OT: Seahawks sign two former first round WRs

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecrime

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Last edited:
Re: Seahawks sign two former first round WRs

Well,Like I have said before,we will do similar...taking Ben Tate and Golden Tate in the draft and already having Brandon on board.

As far as Branch is concerned I could care less,While Deion and Tom worked great together...that was then and this is now...Branch is not a game changer anymore IMO

Last edited:

Seattle Seahawks sign wide receiver Mike Williams, wide receiver Reggie Williams - ESPN

Seahawks sign a pair of Williams. Reggie and Mike. All they need now is Roy to complete the set.

Wonder if this will affect Branch's availability?

I'm torn on this. I don't like him partiularly for saying he would honor his contract and then being a (#51 Butkus's first name)head. But Brady likes him, so I guess i can go either way.

I saw my old boss (who's a Cowboys fan) when I was grocery shopping the other day, and I mentioned how I was a little bummed that Marshall didn't go to the Seahawks because Branch might have been a cost cutting release. He instantly shook his head no saying we don't want him because of his injury issues.

I think I agree. As you say, Brady likes him, but with us clearly a little shy on WRs until Welker is back (and when will he truly be "back" once he's playing again?), I'd be a bit worried to count on a player that's missed 17 games in the past 4 seasons.

I've always liked Peter Carroll and this is part of the reason. The guy just has so much faith in his ability to turn players around. This is a great move, even it it doesn't work out with either of them its still a great move.

He can bring in 10 maybe 20 players like this and if one reaches the potential he was believed to have coming out of college then its a huge success for the team.

Last edited:

If the price/value is right I'd be happy with Branch. With Moss and Tate as split ends, Edelman in the slot, and Branch as a WR4, he'd have the possibility of contributing on a 35-40 catch level--without too much 'major' pressure. Our WR depth could then have a draft pick, Patten/Aiken behind it too.

I don't think anyone will expect him to come here and be a #2 opposite Moss. Those days are long gone. Again, I'd feel optimistic about the deal--but only for the right value.

Seattle Seahawks sign wide receiver Mike Williams, wide receiver Reggie Williams - ESPN

Seahawks sign a pair of Williams. Reggie and Mike. All they need now is Roy to complete the set.

Wonder if this will affect Branch's availability?

I'm torn on this. I don't like him partiularly for saying he would honor his contract and then being a (#51 Butkus's first name)head. But Brady likes him, so I guess i can go either way.

They would also need to draft Mike Williams (WR, Syracuse) to complete the set.

Not as bad as the Titans having two Chris Davis' at WR on the team a few years back though.

Last edited:
Let's see. We have Moss, Edleman, Tate, Patten and an unnamed rookie as our wide receivers. Would I like to add Branch? Might he have some significant reps against this awesome set of receivers?

Yes, I think Branch would add to the offense. The fact that he is not close to what he used to be is totally irrelevant.

Let's see. We have Moss, Edleman, Tate, Patten and an unnamed rookie as our wide receivers. Would I like to add Branch? Might he have some significant reps against this awesome set of receivers?

Yes, I think Branch would add to the offense. The fact that he is not close to what he used to be is totally irrelevant.

I wouldn't want him here, he hasn't done anything since he left here really. We need one solid WR right now and he is not that.

Y'all are forgetting about Roydell Williams.

In case people are wondering, here are Branch's stats for the last two years:

2009: 14 games, 5 starts, 45 rcpt, 437 yds, 9.7 y/c, 2 td
2008: 8 games, 8 starts, 30 rcpt, 412 yds, 13.7 y/c, 4 td

Now exactly how much are you counting on this 5'9" 31 year old player that has missed ten games in two years to contribute? Unless there's a DeLorean that is going to drive 88 and transport the 2005 Branch to Foxboro, I wouldn't trade for him. If he gets cut and signs a prove-it contract okay, but I'd still rather look forward than Back to the Future.

They would also need to draft Mike Williams (WR, Syracuse) to complete the set.

or Damien Williams WR from Carrol's old stomping grounds, USC

Now exactly how much are you counting on this 5'9" 31 year old player that has missed ten games in two years to contribute? Unless there's a DeLorean that is going to drive 88 and transport the 2005 Branch to Foxboro, I wouldn't trade for him. If he gets cut and signs a prove-it contract okay, but I'd still rather look forward than Back to the Future.

Both years are better than what Aiken provided, so I'm not sure why anyone would even hesitate to make the move.

Didn't Mike Williams play for Carroll at USC?

Both years are better than what Aiken provided, so I'm not sure why anyone would even hesitate to make the move.

Couldn't have said it any better..

Throw in the fact the amt of time Hasselbeck misses, I don't understand how people wouldn't want him back. He be a prefect #3 receiver, something we desperately need, in our system. His stats are very similar to Jabars

2007 New England Patriots 16 7 36 449 12.5 56 5 6 2 21
2008 New England Patriots 16 7 38 468 12.3 37 2 4 0 26

If his health checks out with the team and FO and he's willing to renegotiate that conract, I would love to have him back.

Sadly the perfidious Twig is better than what we've currently got. Also, here it will be Tom HOF Brady throwing the ball. Should help the game stats.

Couldn't have said it any better..

Throw in the fact the amt of time Hasselbeck misses, I don't understand how people wouldn't want him back. He be a prefect #3 receiver, something we desperately need, in our system. His stats are very similar to Jabars

2007 New England Patriots 16 7 36 449 12.5 56 5 6 2 21
2008 New England Patriots 16 7 38 468 12.3 37 2 4 0 26

And let's not forget how brady & branch were totally on the same page.......I would love to see d/b back here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back