PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Mazz and area media make the region look idiotic

Status
Not open for further replies.
The article is at the link. In it, he does not say what you claim.

No worries. He wasn't posting facts.

Did you bother to read the article? Here are Mazz quotes:

If I went down to the playground right now, I could easily win 100 straight of 1-on-1. Assuming I was playing against third graders, of course.

No, UConn doesn't have a huge talent advantage against the teams they play. They have a teamwork advantage.

Defenders of women’s basketball take offense to this line of thinking, but so be it. To have a legitimate streak, well, you have to have legitimate competition.

What does this even mean? Why are they illegitimate? Because they are not as talented? Not as athletic? The fact is, the opposition often plays players who are considered MORE talented than the UConn women.

We can’t help but wonder if the deck is simply stacked.

I assume this refers to talent. He's saying UConn wins because it is stacked.

Last year, in the annual WNBA Draft, the first three players were all from UConn. Think about that for a minute. In basketball, often, the team with the best player wins because there are only 10 players on the floor at any given time and because one dominant player can stay on the floor for 90-100 percent of all play. UCLA under John Wooden had Lew Alcindor (or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) and then Bill Walton. The UConn women had three of them… at the same time.

This betrays a very shallow knowledge of what is going on. One of those players was highly recruited; the other two weren't. In fact, one of them was not even a top scorer for UConn. She was a glue player, hustler, hard worker.

Is Auriemma a great coach? Probably. But if he swapped rosters with, say, No. 22-ranked South Florida and gave UConn a game, well, we might be able to buy in.

Again implies that Auriemma and UConn are getting an overwhelming share of the talent.

The last time I checked, America was built on encouraging competition and challenge, not squelching it.

Here it is again. They are squelching competition how? By playing better?

It doesn't even make any sense, because you can't win 100 games in a row without squelching competition.

This sounds like Zach Piller in 2003 not understanding why the Titans lost.

Did you bother to read the article? Here are Mazz quotes:

No, UConn doesn't have a huge talent advantage against the teams they play. They have a teamwork advantage.

What does this even mean? Why are they illegitimate? Because they are not as talented? Not as athletic? The fact is, the opposition often plays players who are considered MORE talented than the UConn women.

I assume this refers to talent. He's saying UConn wins because it is stacked.

This betrays a very shallow knowledge of what is going on. One of those players was highly recruited; the other two weren't. In fact, one of them was not even a top scorer for UConn. She was a glue player, hustler, hard worker.

Again implies that Auriemma and UConn are getting an overwhelming share of the talent.

Here it is again. They are squelching competition how? By playing better?

It doesn't even make any sense, because you can't win 100 games in a row without squelching competition.

This sounds like Zach Piller in 2003 not understanding why the Titans lost.
I don't see where you're coming from. I looked up the WNBA draft and Uconn has the best players for several years, including the top 3 picks last year. The last time it could be said they possibly didn't have the best players was 2013 when Notre Dame had the 3 and 9 overall players, and Uconn had the 6 and 7. Uconn lost to Notre Dame twice that year.

Isn't John TonAsse a Tufts grad too?
god forbid

OMG, I just googled him and you are RIGHT. I am crushed. 40+ years of great memories of my college experiences now doomed to wallow in the misery that John Tomase has the smae dilpoma as I do. (not that I know where that diploma actually is. ;) )

Between Mazz and Tomase it's a wonder that you or any other sports fan admits they went to Tufts, despite their renowned academics.

I was forced to go back to google and find out if all that Tufts could produce were assh*le sprots mediots, and old memebers of Pats fans,com 2 minutes of in depth reaserch produced this. BTW- this list doesn't include the graduate program at Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy.

Here is a link to a list of Tufts grads who include Jessica Biel, Dom Delouise, Daniel Patrick Moynihan, Bill Richardson, Oliver Platt, Peter Gallagher Hank Azerria. Michelle Kwan, Jim Lonborg, William Hurt Tracy Chatman and Scott Brown. Surprisingly a lot of actors. I went a list ithat ncluded more than 300 names of noitables. Mostly actors, politicians, (same thing I guess) business people (including the Tisch brothers:) diplomats writers, and inventors. , NONE of them named Mazzarotti or Thomase. ;) The link is below. I feel a bit better now.

