PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Steelers ship Santonio to the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

NePatriots

PatsFans.com Draftnik
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Per Pro Football Talk... Santonio Holmes traded to the Jets for a 5th Round pick.

Last edited:
Re: Steelers ship Santonio to the Jets

The jets have been very aggresive this off season, last i heard they are still are out in front for JTaylor. They strike me as a team that thinks it only needs a couple of pieces to go all the way. I don't believe they are, i think they won't have as a good a record this year, they'll take a step back.

Last edited:

For a 5th round draft pick???

NM. I see it now on the front page.

But (A) it's a one-year rental, and (B) he faces a four-game suspension, so I guess that's about all they could get. . . .

Last edited:

The jets have been very aggresive this off season, last i heard they are still are out in front for JTaylor. They strike me as a team that thinks it only needs a couple of pieces to go all the way. I don't believe they are, i think they won't have as a good a record this year, they'll take a step back.

A step back? i dont like the jets at all but cmon they have had a good offseason. You add Cromartie to the secondary. add Santonio to thier WR corps and Sanchez will be in his second year. Sorry no step back, they will be better should be favorites for the AFC east, or maybe the entire AFC.

So, this is the part where people say how he's not that good and isn't worth a 5th round pick, right.

Ugh. I hate how aggresive the Jets are being.

Sexy Rexy sure isn't afraid to take chances.

Actually, the fact that Taylor's agent said Taylor won't sign anywhere until midweek at the earliest tells me that he is using the Jets to make the Dolphins or potentially another team make him an offer.

As for the Holmes move, it seems like a good move on its face but he will likely miss all of September. And with Sanchez losing most of the offseason, I don't know if they can get a continuity going and wonder if whether Sanchez will progress at all. If the Steelers really gave up Holmes for a fifth rounder, maybe they got word the suspension is more than just 4 games since Goodell could factor in his latest legal troubles into the suspension.

I think on their face the Jets are better. Time will tell how much or if they really are at all.

For a fifth round pick? Absolute steal for the Jets. Holmes is a gamebreaker--tremendous in the clutch and pretty underrated if you ask me--he will fit in with that city and team chemistry very well I think. Meanwhile Brady is doing yoga on a rooftop in Paris. ;)

Last edited:

Unreal! Why can't any of you people give other teams credit for anything?

How many rival teams called the pats stupid for giving up a second for welker and a fourth for moss? We had the last laugh on that one.

HOMERS. Homles for a fifth is a good move for the Jets.

Last edited:

A step back? i dont like the jets at all but cmon they have had a good offseason. You add Cromartie to the secondary. add Santonio to thier WR corps and Sanchez will be in his second year. Sorry no step back, they will be better should be favorites for the AFC east, or maybe the entire AFC.

Again, when did Cromartie become a good CB? As for Sanchez, how has his offseason surgery and lack of being able to workout affected his progress especially when a lot of QBs take a step back their second year as a starter. The Jets could be a legitimate title contender or they could take a step back. It is too soon to tell. They have been agressive this offseason for a team with little options, but they have gambled a bit with the players they aquired.

Again, when did Cromartie become a good CB? As for Sanchez, how has his offseason surgery and lack of being able to workout affected his progress especially when a lot of QBs take a step back their second year as a starter. The Jets could be a legitimate title contender or they could take a step back. It is too soon to tell. They have been agressive this offseason for a team with little options, but they have gambled a bit with the players they aquired.

Translation - the Jets could aquire Adrian Petterson for a second rounder and you'd find a way to say it was a poor move or had to many "unknowns". :rolleyes:

I am now a little worried.

Tremendous deal for the Jets. Holmes could take an 8 game vacation courtesy of the Goodell, and it would still be an excellent move for New York.

Actually, the fact that Taylor's agent said Taylor won't sign anywhere until midweek at the earliest tells me that he is using the Jets to make the Dolphins or potentially another team make him an offer.

As for the Holmes move, it seems like a good move on its face but he will likely miss all of September. And with Sanchez losing most of the offseason, I don't know if they can get a continuity going and wonder if whether Sanchez will progress at all. If the Steelers really gave up Holmes for a fifth rounder, maybe they got word the suspension is more than just 4 games since Goodell could factor in his latest legal troubles into the suspension.

I think on their face the Jets are better. Time will tell how much or if they really are at all.

LOL, you are a homer.

Holmes is a steal, period.

For a 5th round pick?

Supposedly, the possible suspension is a result of a substance abuse issue or a missed test, his off the field incident with the woman in Florida was dismissed, that's my understanding anyway.

But to get this guy, only 26 years old, for a 5th?

That is a STEAL

I could care less about missing 4 games, and it isn't like he won't be with the team for the entire off-season, OTA's and training camp, it will be like the Pace situation last year.

He will be our #3 WR, and with the off-the-field stuff, it hurts his position for a long term deal.

Great deal for the Jets, no matter how hard you spin it.

Re: Santonio Holmes is a Jet

And why couldn't the Patriots make this trade...?

Translation - the Jets could aquire Adrian Petterson for a second rounder and you'd find a way to say it was a poor move or had to many "unknowns". :rolleyes:

LOL

You nailed it.

Unreal! Why can't any of you people give other teams credit for anything?

How many rival teams called the pats stupid for giving up a second for welker and a fourth for moss? We had the last laugh on that one.

HOMERS. Homles for a fifth is a good move for the Jets.

You know what? I questioned the Moss trade myself when it happened and wasn't sure it was going to work out until the first game of the season in 2007. But just because people question moves that they will work out.

Cromartie is a huge risk. Everyone assumes that he will return to the level he was at for half a season in 2007. But he could be the soft player who gambles and loses like he was for a longer stretch with San Deigo.

They are gambling that LT's problems the last two years were the Chargers and not him wearing down and that Shonn Greene can be a fulltime lead back to replace Jones' production.

These risks could pay off big time or they could blow up in the Jets' face.

You bring up Moss and Welker, but the Pats gambled on Joey Galloway last year and lost. They gambled on Duane Starks, Monty Biesel, Steve Martin, and many other veterans and lost too. When you gamble, you do risk losing.

It's a great move for the Jets. Anyone who doesn't think that is either ******ed or in denial. They are significantly better on offense now. I guess if you want a bright side for the Patriots then look at it this way. The Steelers are worse now.

Comparing Adrian Peterson to Cromartie? LOL! I was on record when the Pats were rumored to be trading for Cromartie that I thought he sucked. So the only translation is that I think Cromartie sucks, but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he could rebound in the Jets' system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes