PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Lakers and Nuggets initiate talks regarding a trade for Carmelo Anthony.

Kontradiction

On my retirement tour.
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Sources: Los Angeles Lakers, Denver Nuggets have initial Carmelo Anthony talks - ESPN Los Angeles

The Lakers and the Denver Nuggets have had preliminary discussions about a blockbuster trade that would send Carmelo Anthony to Los Angeles, according to league sources. The Lakers' package would be built around Andrew Bynum.

Talks are in the preliminary stages, but it appears that another option besides the New York Knicks has materialized for the Nuggets.

"There have been discussions between the two teams," one of the sources said. "The Lakers are definitely an option."

Of course, Anthony, who can opt out of his contract after this season, would likely have to agree to sign a three-year, $65 million extension with the Lakers for them to part with Bynum. But Los Angeles is believed to be a city Anthony would be amenable to playing in, as he and his wife, La La Vasquez, bought a home there last summer. Two people close to Anthony said the Nuggets superstar would sign off on a deal that would make him a Laker.

The Nuggets have no interest in Lakers forward Ron Artest and sources said they may not insist on getting Lamar Odom either. A straight-up trade of Anthony for Bynum meets the financial requirements of the collective bargaining agreement, but more players could be involved since Denver would look to shed as much salary as possible.

Wow. If this goes down, you can pretty much pencil the Lakers in for another Finals appearance and possibly a win. A Melo-Kobe-Gasol big three would be pretty damn hard to stop and would make the Lakers much more able to compete with the likes of the Spurs in the West and the Heat (who they didn't match up well with at all) and the Celtics in the East. A trade like this would also pay immediate dividends to L.A.'s defense. If Bynum goes to Denver, that puts Gasol at center with Lamar Odom likely becoming a starter at PF.

I heard about this last week. This is going to be monster if they get him. geez

On paper, that is a rather ridiculous big 3 - certainly, IMO, the most talented and balanced of the so-called "big 3s". Though, in the Celtics case, their best player isn't even part of their "big 3" and they really have a big 4.

The one thing I'm not certain of is how Melo fits in offensively. You got 3 guys who are brutal to defend 1 on 1, sure, but you also don't have someone who can create opportunities for these players. You put 3 scorers together and you really don't know what will happen. Certainly Kobe is able to spot up and hit an open 3 and Gasol is consistent - bordering on annoyingly so, as a fan of the opposition - when it comes to a 16-footer; which puts them ahead of Miami in terms of how these guys will mesh.

Still, LA, like Miami, is missing a Rondo type player who can manage the scorers on his team. In Rondo's case, it's much easier as all 3 guys are just as effective spotting up and hitting jumpers as they are slashing, posting or penetrating.

Last edited:
Kontra I have to disagree with you on the defensive aspect of tie potential trade for the Lakers. I think it would weaken them defensively. Losing Bynum in the middle would hurt the Lakers significant advantage over teams in the post. Gasol is not the same player at the 5 spot, just as Odom isn't when primarily at the 4. Melo would make then a tough match up offensively though. Ultimatley Melo doesn't solve the Lakers biggest weakness, which is defense at the 1 spot. Scoring, penetrating type point guards have given them fits this year. It would be a talented trifecta though if it happens. I don't think Denver moves him to a western conference team though.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back