Famous Tufts University Alumni

Last edited:
The Tufts University School of Dental Medicine is one of the best in the country,
and it was from there that Gentleman Jim Lonborg graduated after retiring from baseball. He was an absolute stud for us in 1967. Too bad that **** O'Connell foolishly traded Earl Wilson to Detroit during the '66 season; the Sox might actually have been able to defeat the St louis Cardinals & a well-rested Bob Gibson (they had won the NL pennant by 10 games). It's also a shame that Lonborg had torn the ligaments on his left knee during that off-season, though he eventually had a good run with the Phillies in the '70s.

The Tufts University School of Dental Medicine is one of the best in the country,
and it was from there that Gentleman Jim Lonborg graduated after retiring from baseball. He was an absolute stud for us in 1967. Too bad that **** O'Connell foolishly traded Earl Wilson to Detroit during the '66 season; the Sox might actually have been able to defeat the St louis Cardinals & a well-rested Bob Gibson (they had won the NL pennant by 10 games). It's also a shame that Lonborg had torn the ligaments on his left knee during that off-season, though he eventually had a good run with the Phillies in the '70s.
Lonborg allegedly tore up his knee falling off a ledge skiing in Colorado with a bunch of jet-setters. I still remember a college buddy of mine insisting that he tore up his knee on a ski trip to Colorado, but he actually sustained the injury falling off of Jill St. John.

Lonborg allegedly tore up his knee falling off a ledge skiing in Colorado with a bunch of jet-setters. I still remember a college buddy of mine insisting that he tore up his knee on a ski trip to Colorado, but he actually sustained the injury falling off of Jill St. John.
Lonnie should've told Jill to just use the cowgirl position; he has a career to consider, after all.

Yes. What you claimed he said, he did not say. You put false words into his mouth.

As usual, you avoid answering when you're wrong. I showed where he said UConn has a talent advantage. He repeated it in so many ways. Stacked, like playing 3rd graders, etc. His words. Not mine.

I don't see where you're coming from. I looked up the WNBA draft and Uconn has the best players for several years, including the top 3 picks last year. The last time it could be said they possibly didn't have the best players was 2013 when Notre Dame had the 3 and 9 overall players, and Uconn had the 6 and 7. Uconn lost to Notre Dame twice that year.

Look at the recruiting rankings. These kids develop at UConn. They become the best through Auriemma's system, they outwork and outhustle the others. Occasionally, they'll have 3 of their highly recruited kids graduate together, like last year. But for the most part, UConn finishes BEHIND their competition in recruiting. As I wrote in my first post, the exception to the rule is next year's class.

For instance, this year's seniors: 2014 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - espnW 100 - ESPN

Gabby Williams, who is a helluva player and probably the most athletic kid in the NCAA, was ranked 14th. The team UConn played the other night for their 100th straight, South Carolina, had the #1 player and a bunch more in the top 50. Not to mention that Aja Wilson is the likely #1 draft pick this year for the WNBA.

The opponents are not talentless.

This was the previous year: 2013 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - espnW 100 - ESPN

Top UConn kid was ranked #75. Saniya Chong. She was playing against South Carolina the other night and had some key plays.

Last edited:
...a list of Tufts grads who include Jessica Biel...

I stopped there. Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody started playing in my head....I had thoughts of crème brulee....and images of St. Lucia crept into my wintery mind.

As usual, you avoid answering when you're wrong. I showed where he said UConn has a talent advantage. He repeated it in so many ways. Stacked, like playing 3rd graders, etc. His words. Not mine.

You're lying.

I didn't avoid anything. He flat-out did not say what you claimed he said, as anyone who reads the article can see. You are trying to equate something you inferred with actual word choice that didn't actually show up in the story. Let this go.

Mazz is ****ing AWFUL.

Felger has seriously said the last week that baseball needs to eventually go to 7 innings / 3 balls / 2 strikes.

Mazz just sits there all quiet, a supposed "baseball guy", refusing to yell at him or even really argue with him about, when you know deep down he should think it's the dumbest thing he's ever heard. He refuses to debate Felger, just passively agrees with him or sits in silence. He knows he's riding his coattails and doesn't want to lose his comfy spot on the #1 show in Boston.

The show would be so much better if they got a guy who would actually have discussions with Felger instead of some contrived "oh yeah, you're so right!" bozo next to him.

It's sad that most popular Boston sports guys are all hot-take/contrarian/"let's make fun of the fans" morons. Meanwhile, I put on WFAN and everyone on the station actually likes engaging in genuine sports talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe