PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Kyler Murray gets paid

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

$230 million for Kyler? He's talented... but...

6nikmm.gif

thats a big time contract

good on him, hope he has fun cashing those fat checks...

I love it when other teams haphazardly throw HUGE $ around, crushing the cap, especially when that player hasn't proven Jack ****.

If Mac ends up being great the floor is $50 million AAV in the spring of 2024. I hope everyone understands that.

Lamar can point to this and say "this is my floor, right?" I remember when people were flipping about Mahomes deal.

A lot of money for someone who never won playoff game and has had some second half slumps lately. Didn't surpass Watson's deal but this is top 5 money I believe. Worth more than A's team.
20220721_204012.jpg

Is he worth the money based off of his resume compared to other QB’s? Hell no. But that’s not what the Cardinals are paying him for.

Cardinals are paying Murray for the ROI they receive for winning enough games to stay relevant, producing more sports center highlights which results in more prime time games, putting azzes in the seats and selling merchandise. It’s that simple.

Ravens are just playing games and will eventually have to pay Lamar Jackson.

Fantasy stud first 8-10 weeks. Fantasy Dud the rest of it.

His offensive lines have been worst in the league since he was a rookie, they still are in 2022... the GM doesn't notice or care.

It's a team game.

they shouldve tank a year and draft a better qb

If Mac ends up being great the floor is $50 million AAV in the spring of 2024. I hope everyone understands that.
If Mac's desire is to maximize his income, he won't get what he's looking for here. Now, the Pats can exercise his option year (a virtual certainty barring injury), and maybe even add in a franchise year, so we would get up to 6 years of the guy.... but I don't see them giving him one of those $250 million+ contracts (which will probably be $300 million come 2025/2026)

Grossly over paid, but that's where the QB market is now. Burrow/Herbert should be licking their chops

I was with my cousin when I saw the news of this extension, told him, and he responds with: "I don't know if he's the answer, but they're not going to get anyone better."

That's my problem. I don't care what the market is, $46 million per year should buy you a hell of a lot more than "not going to get anyone better."

Grossly over paid, but that's where the QB market is now. Burrow/Herbert should be licking their chops
I still can't believe Cincinnati was in the SB last year. Both those teams got no choice. Especially Cincinnati. Joe Brady isn't walking through those doors again.
I was with my cousin when I saw the news of this extension, told him, and he responds with: "I don't know if he's the answer, but they're not going to get anyone better."

That's my problem. I don't care what the market is, $46 million per year should buy you a hell of a lot more than "not going to get anyone better."
It's unbelievable but I try to look at from the other side. Sure Murray has been middle of the pack among NFL QB's but what's the dropp off after him?

This deal is as much about Kliff than it is Kyler imo. Essentially keeping your best together. Maybe you land another Hopkins trade and get another elite playmaker for cheap?

Definitely cause for concern though between his #'s, attitude and second half performance(s).

Is he worth the money based off of his resume compared to other QB’s? Hell no. But that’s not what the Cardinals are paying him for.

Cardinals are paying Murray for the ROI they receive for winning enough games to stay relevant, producing more sports center highlights which results in more prime time games, putting azzes in the seats and selling merchandise. It’s that simple.

Ravens are just playing games and will eventually have to pay Lamar Jackson.
That’s not true. Vast majority of NFL teams already sell 95%+ of their total ticket capacity whether or whether not they have a star quarterback, including the Cardinals. In addition, merchandise sales are pooled amongst the 32 NFL times; Cardinals share the profits from those Murray jerseys 32-ways.

No GM is going to stake their job (a job that most only get a couple years and a single-shot at) on doling out huge contracts to sell jerseys lol; they’re signing him because they think they could possibly win a championship with him.

Last edited:
More power to Murray for getting paid.
But the GM is a fool.
Mac will be a better qb than Murray.
Book it. Possibly/probably this year.

Aww, such a bad problem to have.

Maybe instead we can end up in a Harry-like situation where we have to give away a first rounder for a seventh, wouldn't that be great?

Or, maybe we can end up hating our first round QB so bad we are willing to give a record contract to a sexual predator along with tossing in a few future first rounders then pay a big chunk of his salary for him to play on another team.

What is the worst case of him playing so good that he feels justified in asking for $50M/year in 2024?

If we feel he is worth it to us, we pay him that money, knowing that the cap goes up and the next good QB will ask for even more so it makes sense to lock him in.

If he's not worth it to us, we trade him to some QB-needy team that's talked themselves into paying too much for a QB and will give us some draft capital as well, and pick up a new college QB.

Bring it on!

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Back