PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT:NFL Chief Media and Business Officer says Sunday Ticket is "Ripe for Innovation"

I finally gave up on my gamepass subscription. It didn't work right half the time and crashed constantly. Now with an 18 month old I hardly have time to watch live let alone a rewatch every Monday like I used to. Completely agree that whatever the league tries to do to be innovative with Sunday Ticket they will bungle it.
It is too bad that your computer and internet aren't working well. My guess is that Game Pass works fine for the vast majority. Whether it is a service worth the money is an individual choice.

I would note than one option is to use ROKU to deliver GamePass. Roku cost nothing except an initial $30 investment that include the remote. I have had no problem at all with any channel that I buy through them.

Roku works great. Glad I kept ours. One of the new fancy smaht TVs doesn't support certain channels. MLB and Sunday Ticket to name a couple.

Bezos' probably looking to bundle..."Give me a team and Sunday Ticket and tell my secretary how much on your way out"
That seems to me to be an awful lot of power to concentrate in one place.

Bezos literally has enough money to buy and sell all the other 31 owners.

Tepper's $15B and Jones's $9B is nothing compared to Bezos's $200B.

From a tech point of view I think Amazon could deliver a much better product than DTV does.

From a power point of view, I think giving Bezos de-facto control over the future of NFL streaming as well as the clout he'd get by buying a NFL franchise and thus a seat at the table of the NFL's owner's meetings would be pretty darn scary.

Yet we read Amazon is bidding for Sunday Ticket, and Bezos has put an offer of $5B on the table for the Broncos.

We live in interesting times.

It is too bad that your computer and internet aren't working well. My guess is that Game Pass works fine for the vast majority. Whether it is a service worth the money is an individual choice.

I would note than one option is to use ROKU to deliver GamePass. Roku cost nothing except an initial $30 investment that include the remote. I have had no problem at all with any channel that I buy through them.
Leo Dicaprio Shrug GIF

Interesting article:

I feel like if DirecTV loses this, they'll be in serious trouble and it could be a potential death-knell to the service. At the same time, I would love to see it evolve a little more but for any of us with a Gamepass subscription, is anyone else a little skeptical after the league ruined something they had done pretty well prior to recently? Talk about a major step backwards...it completely sucks right now compared to previously. :rolleyes:

No one should have to sign up for DTV just to get Sunday Ticket. It was a bad deal for the NFL‘s relationship with its fans. There’s a new deal coming and you’re right to be concerned that the NFL will screw up that opportunity and shaft its fans.

No one should have to sign up for DTV just to get Sunday Ticket. It was a bad deal for the NFL‘s relationship with its fans. There’s a new deal coming and you’re right to be concerned that the NFL will screw up that opportunity and shaft its fans.

Whoever pays for the rights for the streaming of Sunday Ticket are going to use it to get new subscribers for their streaming services. If you think that this is going to be a stand alone product that people can subscribe just to that, forget it. It isn't going to happen. The price to get the rights is far too high unless you want to be like $1-2k every year to get Sunday Ticket as a stand alone product.

Whoever pays for the rights for the streaming of Sunday Ticket are going to use it to get new subscribers for their streaming services. If you think that this is going to be a stand alone product that people can subscribe just to that, forget it. It isn't going to happen. The price to get the rights is far too high unless you want to be like $1-2k every year to get Sunday Ticket as a stand alone product.
Hasn’t exactly worked out for DTV, though. In an age where people are talking Web 3, young people don’t want to subscribe to this nonsense. The NFL should package all its products and keep more cash. Everybody I know buys GP and uses a VPN. watch the NFL screw that up too.

Hasn’t exactly worked out for DTV, though. In an age where people are talking Web 3, young people don’t want to subscribe to this nonsense. The NFL should package all its products and keep more cash. Everybody I know buys GP and uses a VPN. watch the NFL screw that up too.

It is because satellite TV is a dying industry. When people can get all the same channels through streaming without having to put a dish on their roof, they aren’t going to use DirecTV. DirecTV should have brought Sunday Ticket to their streaming service. They probably would have gotten a ton of cord cutters who went with Sling or YouTube.

