PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Russell Wilson to Yankees camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang I miss the Expos... as a kid living in a border county there was this big hill between me and the rest of Maine, so I didn't get the New England TV channels nearly as well as I got CTV, I watched a lot of Expos growing up in the Tim Raines/Andres Galarraga/Dennis Martinez/Gary Carter era. I loved that team, :(
I miss the Montreal Exposition. Was a great time as a kid.

I miss the Montreal Exposition. Was a great time as a kid.
Aside from that, it seems really an odd thing to name a pro baseball team after.

Aside from that, it seems really an odd thing to name a pro baseball team after.
No weirder than socks. At least Montreal was known for the Montreal Expo. Who knows Boston for stockings?

I mean at least the Patriots and Celtics make some sense, and while the Bruins are a bit generic, it rat least has a language cadence to it. The difference is we're used to the utter wierdness of the Boston Red Sox, but it is a truly strange name for a team.

Montreal skiers? Montreal hairy women? Montreal rude asses? Montreal Gorton?
If we're rebranding them, how about borrowing a bit from old French North American heritage and calling them the Montreal Voyageurs? That's at least as topical as the Patriots, Texas Rangers, San Francisco 49ers, etc, and after awhile it would roll off the tongue I think.

Voyageurs - Wikipedia

No weirder than socks. At least Montreal was known for the Montreal Expo. Who knows Boston for stockings?
Neither one is what I'd call inspirational.

There are only fifteen players who made more than Russell Wilson did last year, and none of those guys struggled mightily in the low minors.

Russell really likes attention.

Cmon now. dude has a chance to do something hes probably wanted to do since he was a child. He's trying to live his best life.

I mean at least the Patriots and Celtics make some sense, and while the Bruins are a bit generic, it rat least has a language cadence to it. The difference is we're used to the utter wierdness of the Boston Red Sox, but it is a truly strange name for a team.
The teams back then had very plain uniforms, one of the signifying features was the color of the socks. Red Sox was rip off of the Cincinnati Red Stockings, now known as simply the Cincinnati Reds. They're not named after socks like the Patriots are named after their historical counterparts.

Cmon now. dude has a chance to do something hes probably wanted to do since he was a child. He's trying to live his best life.

That's all well and good and I don't begrudge him the opportunity. He did this with the Rangers a few years back too and that was all good. I don't understand why he's talking about "Lets win a World Series" when he's clearly not playing for the Yankees past a few spring practices. He's not even playing in any spring games. I love him as a player and he's a charitable guy who has a great attitude. I'm just calling it like I see it, it's all good if he wants to shag a few fly balls in Florida. That would be fun!

The teams back then had very plain uniforms, one of the signifying features was the color of the socks. Red Sox was rip off of the Cincinnati Red Stockings, now known as simply the Cincinnati Reds. They're not named after socks like the Patriots are named after their historical counterparts.

You just explained how they are named after the color of their socks, then said they are not named after socks. I think they have one of the best names in pro sports, but they're named after socks.

You just explained how they are named after the color of their socks, then said they are not named after socks. I think they have one of the best names in pro sports, but they're named after socks.
I guess I meant they're not named the Sox as some sort of mascot or character, it was just a signifying feature of their uniform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News