PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say zero percent Bucs/Raiders happens Sunday. Think they'll move it to Monday or Tuesday. Too interesting of a matchup to make a regional market only game, I mean there is a reason it was the Sunday night game
So far the only player that tested positive was Brown. Everyone else that has been sat was just for precaution because they were in contact with Brown. If that continues and no one else tests positive, they for sure play Sunday. The NFL wants the games played. That is the first priority. The game will still draw good ratings in the 4:00 slot.

Provided that the risk of spreading Covid is gone, I think I'm on board with just having teams play through it with their backups.

I wouldn't want to see an actual safety issue for Derek Carr here though, if that's the concern. I guess with the offensive line, that is a unique issue.

But if it's about a team being able to stay competitive on the field, I'm more inclined to say screw that. Every team has the same risks and protocols. Teams with more depth to withstand injuries/illness will be better off. Teams get ravaged by injuries all the time. If you're looking at it from a competition standpoint, maybe Tampa shouldn't have been forced to play Thursday night against the Bears since they were ravaged at WR. If those guys all had Covid instead of just being unable to perform due to injury, would they have rescheduled the game?

What I don't like is some random, shoot-from-the-hip approach to this, like: "well, the Raiders have a bunch of guys out, so..." or "Patrick Mahomes can't play, so..." Just need to make the call based on the risk of spreading Covid to others and stay consistent about it. Otherwise, you'll have tons of unfair inconsistencies and biases.
Teams don't have the same risks, each team is subject to whatever virus carriers it players and staff come in contact with. When it comes to covid, the teams all have the same defenses but they're facing different offenses.

This isn't just another form of injury, we're seeing the potential for a team to lose five starters from the same position group all at once, and no traditional injury does that. We saw our team have six opt outs, far more than any other team, and the NJFL response was suck it up, find some scrubs and get on with it. No attempt to address the competitive imbalance, just get on with it.

It's not a matter of what we are on board with. NJFL has decided what matters is getting the revenue from each and every game, that's what drives the decision process. And so far they've kept all the plates spinning. I'm sure they're proud of themselves.

Of course you won't see a uniform approach, this is the NJFL. We have Ray Rice gone forever because the video made the news, Tyreek Hill with audio and Kareem Hunt with video still playing because the press didn't make too big a stink about it and the players are still in their prime. If they were on the way out anyway NJFL would have thrown them under the bus and pounded their chests.

This isn't just another form of injury, we're seeing the potential for a team to lose five starters from the same position group all at once, and no traditional injury does that. We saw our team have six opt outs, far more than any other team, and the NJFL response was suck it up, find some scrubs and get on with it. No attempt to address the competitive imbalance, just get on with it.
We actually had 8 opt outs. The NFL did address the competitive imbalance by expanding the rosters, changing the PS rules and changing IR designations. We have benefited tremendously from being able to have Andrews come back in 3 weeks instead of 8 and his IR designation had nothing to do with Covid. Same with Sony who can also come back in next week I believe.

What is amazing to me is that we have said for the last 20 years that the Patriots beat you with guys 23-53 because we build a complete team with great depth, next guy up, yada, yada, yada. Our entire org including most notably our HC seems to have lose their minds with Covid which I never saw coming from the most prestige, button up, no excuse team in the league.

We actually had 8 opt outs. The NFL did address the competitive imbalance by expanding the rosters, changing the PS rules and changing IR designations. We have benefited tremendously from being able to have Andrews come back in 3 weeks instead of 8 and his IR designation had nothing to do with Covid. Same with Sony who can also come back in next week I believe.
Right, we can have more players, but nothing to address the fact we lost 8 players we already thought were better than those out on the streets. The IR rules are a positive change, ones that apply to all teams, and ones I hope stick in the future.

What is amazing to me is that we have said for the last 20 years that the Patriots beat you with guys 23-53 because we build a complete team with great depth, next guy up, yada, yada, yada. Our entire org including most notably our HC seems to have lose their minds with Covid which I never saw coming from the most prestige, button up, no excuse team in the league.
I don't see the organization itself making excuses or losing their minds. In fact it seems the team is sticking together quite well with the players giving the coaches and staff a lot of praise for the way they are being treated.