It is because satellite TV is a dying industry. When people can get all the same channels through streaming without having to put a dish on their roof, they aren’t going to use DirecTV. DirecTV should have brought Sunday Ticket to their streaming service. They probably would have gotten a ton of cord cutters who went with Sling or YouTube.

1.) Dishes are here to stay for remote areas, RV nomads, and sports bars.

2.) DTV only has SATELLITE rights to ST. They can't combine ST with their streaming service.

3.) What I would like to see is either Disney, Apple, or Amazon buy ST from DTV for the 2022 season along with a new deal with the NFL through 2033. I don't care what streaming service will be bundled with it...I care more about ditching my dish/cables so I can move my TV anywhere with ease.

4.) I hope they break it up into team by team views, but I have my doubts. For example, I have ST "Max" which is the only way I can get the red zone channel without buying it separately (also comes with ability to stream ST on all devices). So, probably will be a pay tier structure that forces us all to shell over $$$$ anyway.

I just go to a sports bar.

I can follow the Pat's and about 3 other games on different TVs. Fans of other teams are there melting down like it's the end of the world.

My cost is approximately $20 per game with meal, ice tea and tip included. I don't have to fool with cooking at home and being distracted from the game.

I just go to a sports bar.

I can follow the Pat's and about 3 other games on different TVs. Fans of other teams are there melting down like it's the end of the world.

My cost is approximately $20 per game with meal, ice tea and tip included. I don't have to fool with cooking at home and being distracted from the game.
You're really bucking the system excluding alcohol from that purchase!

The NYFL is seriously tied to that industry. Like they were tied to, and lost, the tobacco industry, they are slowly losing this one. Getting in bed with the broadcasters is the key to their survival. I'm going off a limb here calling this, but I believe Disney will eventually "control" the NFL, or all professional sports.

This is of course, an alcohol infused post!

You're really bucking the system excluding alcohol from that purchase!

The NYFL is seriously tied to that industry. Like they were tied to, and lost, the tobacco industry, they are slowly losing this one. Getting in bed with the broadcasters is the key to their survival. I'm going off a limb here calling this, but I believe Disney will eventually "control" the NFL, or all professional sports.

This is of course, an alcohol infused post!
I refuse to drink and drive.

I can drink 10 beers and be sober as a judge, but technically over the legal limit.

Its just not worth the risk damaging my insuraces and credit.

2.) DTV only has SATELLITE rights to ST. They can't combine ST with their streaming service.

3.) What I would like to see is either Disney, Apple, or Amazon buy ST from DTV for the 2022 season along with a new deal with the NFL through 2033. I don't care what streaming service will be bundled with it...I care more about ditching my dish/cables so I can move my TV anywhere with ease.

4.) I hope they break it up into team by team views, but I have my doubts. For example, I have ST "Max" which is the only way I can get the red zone channel without buying it separately (also comes with ability to stream ST on all devices). So, probably will be a pay tier structure that forces us all to shell over $$$$ anyway.

1.) Rural America isn't the reason why they have the Sunday Ticket. Those people are a captured audience. They have Sunday Ticket for the burbs and cities where people have choices and Sunday Ticket will make them more attractive than cable. And with the new infrastructure bill, much of rural America will get broadband internet which would make DirecTV obsolete.

2.) DirecTV absolutely has the streaming rights. And do actually offer the streaming service to people who live at addresses (mostly apartment buildings) where they cannot install a dish to get the satellite service.

3.) DirecTV's Sunday Ticket rights are up after this season and the NFL wants sell the streaming rights to a major provider not DirecTV. DirecTV intends to renew the rights to the broadcast version of Sunday Ticket.

4.) The NFL has already said they are interested in making the service as you say where you can pay to follow only one team the entire year. That is what the NBA and MLB do with their streaming services and they find it generates more revenue for the service. So it will happen.

