PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Nick Foles declines option to stay with Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.
we will see him in the AFCCG when the Pats play the Jags.

I am not sure the pick that the Eagles will get back from trading him is worth all the restructuring they have to do to fit a QB tag under their cap. They are already in a pretty bad situation but works for me if they want to keep pushing those bills forward and hamstringing themselves for the rest of the rookie contract of Wentz.
The Eagles are still enjoying their 1x SB so this is just too much thinking for now.

If you were his agent, Foles would fire you.

There is exactly ZERO reason for Foles to cooperate with a trade for at least a couple of months. Obviously, Foles would get more money if the team doesn't need to give compensation to PHI.

If Foles is a franchise player on March 13th, then PHI must cut $25M of other players to meet the salary cap on March 13 at 4 PM.

At some point after that, Foles could CHOOSE to sign the franchise tag after cooperating with PHI and other teams. I'm not sure why he would. But in any case, the $25M of players would be gone until then. That could happen, but I don't see why to would happen before the draft. At the point of Foles signing and being traded, then PHI would get a $25M cap windfall and have their choice of what's left in the market.

The ball is in PHI's court. They can choose to franchise him and cut the $25M of players, or not. Note that the situation would be much, much different if PHI were one of the teams with $50M or more cap space. Then PHI could afford to franchise him and absorb the cap cost for a few months.

What's not to understand? Roseman actually offered a contract (which Foles signed) with an option buyout, who does that in the NFL? With PHI exercising the option thus showing intent to keep him they are somewhat satisfying the current CBA language designed to prevent tag n trades. Foles exercises the buyout and gets the tag as his baseline in negotiating with whatever team(s) his agent is currently in talks with. Once they have a deal, think no time flat as in easily this league year, the team that 'won' the sweepstakes sends anywhere from a very late 1st to a mid 3rd to the Iggles. Foles & Roseman get to mutually agree on the team . Sure it somewhat violates the spirit of the way things are supposed to be done but no more so than the contract details being in place between Flores & Miami before the Pats season ended.

In your scenario, a team that wants Flores and illegally negotiates and comes to terms with him before the 2018 season ends. The team and Foles would simply wait until March 14th to see if the franchise tag is dropped, which would be likely. If PHI were willing to cut $25M of players to get a low 1st then perhaps the team might contact PHI. More likely, the team would wait a month or two until the price came down.

What's not to understand? Roseman actually offered a contract (which Foles signed) with an option buyout, who does that in the NFL? With PHI exercising the option thus showing intent to keep him they are somewhat satisfying the current CBA language designed to prevent tag n trades. Foles exercises the buyout and gets the tag as his baseline in negotiating with whatever team(s) his agent is currently in talks with. Once they have a deal, think no time flat as in easily this league year, the team that 'won' the sweepstakes sends anywhere from a very late 1st to a mid 3rd to the Iggles. Foles & Roseman get to mutually agree on the team . Sure it somewhat violates the spirit of the way things are supposed to be done but no more so than the contract details being in place between Flores & Miami before the Pats season ended.

You really shouldn't believe everything you read on ESPN.

1) Because of the buyout, Foles is a UFA.
2) Unless the league changes the rules while I wasn't looking, you aren't allowed to place the Tag on a player if it would put you over the Salary Cap.

3) The Eagles were $16M over the projected cap prior to Foles exercising the buyout. At best, they will be $7M under the cap. They'd still need to free up at least $18+M to be able to use the Franchise Tag on Foles.

If you have other information where teams are allowed to violate the Salary Cap while using the Franchise tag, please share it..

Agree but the need for QB upgrade is so pressing across so many teams, Foles could end up in almost any division except NFCE.

Foles is looking at a BFD multi year. Smart of him from a money perspective and from a career perspective The Eagles are committed to Wentz. So it's a good move for Foles to seek a dance partner that isn't looking elsewhere half the time.

Why can’t he end up in the NFC East? He will be a UFA and the Eagles are not allowed to tag and trade as it violates the CBA (recall the Patriots attempted trade of Malcom Butler to the Saints). Giants and Redskins are both in need of a QB.

If I were him I’d strongly consider the Giants. They have Barkley and OBJ...they’d just need to eat Eli’s contract for a year to pull it off. I’m sure they could structure a long-term deal around this obstacle.

