PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dianna Russini was talking about Barrett this morning. According to her, the Bucs are doing multiple restructures, and are going to do everything they can to keep Barrett in town. I took what she was saying to mean that Barrett just has to not be ridiculous with his demands, and he'll be back.
Sounds like they've already reached a # with Barrett and just trying to see how they can get it to work. Not sure how I feel about this. If his number is $18 then why not. If it's >$20, that's just too much.

Sounds like they've already reached a # with Barrett and just trying to see how they can get it to work. Not sure how I feel about this. If his number is $18 then why not. If it's >$20, that's just too much.

With that number can they bring back gronk and AB? Idk. Feels like someone will be left out.

The guy’s chirping a lil too much about wanting to get paid. Like if he’s had a von miller career. He’s had a two good years in tampa and this season his numbers went down vastly. There’s some decent 3-4 OLB in free agency for half of what he’s asking.
Like who?

Like who?

Olivier Vernon. He had the same numbers as barrett and that’s playing DE. He had his best year as a pro playing as a 3-4 OLB. That’s his natural position. He’s played most his career as a 4-3. When the giants played in a 3-4 defense in 2018 he made the pro bowl.

With that number can they bring back gronk and AB? Idk. Feels like someone will be left out.
Depends on the restructures. They could have plenty of money for both.

Brady to Godwin was a 79% completion rate in 2020, even with Godwin having to play with a broken finger.

Yea hes really good, but we've given players a hard time who perform in regular season and drop off in playoffs. That was one crazy game where he couldn't catch a cold against the Saints

Great player, but you won't find any tape of special players like Moss, Rice, etc dropping 5-6 balls in a single elimination playoff game (or regular season for that matter)

Olivier Vernon. He had the same numbers as barrett and that’s playing DE. He had his best year as a pro playing as a 3-4 OLB. That’s his natural position. He’s played most his career as a 4-3. When the giants played in a 3-4 defense in 2018 he made the pro bowl.
He's coming off a week 17 ruptured Achilles tendon so it's risky. Pass.

Yea hes really good, but we've given players a hard time who perform in regular season and drop off in playoffs. That was one crazy game where he couldn't catch a cold against the Saints

Great player, but you won't find any tape of special players like Moss, Rice, etc dropping 5-6 balls in a single elimination playoff game (or regular season for that matter)
He also made a sick catch early vs GB on a third down right down the middle of the field.

Broken finger + First time playoff jitters

And Edelman made dropping passes routine, but we don't hold that against him.

PewterReport.com reports that Mickens was arrested on March 5 after police officers found a concealed firearm during a traffic stop. The police report indicates that Mickens faces a felony charge as a result. Mickens posted bail of $35,000 and is due in court on July 8.

Per the report, the Buccaneers are aware of the arrest and are expected to issue a statement about it in the near future.

Report: Jaydon Mickens arrested on gun charge

Tony Romo:

''Incredibly tense moments, everyone on their feet, can Mahomes pull another miracle? The fact that he has brought his team here, speaks volumes about his greatness! 15 seconds to go, 4th down...Mahomes....Mahomes....he scrambles, what an incredible evasion, what a pass, MAHOMES TOUCHDOWN CHIEFS!!! He has done it! With that remarkable play we finish the broadcast for this Super Bowl, final score: Bucs 40, Chiefs 10. Thank you for watching everyone.''

Tony Romo:

''Incredibly tense moments, everyone on their feet, can Mahomes pull another miracle? The fact that he has brought his team here, speaks volumes about his greatness! 15 seconds to go, 4th down...Mahomes....Mahomes....he scrambles, what an incredible evasion, what a pass, MAHOMES TOUCHDOWN CHIEFS!!! He has done it! With that remarkable play we finish the broadcast for this Super Bowl, final score: Bucs 40, Chiefs 10. Thank you for watching everyone.''
Reminds me of:

Regards,
Chris

I get franchising Godwin for all the things he does and it's just 1 year.
I understand the deal for Lavonte for his leadership and it's just 2 years.

But for Barrett, they are saying that it would take about 20 million average for 4 or 5 years to sign him. As NE fans, we don't like seeing our favorite teams overpay for anyone. In fact I don't really recall NE overpaying a big star on a long term deal ever. If they overpay Barrett, it means losing out on other important pieces ie Brown and not being able to shop the bargain bin for good players among these recently released free agents.

Respect to the Bucs bringing the band back. Bill would let the top players walk, sign retreads in their place and tell Tom "make it happen buddy".

I get franchising Godwin for all the things he does and it's just 1 year.
I understand the deal for Lavonte for his leadership and it's just 2 years.

But for Barrett, they are saying that it would take about 20 million average for 4 or 5 years to sign him. As NE fans, we don't like seeing our favorite teams overpay for anyone. In fact I don't really recall NE overpaying a big star on a long term deal ever. If they overpay Barrett, it means losing out on other important pieces ie Brown and not being able to shop the bargain bin for good players among these recently released free agents.

People are judging the ability of the team to keep all the players without looking into the possibilities involved in clearing up cap space and pushing cap charges into a year where there's not a precipitous drop in the cap dollars allowable.

Also, if the Bucs keep all/most of their players, why would they need to go dumpster diving?

QB - set
RB - depends on whether Fournette comes back, but they've got Jones and RB is a position that can be found dirt cheap or in the draft
TE - set
OL - starters set
WR - set
DL - starters set
LB - starters set
S - set
CB - could theoretically use an upgrade at CB1, but the money was never going to be spent there this offseason

If the Bucs keep their guys, the team is set pretty much across the board, and that's even before they hit the draft.

Don't sleep on Ke'Shawn Vaughn.
I hear you. I just thought that saying "And they've got Vaughn", who's not shown anything world beating, would lead to something like "but they lost Fournette (you know, that guy that so many here were saying sucked and was a waste of Tampa's money), so I was trying to avoid that particular bit of potential silliness.

I hear you. I just thought that saying "And they've got Vaughn", who's not shown anything world beating, would lead to something like "but they lost Fournette (you know, that guy that so many here were saying sucked and was a waste of Tampa's money), so I was trying to avoid that particular bit of potential silliness.
Vaughn was in a tough spot because they wanted to roll with Jones, signed McCoy. But when Fournette became available, that buried Vaughn. I still would like for them to re-sign Fournette.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe