PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Didn’t the Rams have to disclose Gurley’s injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It probably technically is, but I feel like they let more things slide in the Super Bowl. Not because they WANT teams to hide injuries in the biggest game (that draws huge gambling dollars), but because they don't want the biggest event of their calendar year to be detracted by an injury report scandal, or debate about the discipline levied for it. That said, if there's proof out there that's too obvious to ignore, I'm sure the league would throw a fine at the Rams.

That quote has been taken out of context a lot. Gurley was “more hurt” as of week 16, when he was on the injury report. Anderson isn’t saying anything about Gurley being “more hurt” leading up to the Super Bowl.

There could very well still be an injury report violation, but this quote isn’t saying that.

**** it. Here we go again, Patriots about to lose their first round pick and get fined for more likely than not being generally aware that their opponents possibly failed to disclose an apparent injury to one of their players. Break out the asterisk, kneegate is here...
Every time someone makes this joke an angel loses its wings

The actual quote from Anderson was that Gurley "was more hurt than we thought", which would seem to indicate that the Rams didn't know how bad it was. Maybe Gurley was hiding it from them or the doctor's missed something?

That quote has been taken out of context a lot. Gurley was “more hurt” as of week 16, when he was on the injury report. Anderson isn’t saying anything about Gurley being “more hurt” leading up to the Super Bowl.

There could very well still be an injury report violation, but this quote isn’t saying that.

C.J. Anderson, signed to fill in for Gurley before Week 16, was asked on Undisputed on Tuesday how hurt Gurley really was when Anderson arrived in Los Angeles.

“He was more hurt than what we thought,” Anderson said, via USA Today. “The injury was a little bit more than what everybody in the building thought, including himself.”

"Was" to me could be interpreted both ways - as of week 16 and also leading up to the Super Bowl. CJ probably would never admit it directly or that would definitely be a violation.

Teams do NOT have to disclose injuries if the player is not on the injury report.
He practiced and played. Most players are beat up this time of year.
I don't understand your post.

The question is if he was hurt in the postseason and leading up to the SB, and it seems he was, why wasn't he on the injury report? Yes he practiced but I'm sure the rule says if he's hurt he'd have to be listed anyway regardless of his practice status.

Keeping him off the report has massive implications for betting on the game.

They disciplined BB and he kept Brady on the report 116 times for shoulder soreness. Obviously something was wrong with Gurley. Even if it was leg soreness with a Probable tag. First they drop them into the SB and now they look the other way on a injury report violation. Build a nice big stadium in a big market area and watch Goodell lay out the red carpet for you

Tom Brady's knee from week 11-16 says hello.

Sounds like an MCL sprain thst Gurley didn’t tell anyone about

I agree with Sciz here.

I listened to Anderon's interview on Cowherds show. This quote is being taken out of context and is bad reporting by the media. If anyone gets a chance to hear the full interview on Cowherds show, it's clear Sciz's description above is accurate.

Also in that interview Anderson said (paraphrasing) Gurley was healthy in the playoffs and going into the Super Bowl but he just couldn't get "into a rhythm"

Sounds like an MCL sprain thst Gurley didn’t tell anyone about
When you pay someone 60 million and he is not himself you find out the reason. That way they can treat the injury properly. I would also think Gurley would want the correct treatment to ease his pains and get him back to elite playing level.

Tom Brady's knee from week 11-16 says hello.

Good point but I think the difference here is none of Brady's teammates said Brady was hurt. Brady also played all those games start to finish and it wasn't as obvious from the eye test that he had a wonky knee as it was with Gurley. Also Anderson flat out admitted that Gurley was injured.

I believe Brady WAS hurt on that stupid Philly special play in the Titans game and he never shared that with the team.

Eh, countless players always say that everybody is hurt to some degree during most of the season. I'm not sure I even get the point of having the injury list. If it is a feature for gamblers it would seem pretty tertiary to the sport itself.

This sounds circular.

The rules are the rules. If a player doesn't miss practice or a game, teams are not required to report any injuries he may have. And why should they?
Last I checked, football is still a collision sport. Every game there are multiple players on both teams playing with injuries. So what?
If it's ok with the player and the team , why would anyone else give a ****?

Good point but I think the difference here is none of Brady's teammates said Brady was hurt. Brady also played all those games start to finish and it wasn't as obvious from the eye test that he had a wonky knee as it was with Gurley. Also Anderson flat out admitted that Gurley was injured.

I believe Brady WAS hurt on that stupid Philly special play in the Titans game and he never shared that with the team.
That just shows me the Pats are better at keeping chit in house and under wraps than other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back