Personally I think the Eagles picked the wrong QB here.

1) Because of the buyout, Foles is a UFA.
2) Unless the league changes the rules while I wasn't looking, you aren't allowed to place the Tag on a player if it would put you over the Salary Cap.

3) The Eagles were $16M over the projected cap prior to Foles exercising the buyout. At best, they will be $7M under the cap. They'd still need to free up at least $18+M to be able to use the Franchise Tag on Foles.

If you have other information where teams are allowed to violate the Salary Cap while using the Franchise tag, please share it..
I have also read that the CBA does not allow a team to place a franchise tag on a player with the intent of trading them immediately.

Although the Patriots did this with Matt Cassell. They placed the franchise tag on him and then traded him to KC with Vrabel for a 2nd round pick. THta may ahve been before the new CBA in which teams are not supposed to do that.

The Eagles were apparently afraid that the Giants were going to sign him. Now they can control where he goes.
I thought you couldn't franchise tag someone just to trade him, which it seems the Eagles are doing.....................

Why can’t he end up in the NFC East? He will be a UFA and the Eagles are not allowed to tag and trade as it violates the CBA (recall the Patriots attempted trade of Malcom Butler to the Saints). Giants and Redskins are both in need of a QB.

If I were him I’d strongly consider the Giants. They have Barkley and OBJ...they’d just need to eat Eli’s contract for a year to pull it off. I’m sure they could structure a long-term deal around this obstacle.

Personally I think the Eagles picked the wrong QB here.
Foles just turned 30 and Wentz is 26 so it's not that big of a difference in age.. Eagles like some other teams are basing it on pedigree and draft status.... The big difference between them..Foles goes thru his progressions and throws to all his receivers while Wentz tried to force everything to Ertz and teams keyed on him .....even when others were open...

Didn’t this dude crash and burn the last time he got a free agent contract and that’s the reason why he went back to the iggles.

Didn’t this dude crash and burn the last time he got a free agent contract and that’s the reason why he went back to the iggles.
He went to a Jeff Fisher St. Louis team that was devoid of talent and got them to 7-9 ( they dropped to 4-12 the next year). He was serviceable as a backup in KC... but I think he will land in the right situation this time...

I would suspect that the Jaguars will take a long, deep sniff of him.

No that is not accurate.

The Eagles are still enjoying their 1x SB so this is just too much thinking for now.

I think for those of us who remember the 01 season, the 2002 season was a 'Ugh.....well, at least we won in 01'., feeling all year.

I think this is big. Foles was clearly the better leader for the Eagles. I wish him the best as long as he doesn't go to Miami..

Gotta think Miami would seriously consider pouring money all over this guy. They know their QB situation isn't working and "Big **** Nick" would go a long way to restoring fan confidence.

Course there are a few other teams that might come in and play spoiler. Washington for one. Jacksonville for another. Denver might be interested as well. Just hope that one of those other teams backs up the truck I guess.

I would suspect that the Jaguars will take a long, deep sniff of him.
I'm thinking that football-wise that makes perfect sense, but cap-wise aren't the Jags in deep trouble?

I'm trying to think of a situation in which an otherwise good team is held back by their QB play but has the salary cap structure to bring on Foles at starter money. Nothing is coming to mind as a perfect fit. Jags? Broncos? Titans?

I'm thinking that football-wise that makes perfect sense, but cap-wise aren't the Jags in deep trouble?

I'm trying to think of a situation in which an otherwise good team is held back by their QB play but has the salary cap structure to bring on Foles at starter money. Nothing is coming to mind as a perfect fit. Jags? Broncos? Titans?
Rams? :D

You really shouldn't assume I read a damn thing on bspn, I didn't.
You also shouldn't be so quick to discount Roseman knowing what he is about.

Ravens would be a true Super Bowl contender with him, but luckily for us it will take them a few years to realize/admit the obvious. I would say a similar situation with the Bears. Trubisky really sucks and holds that team back, but the team is still buried in dumb optimsm with his spurious “pro bowl” season. Titans in the same boat. Three teams who think they’re probably good at the position but aren’t, who could contend with Foles.
Ravens should try to pick up Foles, or Flacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back