PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Moving to Portland Maine EDIT: NOT moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpelton

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Got a job down in that part of the state and I look at rents in the area and Hooooooooooly hell. Just a tad bit pricier than I was expecting

So yeah. Anyone got some tips on a cheap place to crash down there while I get myself sorted? Anyone in the area need a roommate with a booming voice with a passion for history who cooks a mean terityaki chicken?

I'll say this when I moved to Boston from FL my rent went from 700/mo for a 2 bed apt to 1500/mo for a studio. So I'd highly recommend establishing an "acceptable commuting distance" and getting a radius around your job and start there, because the further you are the cheaper rent is. Good luck, sounds exciting !

I'll say this when I moved to Boston from FL my rent went from 700/mo for a 2 bed apt to 1500/mo for a studio. So I'd highly recommend establishing an "acceptable commuting distance" and getting a radius around your job and start there, because the further you are the cheaper rent is. Good luck, sounds exciting !
I know people that would do unspeakable things to attain a 1500/mo studio in Boston. Even now that's unbelievably fair for anywhere near/in the city. I'm sure things are hurting now but that's a great deal.

I know people that would do unspeakable things to attain a 1500/mo studio in Boston. Even now that's unbelievably fair for anywhere near/in the city. I'm sure things are hurting now but that's a great deal.
Idk man 1500 for like a 120 SQ foot studio was a huge shift to me lol. On top of that I had to pay $100 to park my car there so I ended up getting rid of the car and just walking to work 15 minutes away. It was actually pretty cool and a great experience but that **** got old quick lol

landlords thinks its portland ma

Last edited:
Actually, rent in Portland Oregon is 2-300 bucks cheaper a month.

Guess how I know that.

Idk man 1500 for like a 120 SQ foot studio was a huge shift to me lol. On top of that I had to pay $100 to park my car there so I ended up getting rid of the car and just walking to work 15 minutes away. It was actually pretty cool and a great experience but that **** got old quick lol
Oh I feel you bro! It's borderline criminal. I live in Charlestown/Somerville area and it's absolutely insane. I haven't looked at prices recently tbh but in general it's crazy. Not too long ago a studio would go 2K+ around here. Just awful.

I have to stay here bc my job, laborers union, but am already thinking about buying something in NH or something like that to retire.

Working for the man does not equal being the man!

best thing I ever did was run my own business.

what part of maine you moving from

what part of maine you moving from
Washington County, way out east near the Canadian border

I think he mentioned he was from Sterno Creek...or was it Lockjaw Lake? anyway, he's got the shock of his life waiting for him when he finds out the women in Portland don't have antlers...:p:p:p
Pretty much. Very rural, very poor. We're the only county in Maine actually poorer and more rural than Aroostook County The county seat has less than 5,000 residents. The only notable thing that ever happened here is a small privateer skirmish against the British Navy during the Revolutionary War

On the other hand, it's beautiful here, and the Internet is surprisngly good where I live because we're on the Boston-to-Halifax corridor so there is at leat some infrastructure.

Last edited:
Portland isnt so bad compared to where I moved from but yeah, its no walk in the park either. Cant believe Im paying 1550 for a 1 bedroom with a yard and home office, and still have to deal with winter.

Looking like Lewiston is much cheaper as far as rent goes, and the commute isn't totally unreasonable.

Looking like Lewiston is much cheaper as far as rent goes, and the commute isn't totally unreasonable.
That’s a hike. How much will you spend on gas and car upkeep to save on rent?

No idea but as far as "hikes" go I'm very rural, you pretty much have to drive for half an hour to get anywhere here.

No idea but as far as "hikes" go I'm very rural, you pretty much have to drive for half an hour to get anywhere here.
Probably don’t have tolls on those drives either. IIRC from when I lived in Portland you’ll be paying to use their roads every day you commute too. Make sure you look at TCO (total cost of ownership) not just one piece of it.

Lewiston some less than desirable areas, so be sure to do your research. In general, Lewiston has seen better days and some areas are looking pretty rundown but it could work if you manage to find a nice area.

FWIW, the same could be said of Portland, so there is that. :)

Just trying to find a place I can actually pay for. The first couple months at my job are gonna be "probationary" which means enforced part time, and thanks to being unemployed for 3 years "financial reserves" are a funny joke to me.

After that I can go to full time, but there's a money and time gap and I'd rather not lean on the old folks more than I can help.

also if I go cheap i might be able to reduce the humor factor of that joke a bit more easily.

Good luck! Let us know how we can help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes