SOURCE:ProFootballTalk.com

SOURCE:Boston Herald

SOURCE:WEEI

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

OT: Sean Payton wearing Goodell clown shirt during press conference

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Brady_to_Moss, Jan 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatsFanInLondon

PatsFanInLondon On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +685
    I fully expect the NFL to take the Pats 1st round pick next season for being “generally aware” that Payton planned to wear that t-shirt...

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Hercules Rockefeller

Hercules Rockefeller Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1,916
    In this narrative that you are right now spinning, is the "victim" Sean Payton? If so, I'm genuinely curious as to who in highly visible media has taken the stance that he is to blame for the loss. He's getting an entirely free pass because of one bad call. A call which, based on the tone of your post, calls into question the entire system that is the NFL. Never mind that the Jaguars cried similarly over the Dion Lewis fumble last year, or any number of other notable tantrums from past teams that lost, i.e., did not do enough to win. No, this particular lack of pass interference is the one that topples the whole Jenga tower, and grown men like Sean Payton are being Victimized by it.

Goodness. So much of the Patriots success, and fans' pride in it, is based on the team's philosophy of not making excuses, focusing on what can be controlled, and moving forward to the next play, next man up, next game, we're on to Cincinnati. And here we have a decent contingent of those that champion that ethos and mock the teams who lack it coming together to bake casseroles for Sean Payton. Because he wore a shirt that makes fun of a guy who is bad. I hope Sean can find a good support group to get him through this trying time, anything to shift blame from kicking away yet another chance with his all-time great QB.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,767
    It's a bigger troll job to hint at it. What's Goodell going to do? Demand to see the contents of his wardrobe?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +33,348
    Something something.. more likely than not..

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. captain insano

captain insano PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,046
    no, it isn't. its a half ass attempt accomplishing nothing.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  6. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,767
    Lulz :rolleyes:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. borisman

borisman Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1,088
    Nice! I just want Payton to tell BB what exactly he saw to run Kamara out of backfield for a pass knowing Littleton would be in coverage. I could see James White abusing them in the same way if there's a look LAR has that gives away their coverage.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. borisman

borisman Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1,088
    Maybe he was going to but was talked out of it, possibly, by the owner or someone else. At least he left the top button unbuttoned that gave away his undershirt.

9. Kenneth Sims

Kenneth Sims PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,283
    Numerous commentators I’ve heard on radio and TV spout the same argument as you that Payton, the Saints and their fans should just shut up and take it. They weren’t victimised by the call but rather the inability to correct it because of pure foolishness. There’s a mechanism in place to review whether a player was down, feet were in bounds, or the ball crossed the goal line. To not use that same mechanism to be able to determine if a player broke the rules of the game to interfere with another player catching a pass, is pure unmitigated foolishness.

None of the arguments against it hold water. Holding, false starts and pass interference are not “subjective” calls. Subjective calls are whether something is art or whether something is beautiful or ugly. All of us have different opinions on those things. Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. But pass interference isn’t, it’s based on objective criteria just like all the the other calls that are reviewable. Ideally, every official using the criteria of the rules should come to the same conclusion as to whether it was a penalty or not.

You seem to have something against Payton. Bias is a cancer to sound judgment. I’m not for or against him or the Saints. I am just pro common sense. I’m pro fanbases such as Patriots’ fans not always hearing from fans of other teams how officials favour our team or us complaining the league is against us. Letting everything be reviewable would go a good way to removing all of the foolishness.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. 1960Pats

1960Pats PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12,594
    I've always been in favor of getting the call right, no matter if it's for or against my team. Allowing those type of calls to be reviewed is a simple solution to a complicated problem. Maybe the fact that Belichick is a proponent of that is a reason we haven't seen it yet.

And it isn't just challenges that should be reviewed. In any case where there's a change of possession the play should be reviewed. Just because a team doesn't have a challenge left shouldn't be a factor.

