PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT-ESPN's First Take Discuss Top 10 All Time QB's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATS16N0

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
The audio is here
First Take - ESPN

TL;CL (can't listen):
Skip's list:
1. Montana
2. Brady
3. Roger Staubach
4. John Elway
5. Bret Favre
6. Peyton Manning

Steven A's list:
1. Montana
2. Brady
3. Elway
4. Peyton Manning
5. Dan Marino.

I realize this conversation has been done to death, but it's a good listen.
It's nice to see Steven A. Smith do such a turn around on Tom Brady lately. I've watched First Take for awhile now and up until this season (the Saints comeback to be precise), the New Yorker in him made him sort of a delusional hater (I do like the guy though).

I honestly don't know why Skip gets so much hate. Unless he has some ridiculous statements in his past that I haven't heard, I think he has some of the best analysis at ESPN.

Anywho, if you want to hear a pretty big football conversation while you do whatever, this is one worth hearing.

Need that fourth ring for Tom Terrific :)

What was their cutoff year?

I watched this on TV and let me tell you Stephen A S%%t was googling away for QBs and their stats as Skip was reading out his list. Smith wasn't prepared and just read out whatever came to his mind or whatever google had thrown at him. The man had A Rod as a top 10 all time QB :eek: . Need i say more?

Also if you put a gun to their head and ask them to recollect this list they will spit out a completely different list/ranking. One day Brady is #1 , some other day its Montana, They even had Eli among the top 5 a few years back. PRISONERS OF THE MOMENT

There's already a Skip Bayless thread on this forum from just a few weeks ago where a number of posters, myself included, give any number of reasons why Skip Bayless is a hated person.

If the ENTIRE basis for whether or not you like/respect someone is whether or not they are a Pats fan, then sure, Skip is fine. If you value anything like character, diligence, researching topics, and not being a complete shockjock troll who tries to rile people up for ratings, then he is a borderline despicable person who sucks at his job.

It's fine that he likes Tom Brady. But whether or not you agree with one of his takes should not be the end all be all evaluation of this tool. Do a modicum of research and it's easy to see why Skip Bayless is so reviled.

It is beyond strange to me that many on this board base their entire evaluation of whether or not people are good at their job on whether or not they like the Patriots. Bill Barnwell is hated by many on this site because he is a Giants fan, despite the fact that he is a very good football writer. People are not idiots solely if they pick the Pats to lose, and they're not geniuses solely if they pick the Pats to win. Maybe that's just me.

Also 1st and 10 is, in my opinion, the absolute bottom of the barrel show in sports television. Two absolute trolls shouting at each other and they just so happen to never agree. Hmm, I wonder if that's because it's more compelling TV? I never watch, ever.

lebrick.jpg

There's already a Skip Bayless thread on this forum from just a few weeks ago where a number of posters, myself included, give any number of reasons why Skip Bayless is a hated person.

If the ENTIRE basis for whether or not you like/respect someone is whether or not they are a Pats fan, then sure, Skip is fine. If you value anything like character, diligence, researching topics, and not being a complete shockjock troll who tries to rile people up for ratings, then he is a borderline despicable person who sucks at his job.

It's fine that he likes Tom Brady. But whether or not you agree with one of his takes should not be the end all be all evaluation of this tool. Do a modicum of research and it's easy to see why Skip Bayless is so reviled.

It is beyond strange to me that many on this board base their entire evaluation of whether or not people are good at their job on whether or not they like the Patriots. Bill Barnwell is hated by many on this site because he is a Giants fan, despite the fact that he is a very good football writer. People are not idiots solely if they pick the Pats to lose, and they're not geniuses solely if they pick the Pats to win. Maybe that's just me.

Also 1st and 10 is, in my opinion, the absolute bottom of the barrel show in sports television. Two absolute trolls shouting at each other and they just so happen to never agree. Hmm, I wonder if that's because it's more compelling TV? I never watch, ever.
I think you make some good points. Just speaking for myself, the media members I dislike and ridicule are those who have an agenda, consistently criticize the Pats and only grudgingly acknowledge their accomplishments. Bayless acts like a fool most of the time and I suspect his praise of Brady and the Pats is staged. If someone I consider fairminded, Reiss, Price, Curran, criticize the Pats, I'm inclined to consider that criticism legitimate.

Any list that would rank Favre over Manning should be dismissed immediately. Manning is probably in the top 5 best of all time. Favre isn't in the top 10.

Where are the Hasselbacks?

I put Dan Marino ahead of both Favre and Manning. He was better than both of them.

Stephen A's list is good with the exception of Elway. Before his final two years, Elway couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. He used to drive his throws into the turf. One of the worst QBs ever when it came to accuracy.

Any list that would rank Favre over Manning should be dismissed immediately. Manning is probably in the top 5 best of all time. Favre isn't in the top 10.

This is freaking asinine. Favre played in nfc at it's toughest and played in the coldest stadium. The beating favre took has to give him an advantage.

Anyone who says Favre isn't Top 10 and borderline Top 5 is insane. What he did at age 40 was incredible. Favre was an amazing QB and very fun to watch.

That's a comedy show, you guys take them too serious.

It's real funny after a Cowboys choke, I mean almost every monday.

That's a comedy show, you guys take them too serious.

It's real funny after a Cowboys choke, I mean almost every monday.

It shows you, however, how bad the other shows full of serious "analysts" are when Skip and Stephen A. are more on top of things than they are. These two are fans and good analysts and they get it. Stephen A. is a big NY fan. Skip is decent at putting things into context. They may be lame (I agree Skip deserves the hate) but then how come they get it more than the vast majority of other "serious" analysts?

I feel the same way about Collingsworth. Hate on him if you want, but no one talks about the game of football better than he does.

Favre took his Packers to multiple Super Bowls.
Manning took his Colts to multiple Super Bowls.

Favre took the Vikings to the NFCCG, and would probably have taken them to the SB if he hadn't gotten his ankle messed up in that game
Manning's gotten the Broncos to the AFCCG, and is trying to take the Broncos to the SB

Favre took a 3rd team to 8-3 before getting injured.

Favre played in a division that was tougher overall than the division Manning spent most of his career in and played in much tougher home environs.

Both players took their systems with them so that they didn't have to learn a new one, so there's no edge there.

The idea that ranking Favre above Manning is to be dismissed immediately is... to be dismissed immediately.

"Oh but it's scripted! Skip Bayless is a moron!"

Shut the hell up. It's not scripted.

"Oh but it's scripted! Skip Bayless is a moron!"

Shut the hell up. It's not scripted.

It's not scripted because nobody could take the time to write that nonsense down.

First Take is about as real and unscripted as the Jerry Springer Show and pro wrestling, and in my opinion about as meaningful as well.

The idea that ranking Favre above Manning is to be dismissed immediately is... to be dismissed immediately.

I shall clarify. Opinions ranking Favre over Manning should be immediately dismissed by knowledgeable football fans.

Favre has thrown 60 more INTs than any other QB in NFL history. Manning is one of the 5 best QBs of all time. If you honestly believe Favre is one of the 10 best of all time, there is no possibility of having an intelligent conversation about QBs with you.

This is freaking asinine. Favre played in nfc at it's toughest and played in the coldest stadium. The beating favre took has to give him an advantage.

Thanks. Disagreement by you strengthens any argument about football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes