PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Forget QBR, how about "PasserRating+"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Too bad the NFL doesn't track something like "PasserRating+" - in the same spirit of baseball's ERA+ and OPS+- where your rating is benchmarked with your peers in your era.

For those who don't know - ERA+ measures a pitcher's ERA against your peers instead of the actual number itself. 100 means you had an average passer rating compared to your peers that year. Anything above and below that is above and below average respectively. The same logic would apply here for PasserRating+.

Unlike passer rating, yards, TD, etc.. PasserRating+ CAN be compared across eras because it compares how good a passer you were in your era among your peers vs another guy in his era with his peers.

So just for fun and because I have too much free time :D I calculated a few of them. The average of 100 was benchmarked using qualified passers.

Tom Brady's PasserRating+ for the 2015 season is 119.
Tom Brady in 2007: 140
Peyton Manning in 2015: 79
Peyton Manning in 2004: 143
Ryan Leaf in 1998: 50
Drew Bledsoe in 1997: 111
Hugh Millen in 1991: 93
Joe Montana in 1987: 130
Tony Eason in 1986: 115
Dan Marino in 1984: 138

Maybe I'll post a few more if I have more time.

Last edited:
Peyton Manning 2013: 132
Steve Young 1994: 145
Drew Bledsoe 1995: 78
Drew Bledsoe 1994: 95
Peyton Manning 1998: 92
Tom Brady 2001: 109

Last edited:
Actually pro-football-reference.com has something just like this in their advanced passing stats with Y/A+, NY/A+, AY/A+, ANY/A+, Cmp%+, TD%+, INT%+, Sack%+ and Rate+. Their calculation method is given as:

"
First, for each stat for each year for each league, we computed two things:

1. the league average for that stat in that league during the three-year period with the given year in the middle. For example, the "league average" for the 1963 AFL would be the aggregate average of the stats accumulated in the AFL from 1962 to 1964. (NOTE: the 1960 AFL and the 1969 AFL, as well as the current season, will be based on only two years worth of data rather than three.)

2. the standard deviation of the stat for all individuals who had 14 or more pass attempts per scheduled game during the three-year period.
Next, we computed how many standard deviations away from the league average each player was in each of his seasons. We multiply that number by 15 and add it to 100, and that is the number you see."

For his career Brady is at 117, Manning at 118, Rodgers at 124, Montana at 123, Steve Young at 126, Dan Marino at 113.

Actually pro-football-reference.com has something just like this in their advanced passing stats with Y/A+, NY/A+, AY/A+, ANY/A+, Cmp%+, TD%+, INT%+, Sack%+ and Rate+. Their calculation method is given as:

"
First, for each stat for each year for each league, we computed two things:

1. the league average for that stat in that league during the three-year period with the given year in the middle. For example, the "league average" for the 1963 AFL would be the aggregate average of the stats accumulated in the AFL from 1962 to 1964. (NOTE: the 1960 AFL and the 1969 AFL, as well as the current season, will be based on only two years worth of data rather than three.)

2. the standard deviation of the stat for all individuals who had 14 or more pass attempts per scheduled game during the three-year period.
Next, we computed how many standard deviations away from the league average each player was in each of his seasons. We multiply that number by 15 and add it to 100, and that is the number you see."

For his career Brady is at 117, Manning at 118, Rodgers at 124, Montana at 123, Steve Young at 126, Dan Marino at 113.

Cool. I didn't see they did that already. Thanks!

I know MLB had it and it didn't seem that difficult to calculate with NFL stats (and it wasn't).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST