PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else like the Rams over Packers? Bakhtiari injury will show up big against that front; Ramsey on Adams.

yes, Ramsey will erase Adams and Rodgers will look foolish as he always does

The OL is what I'm also going to be watching, this Sunday. Even though Marpet is back, they lost Cappa and his replacement Larsen got put on skates a few times in the last game. The tiny upside to that is the problem has shifted from LG to RG which makes things a little more easier to handle because we all know Brady hates problems on the blindside and is easily flustered by that.
Since the last meeting against the Saints, Brady has only been hit 16 times. That continues on Sunday, and I think it will, the Bucs pull away late and win by two scores.

Anyone else like the Rams over Packers? Bakhtiari injury will show up big against that front; Ramsey on Adams.
I think the Fappers will pull it out just because of Goff’s injury and the game being in Lambeau. But that defense will definitely slow them down.

I don't trust Goff anyway but I really don't trust him in 28 degree weather. I like the under.

The OL is what I'm also going to be watching, this Sunday. Even though Marpet is back, they lost Cappa and his replacement Larsen got put on skates a few times in the last game. The tiny upside to that is the problem has shifted from LG to RG which makes things a little more easier to handle because we all know Brady hates problems on the blindside and is easily flustered by that.

Brady was hit 7 times and sacked 3 times by WFT, so it's a bit of a concern, especially against NO who has a good pass rush and 2 lock down corners.

I think the Fappers will pull it out just because of Goff’s injury and the game being in Lambeau. But that defense will definitely slow them down.
I think so too but man, that Rams defense is a disaster for Green Bay which has been more finesses than grit with LaFleur. Would not surprise me to see Rodgers turtle like he did vs the Niners last year when they smacked him and his receivers around.

Since the last meeting against the Saints, Brady has only been hit 16 times. That continues on Sunday, and I think it will, the Bucs pull away late and win by two scores.

Based on the routes Gronk runs now, Brate can give about 80% of the same production. Better off sending Brate out to receive and keeping Gronk in to stonewall the pass rush. That’s been, I think, one reason the hits have gone down, at the same time Brate’s targets went up.

Brady would be wise to see how Peyton and Elway did it in their later years, which was an elite defense and a dominant running game to take the load off him.
Actually that wouldn't be wise at all.

Firstly, Brady's not the GM in Tampa Bay so the global construction of the team isn't his call. Sure he can bring in Gronk and AB, which will help him in the passing game but he has nothing to do with the roster building on the defensive side of the ball.

Secondly, Brady probably doesn't have enough seasons left to wait for Tampa Bay's defense to become "elite." Their secondary sucks.

Thirdly, and most importantly, BRADY DOESN'T NEED TO BE PROTECTED WITH BY A DEFENSE OR RUNNING GAME.

This drives me crazy... did people watch Brady play this season? Once he had a full compliment of skill position players and he had settled into the Bucs offense, he was red hot in December... 3-0, 72% completions, 311 Y/G, 8 TD's, 0 INT's, 131 QB rating. Then he shredded a WFT defense that ranked 2nd in passing and overall defense for the season. Hello! Brady's still elite, he's still a killer in the postseason.

It's the same damn mistake 'the genius' Belichick made, starting prior to the 2014 season when he commented on Brady's age as though he was anticipating an imminent decline in Brady's play. It never happened. Only the team around Brady declined thanks to Belichick's many whiffs as a GM. And the argument that well no other quarterback has been able to do what Brady's doing doesn't fly. If Belichick's a genius, especially with the firsthand exposure to Brady, then he should have been able to effectively measure Brady's capacity to go on playing at an elite level. He egregiously miscalculated. As well some fans continue to do the same. Brady just needed a representative offense around him which Tampa Bay has given him. A stout defense obviously would be helpful but Brady doesn't need that for protection. Jones is a good RB and he had a good season (Fournette maybe not so much), but Brady had enough of the run-first approach last season when he was handing off to Michel for 3.7 per carry.

Also, the Peyton Manning comp is ridiculous. Manning was totally spent in his last season and his play/numbers reflected it (9 TD's & 17 INT's... that's worse than Cam!). The Broncos did him a huge favor by reinstating him as the starter... he was easily outplayed by Osweiler but Elway & Co. wanted to give Manning a chance to go out a winner. It only worked thanks to Belichick gagging away weeks 16 & 17 which made the Broncos the #1 seed. Had the Patriots held onto the #1 seed like they should have then Manning's last game would have been another beatdown in Foxboro. Instead the Broncos defense (coupled with a Cam no-show) carried Manning to that second ring that he desperately needed to cement his legacy (even though he was brutally bad in the Super Bowl).

