ben "Cam" Roethlisberger.

Surprised they even want to go forward with Ben. He looked cooked last year. But maybe they also don't want to be in our situation hiring someone off the scrap heap hoping they will even be at big Ben's level
He had a QB rating of 94.1 last season. He led his team to a 12-4 record last season, even though the running game evaporated. He seemed to fade at the end of the season, along with the rest of the season.

I'm not saying that Roethlisberger 2020-2021 is going to be a repeat of Brady 2018-2020, but I am saying that the end of last season wasn't necessarily a guarantee of things to come.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back