PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Drama With the Giants

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
It looks like Daboll apparently had coaches go rogue on him this season which led to him firing two coordinators. Now his defensive coordinator may be next out the door:

How strange. Daboll is supposed to be very well respected.

Kind of sounds like it mirrors the BB and BoB relationship on the offensive of the ball here... though the extent of BoBs authority may have been established when he was hired... so similar but not the same?

If its true, then Daboll had every right to clear out those he felt were responsible.

and, imo, not enough bad things can happen to that title stealing franchise

Losing begets drama, especially in a market like New York. Teams there don't typically have a lot of patience for a season that took a step backwards. That pressure trickles down to everyone who is now worried for their jobs, and people stop working together and start doing what they feel is in their own best interest.

In the 2020s, fans/media/people in general have lost the art of patience. We* declare things. Daboll was such a MASSiVE loss, look at what he’s done for Jones….. Herbert is the king, if only we had him as our QB….. oh no ! BB hasn’t won a SB in five years…..

Reactions to feed TV / social media are out of control.

Same thing happened with Judge (not the Judge is a great coach).

This is more of a disconnect between the GM/Owners and the coaches in New York. It shows what can happen with too much meddling.

Judge had a merry go round of coordinator with the Giants and it appears the practice has continued.

DaBoll better watch out. You don't want to mess with this guy.

208580734_350487039776221_1624297848304311757_n.jpg

Daboll feels like another McAdoo for them.

Great first year, but suddenly implodes in his second year. Seems a little too high tempered for the position.

Losing begets drama, especially in a market like New York. Teams there don't typically have a lot of patience for a season that took a step backwards. That pressure trickles down to everyone who is now worried for their jobs, and people stop working together and start doing what they feel is in their own best interest.
Yup, same here in Foxborough.

Yup, same here in Foxborough.

Yup. I don't believe for one second that players have just suddenly started having a problem with some of Bill Belichick's decisions. I'm sure some of them ALWAYS have. It's just that if you're winning, those choices are easier to sell. Saying, "We should have kept player X or played him at position Y" looks silly if the team is 14-2, but not as much when you're 4-13.

Martindale and Daboll both seem like hotheads so I am not too surprised. The shine does seem to be off Daboll this year after that bad contract for Daniel Jones and them finishing with 6 wins and looking pretty bad overall. I like Daboll and think he's a good coach but he needs to be careful to be labeled difficult to work with.

In the 2020s, fans/media/people in general have lost the art of patience. We* declare things. Daboll was such a MASSiVE loss, look at what he’s done for Jones….. Herbert is the king, if only we had him as our QB….. oh no ! BB hasn’t won a SB in five years…..

Reactions to feed TV / social media are out of control.

This erosion is well documented as being across all of society, in research on the impact of social media, and the harnessing of it for commercial and political agendas. We are literally losing IQ points (although there's a lot of good research on that being at least in part linked to chemical poisoning.)

Sports in general, and football in specific, are just caught up in that wave. Plus, the tribalism of sports tends to heighten it.

But on the topic of the Giants, why in the world would a head coach fire defensive assistants that work directly for the DC? That's nuts. Sports organizations are so weird.

It looks like Daboll apparently had coaches go rogue on him this season which led to him firing two coordinators. Now his defensive coordinator may be next out the door:

Daboll deserves benefit of the doubt on this. The No. 1 responsibility of any assistant coach is loyalty to the head coach.

A story like this is why BB and others choose nepotism sadly.

That makes no sense, beyond the fact that BB's sons are competent coaches by all accounts.

How strange. Daboll is supposed to be very well respected.
This is the reason your suggestions that Bill be relieved from O staff decisions won't work. The HC should be allowed to pick his staff and have them report to him. If it was up to Bill however, he would've ran it back with Patricia. Kraft had to step in to block that move, probably due to external pressure. Then, the team got worse, despite many here claiming BoB would add 2 to 3 wins to last years record. Now, we learn there was dysfunction amongst the Patriots offensive staff.

To me its clear: if you want Bill back, you need to let him stay as GM/HC or you'll end up with more dysfunction, sabotage, back stabbing, all in pursuit of personal agendas.

My preference is to move on in a different direction:
1. Hire a competent GM,
2. Have GM select the HC,
3. HC selects his staff w/ assistance from GM.

That'll guarantee a clear line of duties and responsibilities, so that everyone is accountable.

To me its clear: if you want Bill back, you need to let him stay as GM/HC or you'll end up with more dysfunction, sabotage, back stabbing, all in pursuit of personal agendas.
Agreed. No matter how it was parsed, he's not giving up full control at this point. Not after 24 years.
My preference is to move on in a different direction:
1. Hire a competent GM,
2. Have GM select the HC,
3. HC selects his staff w/ assistance from GM.

That'll guarantee a clear line of duties and responsibilities, so that everyone is accountable.
This is why I am still on a 70/30 split that he's gone. I think the push for control of the draft/free agency/player personnel will untimately force Krafts hand to let him walk.

In the 2020s, fans/media/people in general have lost the art of patience. We* declare things. Daboll was such a MASSiVE loss, look at what he’s done for Jones…..
Welcome to the modern era where everyone is an expert and has an opinion.

Herbert is the king, if only we had him as our QB…..
I would take him in a nano second.

oh no ! BB hasn’t won a SB in five years…..
SB not required.
How about a division win? No?
How about a WC place? No?
OK, how about just winning seasons? If Tomlin can do it, by God so should the GOAT! No?
WTF, can we at least not be ass and the last place team in the conference?
Lol, we complain too much.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back