As for Elway and Denver, unless Tampa Bay is trading for Derrick Henry, they're not getting anywhere close to the production of Terrell Davis from 1997 & 1998.

Actually that wouldn't be wise at all.

Firstly, Brady's not the GM in Tampa Bay so the global construction of the team isn't his call. Sure he can bring in Gronk and AB, which will help him in the passing game but he has nothing to do with the roster building on the defensive side of the ball.

Secondly, Brady probably doesn't have enough seasons left to wait for Tampa Bay's defense to become "elite." Their secondary sucks.

Thirdly, and most importantly, BRADY DOESN'T NEED TO BE PROTECTED WITH BY A DEFENSE OR RUNNING GAME.

This drives me crazy... did people watch Brady play this season? Once he had a full compliment of skill position players and he had settled into the Bucs offense, he was red hot in December... 3-0, 72% completions, 311 Y/G, 8 TD's, 0 INT's, 131 QB rating. Then he shredded a WFT defense that ranked 2nd in passing and overall defense for the season. Hello! Brady's still elite, he's still a killer in the postseason.

It's the same damn mistake 'the genius' Belichick made, starting prior to the 2014 season when he commented on Brady's age as though he was anticipating an imminent decline in Brady's play. It never happened. Only the team around Brady declined thanks to Belichick's many whiffs as a GM. And the argument that well no other quarterback has been able to do what Brady's doing doesn't fly. If Belichick's a genius, especially with the firsthand exposure to Brady, then he should have been able to effectively measure Brady's capacity to go on playing at an elite level. He egregiously miscalculated. As well some fans continue to do the same. Brady just needed a representative offense around him which Tampa Bay has given him. A stout defense obviously would be helpful but Brady doesn't need that for protection. Jones is a good RB and he had a good season (Fournette maybe not so much), but Brady had enough of the run-first approach last season when he was handing off to Michel for 3.7 per carry.

Also, the Peyton Manning comp is ridiculous. Manning was totally spent in his last season and his play/numbers reflected it (9 TD's & 17 INT's... that's worse than Cam!). The Broncos did him a huge favor by reinstating him as the starter... he was easily outplayed by Osweiler but Elway & Co. wanted to give Manning a chance to go out a winner. It only worked thanks to Belichick gagging away weeks 16 & 17 which made the Broncos the #1 seed. Had the Patriots held onto the #1 seed like they should have then Manning's last game would have been another beatdown in Foxboro. Instead the Broncos defense (coupled with a Cam no-show) carried Manning to that second ring that he desperately needed to cement his legacy (even though he was brutally bad in the Super Bowl).

As for Elway and Denver, unless Tampa Bay is trading for Derrick Henry, they're not getting anywhere close to the production of Terrell Davis from 1997 & 1998.

Love the passion. The easiest shortest reply is, given all your confidence let's just see what happens in the playoffs then. Brady has a stacked passing offense so we'll see how far it goes. Definitely fun to watch.

I know zero about what happened there, but why is that such a bad take by you? Sounds from that like you might have been on to something
I guess it was more me being cynical and assuming all athletes cheat on their wives. That was my reasoning for Gilmore's wife saying he wasn't out with Cam. She just didn't know. Regardless it isn't really something you should accuse someone of with zero proof.

I totally believe the Bucs effect.

I think the Pats effect is not just having Brady leave but replacing him with absolutely nothing at the QB position. Once the Pats find a good QB, which hopefully will be soon - things will be better. Also the defense in 2020 is quite a lot worse than it was in 2019.

Last edited:
Genuinely curious why someone would think he'd be below average running any type of WC? Really would like to hear any explanation. Once he got around the verbage I'm not seeing any issues but what do I know. I'm wrong a lot.
Agreed and I really don't understand the idea that Brady could not run the West Coast offense. It was simply the offensive system devised by Bill Walsh while he was the offensive coordinator of the Cincinnati Bengals, characterized by short, horizontal passing routes in lieu of running plays to "stretch out" defenses, opening up the potential for long runs or long passes. Walsh brought it to the 49ers and it exploded with Montana. Yes, Montana and Young were vastly more mobile than Brady, but it was not a QB running offense.

I guess it was more me being cynical and assuming all athletes cheat on their wives. That was my reasoning for Gilmore's wife saying he wasn't out with Cam. She just didn't know. Regardless it isn't really something you should accuse someone of with zero proof.
Yeah I guess. But nobody cares what we say here lol

Yeah I guess. But nobody cares what we say here lol
That’s not true. That bald stump, Matt Chatham, seems to care very much about what we say on here judging by his Tweets.

Uniforms for this Sunday:

Saints - Black Jersey, Black Pants

Bucs - White Jersey, Pewter Pants

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey