PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Euro 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

BritPat

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Hey guys, for you soccer fans the opening game is about to get underway at the Stade de France with France hosting Romania.

I remember plenty of interest in the World Cup the other year, hopefully you guys will be watching this tournament as well.

Incredible reflex save from Lloris to deny Stancu and Romania. France shaky at the back so far.

Pretty easy chance for Giroud and he puts his header wide.

Germany and France are the favorites to win it...but Portugal as the potential to go far if not win it all.

For the first time in a couple of years, its just not Ronaldo +10. Portugal has alot of up incoming players, especially in MF.

Pogba just beginning to stamp his authority on the game. The kid is a beast.

Germany and France are the favorites to win it...but Portugal as the potential to go far if not win it all.

For the first time in a couple of years, its just not Ronaldo +10. Portugal has alot of up incoming players, especially in MF.

Agreed, although they've had a tremendous supporting cast in years gone by and failed.

Griezmann hits the post.

Looking forwards to watching Belgium.

Euro and Copa América it's a beautiful month to be a soccer fan.

The ref has been terrible so far.

Just filled out my Euro pool. Got England to win. They gotta do it one of these years, right?

Don't really care about soccer one way or another. But I will watch the game tomorrow at the local Irish pub because it's simply an excuse for me to day drink.

Just filled out my Euro pool. Got England to win. They gotta do it one of these years, right?

Going to be difficult with Roy Hodgson in charge. Not that they had the greatest talent of the qualifying teams in the tourney anyways.

I love soccer. I'm going to check on the, local package for this tourney and I might get it if it isn't ridiculous.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

And I say that as the proudest Englishman you'll ever meet.

There's plenty of youth and talent, raw talent, but not much guile, not much leadership and the middle of the defence is a disaster waiting to happen.

The biggest problem is the Rooney conundrum. England's best chance is getting their best players on the pitch, as daft as it sounds, and Rooney isn't one of them. He hasn't been for some time either. Unfortunately Hodgson views him as undroppable so he's tried everything to shoe-horn him into the lineup alongside Kane (who is England's best forward and MUST play) and Vardy, who is coming off an incredible season and is the man in form.

Either 4-4-2 of 4-2-3-1 is the way to go for England - Kane and Vardy up front if the first formation; Alli playing as the number 10 behind Kane if the latter. Even if you were planning on playing 4-3-3, then you would find a place for Sturridge ahead of Rooney.

But then not to ignore the defence. Rose is the man in posession at left back and is in great form. I'm a Liverpool fan so I'm always going to say Clyne should be the right back, but even so he's a much better defender than Walker both in terms of position and discipline. The problem is between the fullbacks - Cahill is an automatic pick yet has been struggling at this level for some time. Even worse it looks like a straight fight between John Stones, who should be sat at home watching the tournament and learning how to defend, and Chris Smalling. To be fair to Smalling, he was one of the few United players who was consistent this year and could walk away from the tournament as the main man, but in all honesty it's difficult to look at this crop of centre backs and not yearn for the days of Terry, Ferdinand, Carragher, Campbell etc.

When England go out, it will be down to the same old problems, stuborness, naivety and England's best players not playing well enough.

I been watching copa america. Don't have a favorite but the mexicans have looked good.

I was disappointed when the Dutch side didn't qualify. I don't really have the time to follow Euro international teams in the run ups to these tournaments (so it's hard for me to say who I think is good going in) but I love the big stage tournaments. Seeing the game played at the highest level, international rivalries, players representing their country. It's a great thing. This and Copa America running at the same time. I watch as much as I can.

I was disappointed when the Dutch side didn't qualify. I don't really have the time to follow Euro international teams in the run ups to these tournaments (so it's hard for me to say who I think is good going in) but I love the big stage tournaments. Seeing the game played at the highest level, international rivalries, players representing their country. It's a great thing. This and Copa America running at the same time. I watch as much as I can.

England and Wales have been drawn in the same group so that game (next week?) should be a corker.

Bale against anyone gives me nightmares.

England and Wales have been drawn in the same group so that game (next week?) should be a corker.

Bale against anyone gives me nightmares.

Definitely will be a great one to watch.

Obviously Portugal will be the favorites to finish first in Group F, but what do you think of Iceland's chances to survive their group? They're also in there with Austria and Hungary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes