PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Eid Mubarak!

Blessings to you as well!

Now, perhaps you can explain something to me which I wonder about. What would a Norwegian do during a summer Ramadan, or a Muslim in Antarctica during a Ramadan in what is the summer there?

The point of my question is that fasting during long summer days is burdensome under any circumstances -- but there are places in the world where the day lasts 24 hours. So clearly you are not expected to fast all day under those circumstances.

Does the Haddith or some other extra-Koran source speak of such practicalities in a similar way that the Torah does for the Jews? Or does the Koran already have it covered?

The local council will decide to abide by Mecca time I think. I've never been in that situation though.

After a whole month of fasting in Ramadan, a celebration of the month of Shawwal is underway. Eid Mubarak to all of Pats nation and mankind. May we be granted enlightenment and may we appreciate the endless bounties we receive from our Creator and Sustainer.

Thanks buddy. This was a tough one, but well worth it.

So, wait ... Eid Mubarak isn't an offensive lineman?

:eek:

Eid Mubarak to all of Pats nation and mankind. May we be granted enlightenment and may we appreciate the endless bounties we receive from our Creator and Sustainer.

Best to you, too, Nabwong.

I offer a slight edit to your well wishes:

May we be granted enlightenment and may we appreciate an endless bounty of above average receivers from our Creator and Sustainer.

Ed Mabarak was the principal of the Middle School I taught at in Dorchester. He was a great principal merely because as far a he was concerned, as long as the first floor was rquiet, he left us alone to do our thing.

I will defend the right of anyone to practice their religion, but the fact is that my study of history leaves me VERY suspicious of EVERY organized religion. The Torah, New Testament, and Koran, may all be inspired by God, but unfortunately they are interpreted by Man. And man has given us the Inquisition, Al Quida, etc, all "inspired" by an interpretation of a "holy book".

I was raised as a Jew, but am now a practicing agnostic, who is greatly troubled by any "so call religion" who claims to have the ONLY truth, light and the way. Even as an agnostic, I have always followed Yom Kippor to the letter, because it makes sense to have a day of atonement at least once a year in your calendar. It probably would be a better idea if there was a Yom Kippor every month.

However, I draw the line when anyone claims exclusivity of "right way" to pray. By definition it means everyone else is WRONG and thus not as human as "we" are. And if they aren't as human as "we" are, they have to be either converted, or subjugated. Historically THAT is the real legacy of organized religions.

A man's spirituality should really be between him/her and his God. However like in most of rest of life, its the middle man who is screwing it up. Ramadan is a great concept. Something I might take part in next year. ;)

The local council will decide to abide by Mecca time I think. I've never been in that situation though.

It seems that there isn't a clearly agreed answer:

Arctic Muslims risk health during Ramadan - The Local

(Note. The Islamic calendar, like the Jewish one, is lunar, so the months don't correspond to the solar year. But the Hebrew calendar has an elaborate system of leap years (extra months) so that lunar and solar months don't get wildly out of joint. If I've got it right, the purely lunar calendar means that Ramadan will cycle through the solar year. So when Ramadan falls in the winter above the Arctic Circle, there might not be any daylight in which to fast.)

Ed Mabarak was the principal of the Middle School I taught at in Dorchester. He was a great principal merely because as far a he was concerned, as long as the first floor was rquiet, he left us alone to do our thing.

I will defend the right of anyone to practice their religion, but the fact is that my study of history leaves me VERY suspicious of EVERY organized religion. The Torah, New Testament, and Koran, may all be inspired by God, but unfortunately they are interpreted by Man. And man has given us the Inquisition, Al Quida, etc, all "inspired" by an interpretation of a "holy book".

I was raised as a Jew, but am now a practicing agnostic, who is greatly troubled by any "so call religion" who claims to have the ONLY truth, light and the way. Even as an agnostic, I have always followed Yom Kippor to the letter, because it makes sense to have a day of atonement at least once a year in your calendar. It probably would be a better idea if there was a Yom Kippor every month.

However, I draw the line when anyone claims exclusivity of "right way" to pray. By definition it means everyone else is WRONG and thus not as human as "we" are. And if they aren't as human as "we" are, they have to be either converted, or subjugated. Historically THAT is the real legacy of organized religions.

