PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT Conor McDermott re-signed

McDermott cant swing (move) so he can only play on the right (RG/RT) if nothing else is available.
I agree this is an insurance contract (b-up insurance not starter) - still waiting for guarantees..
It prob gives him an opportunity to fight for OT #4/5 with Stueber and some street FAs.

One can still hope they will address the position seriously in both FA and Draft . this contract shouldn't stop them piling on better options
for b-up capacity as well.
McDermott had 24 starts at LT while he was at UCLA... in his 2 starts with the jete, one was at RT the other at LT... i have zero idea how you define a swing tackle, but McDermott fits the profile to a tee... guy isnt really a long term starter, but can spot start or sub in when needed, on either side...

McDermott had 24 starts at LT while he was at UCLA... in his 2 starts with the jete, one was at RT the other at LT... i have zero idea how you define a swing tackle, but McDermott fits the profile to a tee... guy isnt really a long term starter, but can spot start or sub in when needed, on either side...

My def of swing tackle is OT that can play both sides at NFL level. If a guy is not able to move adequately i would not consider him at LT if i can help it.

My def of swing tackle is OT that can play both sides at NFL level. If a guy is not able to move adequately i would not consider him at LT if i can help it.
Interesting... I went to look for some highlights featuring McDermott but was unsuccessful (didn't try too hard tbh) ... Did come across an old college scouting report which said 2 relevant things... One, he needed to get stronger, was suspectable to the bull rush, the second, which dovetails with your pov, was that his positioning was poor... That he took often let his ass go perpendicular to the pocket which hampered the motion of his blocking... That he needed to keep his butt pointed towards the QB instead of going lateral or perpendicular to the pocket...

I never noticed this last year in his play, but wasn't really looking for it... I wonder if this still holds true... I was just happy to have a tackle that wasn't wynn in the line up... Will try to find a few games from last year and focus on his play / positioning...

Still, I think he is much needed depth at the position, regardless of his flaws

Guarantees are in line w contract and further confirm nothing is guaranteed/expected re 53. A bit of insurance on both sides.
Hopefully good competition is added to make this a nice complementary gift on his way to PS.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back