11. Plunkett2Vataha

Plunkett2Vataha Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +222
    I respect your opinion as it does have some strong, valid points. I live ten minutes from the Superdome, and have spent the first half of my life living 30 minutes from Foxboro. I am a Patriots fan first, and a Saints fan second. Now that my bio is out of the way, let me elaborate a bit on Payton. Yes, he does project a smug, arrogant image to the rest of the country. Yes, a lot of people do dislike him. BUT, he is beloved in the New Orleans area and is a pretty good coach. Payton wasn't just whining about the one play at the end (and he definitely is whining, and who wouldn't). Payton is also pissed about the earlier third down defensive holding/pass interference penalty (take your pick) that wasn't called on the first play of the 4th quarter. That was just as egregious a non-call as the one at the end of the game. It would have given the Saints a first down at either the Rams 42 (defensive holding) or Rams 39 (pass interference). If you get a chance, look at that play and tell me if you don't think it should have been flagged. Pretty bad non-call. Instead, the Saints punted the ball. They were also upset on the O/T interception. After Brees' arm is hit, Fowler's follow-through hits the QB in the face. This wasn't as terrible as the first two non-calls, but I'm just including it to show why Payton and New Orleans are so upset about the BS officiating late in the game. Hey, to be fair, I'm just as pissed about the terrible job the officials did in the Patriots-Chiefs game. You know damn right well the NFL was dreaming of a KC-LA Super Bowl...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steve:Section 102

Steve:Section 102 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,590
    This just in: Roger Goodell Sucks.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  13. TB_Helmet

TB_Helmet In the Starting Line-Up Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +8,772
    Holding and pass interference are absolutely not objective calls.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Hercules Rockefeller

Ratings:
    +1,916
    1) Yes, they should. You are acting like something was stolen from them. They got the ball in overtime and threw an interception. The only move that does not involve stomping feet and moping around like a teenager that has been grounded is the only real option they have. I mock Payton for choosing the least effective, most immature route. They aren't doing a do-over, and life isn't always fair.

2) Oh boy. Yes, the most subjective calls in football (and also false starts, strangely lumped in here) are actually not at all subjective. Very persuasive argument, Ken.

Which brings me to the Bias is the Poison The Irrational Man Sees As Tonic portion of your post, which i've not done the dignity of properly quoting because of its absurdity in relation to all else that you've written on this. My "bias" is rather a pretty rigid consistency. I'm not the one letting my feelings about a t-shirt or finding Payton a fun, rakish coach change the fact that he's making a buffoon of himself. I'm not going to call a grown up a victim over such low stakes, either. You can't call someone else biased in their thinking, then advocate changing the rules because you want people to stop complaining that the Pats get calls. That you think you could somehow legislate people's feelings is baffling to me.

Did you support Bill Polian whining to change the rules after the Colts didn't do enough to win? Or the Raiders Tuck Rule tears? Or Harbaugh because he didn't know the rules?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Hammer of Thor

Hammer of Thor PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10,781
    He’s trying to make a passive aggressive statement. The guy will be suspended and face a ridiculously heavy fine if he actually wore it as his only shirt. He’s making his statement in a way that those who are in the know (like Pats fans) will know, but gives him plausible deniability when the Goodell comes after him (“it wasn’t the clown shirt, it was another blue shirt I have”) and makes the Clown look like more of an idiot if he tries to take action against Payton.

Belichick takes passive aggressive actions too. The entire Hoodie look was a passive aggressive response to the coaches being given mandated uniforms by the league.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,509
    Thanks for the memory!

I was outside the courthouse the day of the second clip. Didn't get there until the afternoon but waited for hours and worked my way into the press pen and got close enough to Brady to shout (you can hear me on one of the tapes) "We love you Tommy! One more for the thumb, Tommy!" as he got into his truck to leave. I was no more than ten feet from him, so I'm pretty sure he heard me as my "outside voice" is really loud.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ALP

ALP Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +3,154
    i dont think these should be considered passive aggressive, this is a bit different, this is more like being coy

18. captain stone

captain stone Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +9,345
    Very, very well-said.

Everybody should prepare themselves for the biggest screw-job-officiated championship game
    in league history, if that's what it takes for Los Angeles to have a trophy to show the investors.

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Kenneth Sims

Kenneth Sims PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,283
    And absolutely no one will complain about it but us. Then, within 5 minutes, the narrative will be spun that we’re an entitled fan base that had it coming.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Hercules Rockefeller

Ratings:
    +1,916
    Lol. The best part will be when you're back here shouting this same nonsense in short order. I hope you can at least enjoy the good times, Captain, and that you can hear and see everything fine while wearing your tin hat.

• Useful Useful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.