A man's spirituality should really be between him/her and his God. However like in most of rest of life, its the middle man who is screwing it up. Ramadan is a great concept. Something I might take part in next year. ;)

Fortunately if you study Moses, Jesus, Mohammad and other prophets, they strived for a multi faith, multi race society. Don't let the loudest people affect the rest of us. :)

By the way, no one can say theirs is the right way. Not Muslims, not Christians. Not anyone. Cos no one knows but God.

Eid Mubarak to you and yours!

OT: Being my usual ignorant self, my first thought going into the thread was what the link between the former president of Egypt and the Pats could be. Colour me super confused. :eek:

It seems that there isn't a clearly agreed answer:

Arctic Muslims risk health during Ramadan - The Local

(Note. The Islamic calendar, like the Jewish one, is lunar, so the months don't correspond to the solar year. But the Hebrew calendar has an elaborate system of leap years (extra months) so that lunar and solar months don't get wildly out of joint. If I've got it right, the purely lunar calendar means that Ramadan will cycle through the solar year. So when Ramadan falls in the winter above the Arctic Circle, there might not be any daylight in which to fast.)

Mike. Unfortunately some people have missed the point of Ramadan. That's all I can say about those people. But to each his own.

Fortunately if you study Moses, Jesus, Mohammad and other prophets, they strived for a multi faith, multi race society. Don't let the loudest people affect the rest of us. :)

By the way, no one can say theirs is the right way. Not Muslims, not Christians. Not anyone. Cos no one knows but God.

I'm pretty sure that I know the right way: Be the best person you can be despite the fact that god does not exist.

But I respect your opinion and you clearly have a great attitude about religion based on your posts in this thread.

Isn't it interesting that EID almost sound like EAT ? I don't know how you wonderful people fast for a whole month, though not being religious myself, I respect everyone's religions so much. I've read the bible, the torah, and part of the koran. And my feelings are that they are wonderful guidelines for all who follow them.

You are aware that The Torah and The Old Testament of The Bible are the same thing right?

This thread is really a religious propaganda thread. I am sure you started
it because of something you deeply believe in and want to share with PATS fans.
I'd like to talk about the "Death of Privacy" but I just can not
slap an "OT" in the subject line and fire away. This thread should have
been moved immediately. Modrators you let us down

But nabwong, in your attempt get your religion acceptable by others you said
"Jesus, ........ strived for a multi faith.....

But here is something for you to contemplate about what Jesus said:

Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, how do we know the way?" 6Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. 7"If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him.

This thread is really a religious propaganda thread. I am sure you started
it because of something you deeply believe in and want to share with PATS fans.
I'd like to talk about the "Death of Privacy" but I just can not
slap an "OT" in the subject line and fire away. This thread should have
been moved immediately. Modrators you let us down

But nabwong, in your attempt get your religion acceptable by others you said
"Jesus, ........ strived for a multi faith.....

But here is something for you to contemplate about what Jesus said:

Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, how do we know the way?" 6Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. 7"If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him.

I said society, not heaven, aka on earth. :)

And I started this because I wanted people to share in my celebration, like Christmas, like Father's Day. I hope people spend more time celebrating than fighting.

I said society, not heaven, aka on earth. :)

And I started this because I wanted people to share in my celebration, like Christmas, like Father's Day. I hope people spend more time celebrating than fighting.

you used the word "faith" which is not society
one definition of faith:
"belief
in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion"

I would not assume all PATS fans would gladly celebrate Christmas with
respect to its religious context.

In before the thread lock.
Sad

you used the word "faith" which is not society
one definition of faith:
"belief
in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion"

I would not assume all PATS fans would gladly celebrate Christmas with
respect to its religious context.

My wife is Christian and my grandaunt is a Catholic nun. Half my family is Christian. And we celebrate Christmas just fine. We celebrate the message that Jesus brought to us, that thru God is salvation. Jesus is mentioned more times in the Qur'an than Mohammad. Jesus is quite an important person in my life too.

Back to the celebrations!

In before the thread lock.
Sad

5f8d5da0ba501bf54fa7.gif

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back