PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Hurricane Dorian - (UPDATED: Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll bet Venecol and his partner have a real nice house.

Thanks for the well wishes Deb, but I'm in Kansas.
Yes in the Methwest, we know, Toto.

And thanks for one of the most troubling and insensitive posts I've seen over the last 20 years on this site. You should be ASHAMED

Gallows humor, it's not for everyone.
I shamefully admit I reacted to it with a rueful chuckle.

Gallows humor, it's not for everyone.
I shamefully admit I reacted to it with a rueful chuckle.
I don't think a Bahamian or anyone else with an ounce of compassion would find humor in it.

Not everyone gets to leave an island in front of a storm.

I don't think a Bahamian or anyone else with an ounce of compassion would find humor in it.

Not everyone gets to leave an island in front of a storm.

And here I thought with my shameful admission I had chastised myself enough.

And here I thought with my shameful admission I had chastised myself enough.
That wasn't for you. It was for the thoughtless idiot who made the original post. Hopefully he'll learn from his mistake.

That wasn't for you. It was for the thoughtless idiot who made the original post. Hopefully he'll learn from his mistake.
Yeah... well, I haven’t. So where do we go from here?

Idiocy often abounds in times of stress... unfortunately.. gallows humor or just an internet dullard???..

I hope, for your sake, you are just virtue signaling and are not actually upset by a joke on an Internet forum.

Idiocy often abounds in times of stress... unfortunately.. gallows humor or just an internet dullard???..
Kontra doesn’t appear to be the one stressed.

Regarding gallows humor, can you provide a link to the “Too Soon” rule book so we know the proper amount of time to withhold “idiocy” so as not to offend Generation Triggered or their grand parents.

One of the true signs of idiocy is piss poor sentence structure.

I hope, for your sake, you are just virtue signaling and are not actually upset by a joke on an Internet forum.
I don’t think people like Ken know why they do what they do either. I mean, it’s obvious quite a few of the older folks around here don’t get humor as a coping mechanism, but to go above and beyond general concern for someone you’ve never met before and to really make an effort to show that your heart is bleeding for them is pretty ridiculous. If you were to dig deep enough into the psychology of it, you’d probably find that this is coming from a belief in karma. That if you outwardly show levels of concern above and beyond the normal for those people, good things will happen for you should you ever be presented with such a situation in your life. Hyper empathy. For example, I made this post a few pages ago and nobody batted an eye...

It reminds me of Andrew in a way. Small but powerful. I’ve never seen a hurricane with an absolutely perfect circle of an eye. I’m getting married in January and we had planned a honeymoon in the Bahamas. I think we need to change our plans. Poor people.

...because it contained a normal level of empathy. You inject some humor (gallows humor, as it’s been called) into it, though, and now you have every holier-than-thou old guy who drives a Toyota Yaris and got his sense of humor stripped from him a long time ago coming down on you. It’s actually quite humorous to watch. It’s okay, Ken. I still love ya. But maybe you should learn that people are allowed to use humor in times like this. If you feel differently, feel free to put me on ignore or whatever.

Kontras joke was hilarious. Everything should be joked about in my opinion. And without the freedom to offend you don’t have the freedom of speech

I don’t think people like Ken know why they do what they do either. I mean, it’s obvious quite a few of the older folks around here don’t get humor as a coping mechanism, but to go above and beyond general concern for someone you’ve never met before and to really make an effort to show that your heart is bleeding for them is pretty ridiculous. If you were to dig deep enough into the psychology of it, you’d probably find that this is coming from a belief in karma. That if you outwardly show levels of concern above and beyond the normal for those people, good things will happen for you should you ever be presented with such a situation in your life. Hyper empathy. For example, I made this post a few pages ago and nobody batted an eye...

...because it contained a normal level of empathy. You inject some humor (gallows humor, as it’s been called) into it, though, and now you have every holier-than-thou old guy who drives a Toyota Yaris and got his sense of humor stripped from him a long time ago coming down on you. It’s actually quite humorous to watch. It’s okay, Ken. I still love ya. But maybe you should learn that people are allowed to use humor in times like this. If you feel differently, feel free to put me on ignore or whatever.
I find it beyond peculiar that people use an anonymous football message board to project their humanity.
Case in point:
“RIP Doris Day..... thoughts and prayers to your family”
Signed
PatriotsFanBoy69

Wouldn’t sending a card to the family offer more direct comfort than an electronic ping.............on a Patriots message board?
Was Doris a Pats fan?

Then again, here I am projecting my contempt

Then again, here I am projecting my contempt

You might just as well project some, you certainly draw enough of it. There's only just so much of it you want layin' around. :rolleyes:

You might just as well project some, you certainly draw enough of it. There's only just so much of it you want layin' around. :rolleyes:
Trigger activated

I think the joke would've been better received if you lived in the Bahamas and were experiencing the storm yourself. Gallows humor tends to work better when it's self-deprecating and making light of a situation that the person making the joke themself is actually experiencing.

Maybe Ken's experienced a severe natural disaster prior and therefore seeing a joke made about the situation as its occurring strikes close to home. Who knows, but I'm not going to assume he's a lousy person for taking offense to the joke, much like I'm not going to assume Kontra's a lousy person for making the joke.

Everyone brings their own experiences to the table and those experiences inform how we perceive the world and feel about things, including certain jokes. It's just a matter of what we find amusing and what we find offensive/upsetting, and that's a uniquely personal experience. Hell, even our mood at the time we read/hear a joke has a significant impact on how it's received.

For instance, a 9/11 joke is going to resonate a lot differently in, say, Russia, than it would in Manhattan.

Someone makes light of a car accident and it's going to cut me deep; I lost my childhood friend 2 years ago when he died in a car accident. You poke fun at someone blowing their house up while cooking and I'll laugh.

Just depends. I try to make an effort (within reason) to understand and appreciate both sides of the coin.

Most thoughtful people know all this stuff already but just wanted to toss in my two cents.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back