PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Didn’t the Rams have to disclose Gurley’s injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teams do NOT have to disclose injuries if the player is not on the injury report.
That's false. It depends on the potential effect of the injury on the player.

The NFL's own rulebook & casebook even gives as an example a QB injuring a finger in a game and then in the subsequent week taking all practice reps and there being no chance of the QB missing the next game. The rulebook says the QB must nevertheless be listed on the injury report each day and should be listed as "Full participation (finger)".

Gronk was a shell of himself midway through the year with an Achilles strain but wasn’t on the injury report for most of the year.

The question is if he was hurt in the postseason and leading up to the SB, and it seems he was, why wasn't he on the injury report? Yes he practiced but I'm sure the rule says if he's hurt he'd have to be listed anyway regardless of his practice status.

Keeping him off the report has massive implications for betting on the game.

Wrong. If a player practices and plays doesn't matter what injury he has, teams don't have to report it. How long have you been a fan? This is pretty basic stuff.
And who gives a **** about betting?
If a player were injured so badly that they would be a liability on the field, it wouldn't make sense for the team to NOT put them in the report and NOT make them inactive for that game. They'd be wasting an active roster spot someone else could fill.
It doesn't give them any advantage. Quite the opposite. Most likely, they and Gurley both thought he'd be able to contribute. Especially in a do or die game like the SB.

That's false. It depends on the potential effect of the injury on the player.

The NFL's own rulebook & casebook even gives as an example a QB injuring a finger in a game and then in the subsequent week taking all practice reps and there being no chance of the QB missing the next game. The rulebook says the QB must nevertheless be listed on the injury report each day and should be listed as "Full participation (finger)".

QM, you and I both know this doesn't happen a lot.
The point is, a team gains no competitive advantage by NOT listing an injury if the players too hurt to be effective. That would just be stupid.
It's solely for the benefit of gambling.
**** them.

Ah, here it is:
Full Participation: means 100 percent of a player’s normal repetitions. In general, this category should be used for players who missed or could not complete the prior game due to injury, but have returned to participate fully in practice the following week. It should also be used for a player who (i) sustained an injury in the prior game that affects his performance, but was able to finish the game, and (ii) participates fully in practice the following week, as in the example on page 2 (injured quarterback).

The "example on page 2":
As one example, assume a club’s quarterback suffers an injury to a finger of his right (throwing) hand during the club’s first game of the season. After treatment, he is able to finish the game despite his injury. Given the injury’s effect upon the player’s performance, and the fact that he is a key player, the injury must be listed on the club’s Practice Report each day of the following week, even if the player takes all the reps in practice, and even if the club is certain that he will play in the club’s next game. In such a case, the player should be listed as “Full Participation (right finger)” in the Practice Report, but would not be listed in the club’s Game Status Report for Week 2 because the player is certain to play in the club’s upcoming game. See Section 2 (Game Status Report) on page 5. The club must continue to list the player on its weekly Practice Reports until the player’s injury no longer affects the player’s performance.

https://operations.nfl.com/media/2683/2017-nfl-injury-report-policy.pdf

One of the more bizarre injury situations, especially with a random great game against dallas sandwiched in the middle of it. unless dallas is just that bad against the run, but their d seemed pretty stout this year.

Ah, here it is:
Full Participation: means 100 percent of a player’s normal repetitions. In general, this category should be used for players who missed or could not complete the prior game due to injury, but have returned to participate fully in practice the following week. It should also be used for a player who (i) sustained an injury in the prior game that affects his performance, but was able to finish the game, and (ii) participates fully in practice the following week, as in the example on page 2 (injured quarterback).

The "example on page 2":
As one example, assume a club’s quarterback suffers an injury to a finger of his right (throwing) hand during the club’s first game of the season. After treatment, he is able to finish the game despite his injury. Given the injury’s effect upon the player’s performance, and the fact that he is a key player, the injury must be listed on the club’s Practice Report each day of the following week, even if the player takes all the reps in practice, and even if the club is certain that he will play in the club’s next game. In such a case, the player should be listed as “Full Participation (right finger)” in the Practice Report, but would not be listed in the club’s Game Status Report for Week 2 because the player is certain to play in the club’s upcoming game. See Section 2 (Game Status Report) on page 5. The club must continue to list the player on its weekly Practice Reports until the player’s injury no longer affects the player’s performance.

We're talking about 2 different things.
You're referring to the "practice" report.
I'm referring to the " game status" report released prior to games,which is what really matters.
You also left out the first sentence , teams "may" have to report, not the "must" report.
And the scenario you cited is based on an injury sustained in-game.
We don't know if that's the case with Gurley.
This whole thread is much Ado about nothing.

Meh. Even if he had an injury, they were still trying to play him and it ended up hurting them, not us. In some respects I think injury reports are stupid. They really are for bettors rather than opponents.

The question is if he was hurt in the postseason and leading up to the SB, and it seems he was, why wasn't he on the injury report? Yes he practiced but I'm sure the rule says if he's hurt he'd have to be listed anyway regardless of his practice status.

That's the exact opposite of what the rule says.

Ah, here it is:

The "example on page 2":

A little quirk here, and this might explain why Gurley (and Brady and Gronkowski later in the regular season) were no longer listed on the report. The examples all discuss injuries occurring during the prior game. It doesn’t speak to injuries that occurred before that prior game.

By the end of the season, all of their injuries were old (sustained in much earlier games) and they were fully participating. So it was no longer required to be disclosed - so long as they were still fully participating. At least that’s how I’m reading it.

A little quirk here, and this might explain why Gurley (and Brady and Gronkowski later in the regular season) were no longer listed on the report. The examples all discuss injuries occurring during the prior game. It doesn’t speak to injuries that occurred before that prior game.

By the end of the season, all of their injuries were old (sustained in much earlier games) and they were fully participating. So it was no longer required to be disclosed - so long as they were still fully participating. At least that’s how I’m reading it.

I think you're missing this sentence: "The club must continue to list the player on its weekly Practice Reports until the player’s injury no longer affects the player’s performance."

So it doesn't matter how old the injury is if it affects the player's performance.

Did C.J. just bust Ram's Org of not disclosing Gurley's injury? hmm

Was It a Patriot?
Nothing To See Here

- goodell * 345 park ave *

Its a big deal when the best RB of the season has a knee injury heading to the SB (or playoffs for that matter) and the team tries to hide that to not tip their opponents. Not that that fooled BB, it didn’t fooled me lol, imagine BB.

But it could have been the Browns instead of the Patriots for the AFC and Hue Jackson would spend two weeks prepping his defense to stop Gurley...nah, not really (the browns in the SB I mean, point still valid though)

Sorry, missed it, merge away.

Eh, countless players always say that everybody is hurt to some degree during most of the season. I'm not sure I even get the point of having the injury list. If it is a feature for gamblers it would seem pretty tertiary to the sport itself.
More of an anti-gambling feature. If teams can keep injuries secret than all employees with inside knowledge of an injury effecting a game are sitting on valuable information. That would create a situation where employees can be tempted to sell injury info to gamblers. Requiring injuries be disclosed makes injury information have no value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back