Last edited:
Every sports bar I have been in in recent years has wifi
And given the power boost to wifi in recent years.......
I can't imagine a sports bar transition from satellite to streaming would be all that complicated or expensive.
I would also hope the NFL chooses to be all-inclusive with its next Sunday Ticket delivery selections: Dish, Cable, & Streaming.
Leveraging consumers into unwanted choices is bullshyte

But then again, leverage is their forte.......... $14 beers. $50 parking, $5 cups of tap water, & Thursday Night Football

Unless sports are on, I don’t watch regular TV. I’m streaming Netflix, HBO, Prime, etc.

1.) Rural America isn't the reason why they have the Sunday Ticket. Those people are a captured audience. They have Sunday Ticket for the burbs and cities where people have choices and Sunday Ticket will make them more attractive than cable.
Not just rural areas. That was structured toward the commercial market, ie; bars/restaurants. I had my hand in on an attempt to offer Sunday Ticket at a local bar. The owner (a good friend) contracted us to build a shelf to hold 7 (tube tv's), power and sat connections. Seven new tv's and labor into it he then learns that he needs 7 sat receivers and to use them he needs 7 DTV Sunday Ticket accounts, BASED on the occupancy of the building. Spent a fortune to comply and got one customer to come in and have a few beers and watch the Browns! Lost his shirt on that one!

On a side note, he got a few promotional posters for the service and tacked them up here and there. One in particular was none other than five-head plastered right in front (below the tv) of us Patriots fans rooting for Tommy and the boys! I ripped it off and stapled it upside down. And you know how that worked. You can thank me later...........

Not just rural areas. That was structured toward the commercial market, ie; bars/restaurants. I had my hand in on an attempt to offer Sunday Ticket at a local bar. The owner (a good friend) contracted us to build a shelf to hold 7 (tube tv's), power and sat connections. Seven new tv's and labor into it he then learns that he needs 7 sat receivers and to use them he needs 7 DTV Sunday Ticket accounts, BASED on the occupancy of the building. Spent a fortune to comply and got one customer to come in and have a few beers and watch the Browns! Lost his shirt on that one!

On a side note, he got a few promotional posters for the service and tacked them up here and there. One in particular was none other than five-head plastered right in front (below the tv) of us Patriots fans rooting for Tommy and the boys! I ripped it off and stapled it upside down. And you know how that worked. You can thank me later...........

If Sunday Ticket was offered in a streaming service, I bet a large portion of the bars that use satellite would switch. It is probably much cheaper than the dish over time and probably a better picture.

If Sunday Ticket was offered in a streaming service, I bet a large portion of the bars that use satellite would switch. It is probably much cheaper than the dish over time and probably a better picture.
I agree, but streaming wasn't an option then. Heck, I stream all of my tv now, except for Perry Mason late night on MeTV!

1.) Rural America isn't the reason why they have the Sunday Ticket. Those people are a captured audience. They have Sunday Ticket for the burbs and cities where people have choices and Sunday Ticket will make them more attractive than cable. And with the new infrastructure bill, much of rural America will get broadband internet which would make DirecTV obsolete.

2.) DirecTV absolutely has the streaming rights. And do actually offer the streaming service to people who live at addresses (mostly apartment buildings) where they cannot install a dish to get the satellite service.

3.) DirecTV's Sunday Ticket rights are up after this season and the NFL wants sell the streaming rights to a major provider not DirecTV. DirecTV intends to renew the rights to the broadcast version of Sunday Ticket.

4.) The NFL has already said they are interested in making the service as you say where you can pay to follow only one team the entire year. That is what the NBA and MLB do with their streaming services and they find it generates more revenue for the service. So it will happen.

1.) Infrastructure won't bring broadband to remote areas within five years if ever....and DTV is most likely to buy Dish

2.) ST streaming is only made available on a separate app and for people who cannot get a dish mounted physically. Select markets allow the app now, but otherwise you can't get ST on "DTV Streaming" nor "Att TV" or whatever it is called.

3.) DTV still has the rights thru the 2022 season.

4.) I have absolutely no faith in the NFL making ANY kind of bundle that is cheap....and don't care. For me its about ditching the physical dish.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye