Which do you hear?

• Yanny

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • Laurel

Votes: 58 68.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this whole thing was a joke. I hear Laurel and my 15 year old kid insists he hears Yanni. Freaky.

Edit - we were listening at the same time in the same room, so it can't be that different devices/different frequency thing. Also, I am half deaf (conversationally, not medically), so if it has to do with better ears hearing the Yanni, I could buy that.

Last edited:
I want to use this concept with others (maybe wife). The plan would be to:
  1. Determine hearing range
  2. Set up a recording
  3. Say something that would get me in trouble
  4. Play back recording with alternate effect so what I said sounds like I actually complimented individual
Could be diabolical and make someone think they are nuts or do this when I have a favor to ask and play off their guilt :p

Reminds me of the Manslator.

I thought this whole thing was a joke. I hear Laurel and my 15 year old kid insists he hears Yanni. Freaky.

Edit - we were listening at the same time in the same room, so it can't be that different devices/different frequency thing. Also, I am half deaf (conversationally, not medically), so if it has to do with better ears hearing the Yanni, I could buy that.

I don't think it has anything to do with hearing ability. My hearing has started to seriously suck in recent years and I heard "Laurel", which is apparently the correct answer.

Last edited:
I don't think it has anything to do with hearing ability. My hearing has started to seriously suck in recent years and I heard "Laurel", which is apparently the correct answer.

Hearing it correctly doesn't mean your hearing is good, because it's an auditory illusion purposely created by a linguist. The audio clip is him saying both words superimposed on each other, with "Yanny" playing at a higher frequency than "Laurel". Thus, if you can't hear "Yanny", you aren't as good at hearing higher frequencies than those who can hear it.

Hearing it correctly doesn't mean your hearing is good, because it's an auditory illusion purposely created by a linguist. The audio clip is him saying both words superimposed on each other, with "Yanny" playing at a higher frequency than "Laurel". Thus, if you can't hear "Yanny", you aren't as good at hearing higher frequencies than those who can hear it.

I know it can't mean my hearing is good because it's been documented that my hearing is ****. :confused:

EDIT - Found a tool that allows you to shift the frequency one way or the other. I have to move it all the way to the right and even then, can only barely hear "Yanny".

Last edited:
The dumbing down of America continues.
I come home to watch the Warriors-Rockets game and the pregame show was playing this clip. I'm thinking "WTF is this?" Then I see it on here and then to find out it's all over the internet.

I just don't get how someone can post something so stupid on Reddit and it goes viral. The media is getting even dumber asking Paul Ryan what he thinks. There's more important things they need to ask than what he thinks he hears. This is a prime example of why one part of me absolutely hates the internet or "social media".

And it's clearly Laurel.

You guys are smoking crack. There's no Y sound and no N sound. I am convinced you people that hear Yanni are just messing with the rest of us. :p

I come home to watch the Warriors-Rockets game and the pregame show was playing this clip. I'm thinking "WTF is this?" Then I see it on here and then to find out it's all over the internet. I just don't get how someone can post something so stupid on Reddit and it goes viral. The media is getting even dumber asking Paul Ryan what he thinks. There's more important things they need to ask than what he thinks he hears. This is a prime example of why one part of me absolutely hates the internet or "social media". And it's clearly Laurel.
All I hear is "yanny, yanny, yanny." I am convinced that people who hear "laurel" are tone-deaf illegal immigrants working menial blue-collar jobs ... or light beer-swilling millennials with smartphone-calloused thumbs. In other words, if you hear "laurel": GTF out.

All I hear is "yanny, yanny, yanny." I am convinced that people who hear "laurel" are tone-deaf illegal immigrants working menial blue-collar jobs ... or light beer-swilling millennials with smartphone-calloused thumbs. In other words, if you hear "laurel": GTF out.

So being the old guy, you say, "Get off my lawn"
and
a millennial would hear, "Light the bong"?

So being the old guy, you say, "Get off my lawn" and a millennial would hear, "Light the bong"?
One needn't be an "old guy" to see millennials for what they are (or more specifically, are not). I'm pretty sure millennials just hear "laurel."

I am a 52 year old white guy, born and raised in NH. I don't drink piss water beer, have graduated to bourbon, and I hear Laurel plain as day. So now, I fit in niether demographic, feel left out, and still think y'all are hitting the pen, as the young'ns say. Actually, I dunno if they say that, but someone said they smoke pens. Whatever. It's effin' Laurel.

:D

2afaa6.jpg

Me and all three of my kids hear Laurel. Wife hear's Yanny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back