Right, we can have more players, but nothing to address the fact we lost 8 players we already thought were better than those out on the streets. The IR rules are a positive change, ones that apply to all teams, and ones I hope stick in the future.

I don't see the organization itself making excuses or losing their minds. In fact it seems the team is sticking together quite well with the players giving the coaches and staff a lot of praise for the way they are being treated.
I love the new IR rules and hope they keep them long term. Football is all about attrition so let as many guys as possible come back in 3 weeks.
What was the NFL supposed to do with the opt-outs? They can't magically give NE its own private draft to replace those players. It sucks but no other team had more than 2 so for whatever reason the Pats had terrible luck when it came to guys not wanting to take the risks. And like I said, the Pats more than any other team have always preached next guy up and to be honest the impactful opt-outs were on D and our D has been very good to great. It's our O that is the problem.

It's no excuses when the parameters are equal. Not practicing for 2 weeks while Denver got to is not equal. Having to take a flight day of a game halfway across the country isn't equal when the standard procedure is to travel at least a day before.

Stuff like requesting more space for distancing in the visting locker room at KC and being told no is the kind of stuff that is causing Belichick to seethe. Because the league doesn't care about safety or anything, they're just trying to get the season in so they get their tv money

It's no excuses when the parameters are equal. Not practicing for 2 weeks while Denver got to is not equal. Having to take a flight day of a game halfway across the country isn't equal when the standard procedure is to travel at least a day before.

Stuff like requesting more space for distancing on KC and being told no is the kind of stuff that is causing Belichick to seethe. Because the league doesn't care about safety or anything, they're just trying to get the season in so they get their tv money
I don't disagree but Tenn has been dealing with the same thing to a greater extent as more of their players and coaches were effected for a longer period of time and they have not missed a beat.

And I can't understand why some people fixate on some perceived or actual deficiency at the drafting of one position on the team.

It's not like we stop at the end of the season like PIT does and says "we got bounced out of the playoffs, but man we got great WRs!".

This run of ours has been like having a partner who is wonderful in every way except the partner refuses to do laundry.

Guess what, you figure out how to get the laundry done while you freaking enjoy the hell out of the rest of the experience, instead of whining about the laundry every chance you get.

We're coming off a twenty year best ever run and we get thread after thread from laundry experts telling us how important laundry is, it's absurd.

They even hijack threads about different teams and different topics to carry on with their fixation.
Except the sex is over because you lost all your money because you can’t work anymore because you don’t have any clean clothes to wear and you blew all your savings on new clothes each year

Bill did a poor job drafting on offense which is what got us where we are. We were able to move from Welker and Moss to edelman and gronk because they developed those guys and they became stars

Unfortunately he hasn't drafted the next guys yet. You need guys who can beat coverage. You cant scheme guys open every play.

Bill did a poor job drafting on offense which is what got us where we are. We were able to move from Welker and Moss to edelman and gronk because they developed those guys and they became stars

Unfortunately he hasn't drafted the next guys yet. You need guys who can beat coverage. You cant scheme guys open every play.
Our last few drafts in general haven't been great but drafting the skill positions (WR, TE, RB) has been brutal. The two TE's this year, who may or may not exist, Harry, plodding oft injured Sony, Harris who has been injured and hasn't had much of a chance yet, Malcolm Mitchell who actually looked to be a glimmer of hope only to have that knee fall apart on him, Dobson, and Boyce.

That is going back the first few rounds for the last 10 drafts and the only one who panned out is James White.

Tampa Bay/Raiders game moved back to 4:05pm. Apparently NBC went batshit about the possibility of losing SNF to a cancelled game.

How many of you are going to be flipping back and forth between Pats and Bucs?

Tampa Bay/Raiders game moved back to 4:05pm. Apparently NBC went batshit about the possibility of losing SNF to a cancelled game.

I'll be watching the Pats game and just flip to it during ads. I'll watch the Bucs game later in the week.

If you are in the NE area and don"t have Sunday Ticket or a stream link you aren't getting the game

Screenshot_20201023-174548_Chrome.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore