PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Gronk's first acting job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of good roles that could fall in his range if he can actually get better. And even if he doesn't improve there is still plenty of roles where they can work around his acting skills. He's not turning into Daniel Day Lewis but he's also got a lot of work if he wants to try to be the next Rock. But he doesn't have to be the Rock to get decent work too.

The only thing I've seen him "act" in are Tide Pod commercials. If that's any indication, he has a very very long way to go to be even a tolerable actor.

The Rock learned to be an actor; he's actually gotten reasonably good at it.

The Rock came from professional wrestling, where he was acting all the time. It's not a great comparison. Fred Dryer or Bubba Smith might be better ones.

I fear that Alex Karras as Mongo is Gronk's ceiling as an actor.
Except Mongo wasn't Karras' ceiling. He had plenty more work including his biggest role in Webster.

For his sake, and ours, I hope you are right. The Rock learned to be an actor; he's actually gotten reasonably good at it. If Gronk can get that good, then yeah, he's off to the races. I hope he does, because seeing him do crappy acting in cameo spots over and over is going to get cringe worthy for us Pats fan who like to think of him differently.
The Rock parlayed a silly crooked eyebrow into an empire thru the WWF, over a period of years. Gronk's not going to become a movie star over night, but I believe 10-15 years from now, he will be a popcorn movie action hero. The kid is 29 years old. He's got all the time in the world.

Looks like he took off @30 pounds - and (BOOM!) goes the he may come back theory .
(my speculation)

AAAMF6l.img
He looks practically skinny! So, how can Gronk be "The Gronk" even as an actor without that imposing physique?

Except Mongo wasn't Karras' ceiling. He had plenty more work including his biggest role in Webster.

Is the world ready for a Webster remake starring Gronk?

A Star is born.

Tell me something, Gronk
Aren't you tired tryin' to act?
Because you really suck
Ain't it easier to hit defenders like a truck?

I'm falling
In the good times of Gronk playing again
Longin' for touchdowns
And in the bad times I fear Hoo-man comes back.

Better than anything De Niro has done in the last 10 years...

Plenty of good roles that could fall in his range if he can actually get better. And even if he doesn't improve there is still plenty of roles where they can work around his acting skills. He's not turning into Daniel Day Lewis but he's also got a lot of work if he wants to try to be the next Rock. But he doesn't have to be the Rock to get decent work too.

Sure, if those roles are ones where he gets to be his goofy self. No one is going to take seriously otherwise. Look at Gary Coleman. He was great as a child actor but no one really saw past him as being Arnold Jackson, the loveable 8 year old. He sucked as an adult actor. Likewise, Gronk is seared into our minds as Gronk, the guy who dented the super bowl trophy.

Last edited:
Pacino too...
There was one role he did fairly recently that he was good at. I think it was the one he portrayed Jack Kevorkian. He also played an AIDS patient. I forget the name...

Other than that- agree. He and Bobby DeNiro are mailing it in.

I just watched the introduction he did with Terry Crews. It was very.... Bros-ish. He has a lot of work to do if he wants to be the next Ogre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News