PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Nick Foles declines option to stay with Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Formality. If he accepted the option he would be turning down a lot more money, an opportunity to choose his new team, or both.

The Eagles will very likely tag him, to trade or (less likely) to keep, at 25 M

If they don't he will be a free agent and likely make around the option number ($20.6 million + the 2M he will pay the team) per year and would likely get a 4 or 5 year deal, not one year.

The Eagles will very likely tag him, to trade or (less likely) to keep, at 25 M

I am not sure the pick that the Eagles will get back from trading him is worth all the restructuring they have to do to fit a QB tag under their cap. They are already in a pretty bad situation but works for me if they want to keep pushing those bills forward and hamstringing themselves for the rest of the rookie contract of Wentz.

the cap is too tight for the eagles, iddeally thyd be able to control his rights, but its too difficult

he will be an FA, and i doubt miami is his choice because he seems like a winner and MIA is a perennial loser

he will be an FA, and i doubt miami is his choice because he seems like a winner and MIA is a perennial loser

It is unlikely Roseman is going through the hoops just to see Foles leave as a FA. Where it gets interesting is the language change in this CBA regarding tag n trade. Theoretically Foles could blow up a tag n trade if he were so inclined and willing to push it hard. A more likely scenario is Roseman & Foles' agent are performing a highly choreographed dance designed to drive desirable suitors to both their tables.

If Miami is truly tanking, no way do they ruin that plan by bringing in Foles. I wonder if he'd be a good fit in Chicago if they're not sold on Trubisky, or perhaps the Jags.

Just trying to think of teams that have decent talent (especially on defense), and wouldn't be looking to wait on a rookie to get them into contention.

If Miami is truly tanking, no way do they ruin that plan by bringing in Foles. I wonder if he'd be a good fit in Chicago if they're not sold on Trubisky, or perhaps the Jags.

Just trying to think of teams that have decent talent (especially on defense), and wouldn't be looking to wait on a rookie to get them into contention.
The Jags are a better fit.. They have the talent on defense and offense ( albeit with a few head cases and egos)... Guys like playing with Foles and seem to give more effort.. That's how it looked in Philly versus Wentz as QB.....

Ravens would be a true Super Bowl contender with him, but luckily for us it will take them a few years to realize/admit the obvious. I would say a similar situation with the Bears. Trubisky really sucks and holds that team back, but the team is still buried in dumb optimsm with his spurious “pro bowl” season. Titans in the same boat. Three teams who think they’re probably good at the position but aren’t, who could contend with Foles.

I wopuld like to see him take a one year deal somewhere just in case Brady walks after 2019.

The Eagles were apparently afraid that the Giants were going to sign him. Now they can control where he goes.

Ravens would be a true Super Bowl contender with him, but luckily for us it will take them a few years to realize/admit the obvious. .

I think you are forgetting about their immortal future 1st ballot HoFer QB Lamar Jackson.

You've got to think Flores will take a look at him...

I hope not. I rather like our AFCE rival's having marginal mediocrity at the most important position on the field. (despite what some may think of him, Foles would be an upgrade for most teams)

I don't understand. PHI has less than ZERO cap money. They will need to cut a player simply to get though the first day of season.

If they franchise Foles, they would need to cut about $25M of additional players. They would get the cap space back in July when and if Foles signed the franchise tender. he cannot be traded until he signs the franchise contract.

Stupid. Just keep 2 QBs, it's super easy. That's what the JimmyG crew here seems to believe.

I’m not sure why people are afraid of Nick Foles.

Agreed. Put Hightower, Jason McCourty, JC Jackson, Jonathan Jones, and this year's version of Gilmore, Van Noy, Guy, Roberts on the 2017 defense, and we win that Super Bowl. Hell, we were essentially one stop away from winning WITHOUT those guys (a stop we obviously couldn't get, but still). Foles is a solid QB who can win with a great supporting cast. But he's pretty low on my list of concerning QBs.

Ravens would be a true Super Bowl contender with him, but luckily for us it will take them a few years to realize/admit the obvious. I would say a similar situation with the Bears. Trubisky really sucks and holds that team back, but the team is still buried in dumb optimsm with his spurious “pro bowl” season. Titans in the same boat. Three teams who think they’re probably good at the position but aren’t, who could contend with Foles.

Agree but the need for QB upgrade is so pressing across so many teams, Foles could end up in almost any division except NFCE.

Foles is looking at a BFD multi year. Smart of him from a money perspective and from a career perspective The Eagles are committed to Wentz. So it's a good move for Foles to seek a dance partner that isn't looking elsewhere half the time.

I don't understand. PHI has less than ZERO cap money. They will need to cut a player simply to get though the first day of season.

If they franchise Foles, they would need to cut about $25M of additional players. They would get the cap space back in July when and if Foles signed the franchise tender. he cannot be traded until he signs the franchise contract.

What's not to understand? Roseman actually offered a contract (which Foles signed) with an option buyout, who does that in the NFL? With PHI exercising the option thus showing intent to keep him they are somewhat satisfying the current CBA language designed to prevent tag n trades. Foles exercises the buyout and gets the tag as his baseline in negotiating with whatever team(s) his agent is currently in talks with. Once they have a deal, think no time flat as in easily this league year, the team that 'won' the sweepstakes sends anywhere from a very late 1st to a mid 3rd to the Iggles. Foles & Roseman get to mutually agree on the team . Sure it somewhat violates the spirit of the way things are supposed to be done but no more so than the contract details being in place between Flores & Miami before the Pats season ended.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey