PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Redskins win (indirectly) in SCOTUS

Status
Not open for further replies.
In particular, the rights to use the term/image in a particular realm of commerce. There are tons of trademarks for the term "Patriot" in non-football-related uses, like the Jeep Patriot. So we're now free to trademark all sorts of different "Redskin" businesses.
I'm a fan of their potatos

Howdy from the great state of Montana (where the outline of our western border with Idaho looks like the face of the “Flying Elvis”)!!!

OK… So I have a different perspective than many (if not all) of you. For the past 16 years I have been working in “Indian Country.” I work with Native Americans everyday (on and off the rez). I have worked with many tribes all over the U.S. and have gotten to know and become friends with many Indians. And y’know what??? An overwhelming majority of them don’t care about the Redskins name. A lot of them commonly refer to themselves as “Skins.” And I know quite a few Indians who are Redskins fans because of the name. I know very, very few Indians who are offended by the name. Heck, I know high-ranking Native Americans who work in Washington DC who go to ‘Skins games all of the time.

As further proof, why don’t you Google “Rocky Boy’s Redskins.” The Chippewa Cree Tribe calls the Rocky Boy’s Reservation (north-central Montana) their home. The Washington Redskins sponsor their rodeo team (the Redskins also built them a playground). The rodeo team was given vans and trailers with the Washington Redskins logos splattered all over them. And y’know what??? They all love it!!! They might not love the Redskins per se (it is Broncos, Seahawks, Vikings, Packers country here… ACK!!!!), but they appreciate what the Redskins organization is doing for them. (NOTE: I’m sure some of you will say that Snyder is buying their affections).

Also, y’all might wanna Google “Red Mesa High School” (located on the Navajo reservation). If you do, you’ll find out that their nickname is “Redskins.” There are many other examples.

So… While I know that there is a small minority of Indians who hate and are offended by the Redskins name, did it really have to go all the way to SCOTUS?!?!?!? What every happened to being “thick skinned (no pun intended!!!)” and “Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me”?!?!?!?!

Huh… I guess it is good to be a “victim” in a first-world country these days. It’s not like we have any other pressing problems to worry about. As such, since I am a second generation Polish American (Kocham Gronkowski i Gostkowski!!! Są zajebiście!!!!), maybe I should start a lawsuit against the never-ending atrocity that many American companies have been subjecting us all to since man crawled out of the primordial ooze. That being… “Polish sausage” and “Polish hotdogs.” KUUUUUUURWA!!!! Those “things” taste nothing like the real deal Polish kiełbasa!!! I would not feed a Polish sausage to Woody Johnson or Rex Ryan!!!! (OK… I would… Does that make me a bad person?) Now I know where all the Polish jokes originated!!! From people who ate those nasty things!!! So… I am highly offended!!! I need to take this issue all the way to SCOTUS as well!!!! Oh!!! The horror!!! The horror!!!!

In the meantime… All of you SJW keyboard commandos (or however you identify), perhaps you should take a tour of the reservations across our great country and try to convert all the natives who like or don’t mind the Redskins moniker into those who do. Or better yet, why don’t you tell these same people that you are offended because they aren’t offended.

GO PATS!!!!

Last edited:
How did this even reach SCOTUS?

I mean I get not liking the Redskins name or logo, I sure don't, but Free Speech doesn't exist to protect only the things we like to see or read or hear.

Because district courts in the US are full of fools, and appeals courts are headed there.

Howdy from the great state of Montana (where the outline of our western border with Idaho looks like the face of the “Flying Elvis”)!!!

OK… So I have a different perspective than many (if not all) of you. For the past 16 years I have been working in “Indian Country.” I work with Native Americans everyday (on and off the rez). I have worked with many tribes all over the U.S. and have gotten to know and become friends with many Indians. And y’know what??? An overwhelming majority of them don’t care about the Redskins name. A lot of them commonly refer to themselves as “Skins.” And I know quite a few Indians who are Redskins fans because of the name. I know very, very few Indians who are offended by the name. Heck, I know high-ranking Native Americans who work in Washington DC who go to ‘Skins games all of the time.

As further proof, why don’t you Google “Rocky Boy’s Redskins.” The Chippewa Cree Tribe calls the Rocky Boy’s Reservation (north-central Montana) their home. The Washington Redskins sponsor their rodeo team (the Redskins also built them a playground). The rodeo team was given vans and trailers with the Washington Redskins logos splattered all over them. And y’know what??? They all love it!!! They might not love the Redskins per se (it is Broncos, Seahawks, Vikings, Packers country here… ACK!!!!), but they appreciate what the Redskins organization is doing for them. (NOTE: I’m sure some of you will say that Snyder is buying their affections).

Also, y’all might wanna Google “Red Mesa High School” (located on the Navajo reservation). If you do, you’ll find out that their nickname is “Redskins.” There are many other examples.

So… While I know that there is a small minority of Indians who hate and are offended by the Redskins name, did it really have to go all the way to SCOTUS?!?!?!? What every happened to being “thick skinned (no pun intended!!!)” and “Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me”?!?!?!?!

Huh… I guess it is good to be a “victim” in a first-world country these days. It’s not like we have any other pressing problems to worry about. As such, since I am a second generation Polish American (Kocham Gronkowski i Gostkowski!!! Są zajebiście!!!!), maybe I should start a lawsuit against the never-ending atrocity that many American companies have been subjecting us all to since man crawled out of the primordial ooze. That being… “Polish sausage” and “Polish hotdogs.” KUUUUUUURWA!!!! Those “things” taste nothing like the real deal Polish kiełbasa!!! I would not feed a Polish sausage to Woody Johnson or Rex Ryan!!!! (OK… I would… Does that make me a bad person?) Now I know where all the Polish jokes originated!!! From people who ate those nasty things!!! So… I am highly offended!!! I need to take this issue all the way to SCOTUS as well!!!! Oh!!! The horror!!! The horror!!!!

In the meantime… All of you SJW keyboard commandos (or however you identify), perhaps you should take a tour of the reservations across our great country and try to convert all the natives who like or don’t mind the Redskins moniker into those who do. Or better yet, why don’t you tell these same people that you are offended because they aren’t offended.

GO PATS!!!!
Cool story bro!

So… While I know that there is a small minority of Indians who hate and are offended by the Redskins name, did it really have to go all the way to SCOTUS?!?!?!?

FYI, the Redskins case didn't go to the Supreme Court. They're just affected because the SCOTUS struck down the regulation under which their trademark had been threatened.

The band won in the appeals court - the SC did not have to take the case to reverse the law. The SC was unanimous. They were making a statement to the Richmond appeals court - we do not want to see that Redskins case!

Thanks for the interesting perspective, which while anecdotal is indeed quite telling. I wouldn't be surprised also if it came from the same place as the reason for the case in the first place, an Asian band appropriating a slur for their band name.

Which, as some have pointed out, was the reason for the case, and had nothing to do with the Redskins other than that they're affected by the ruling. Is the band any good?

Last edited:

. . . .

(A) The Redskins were not a party in the case SCOTUS decided.
(B) There is a difference between a group appropriating a word for themselves and it being applied to them by another group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes