PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - College football playoff proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tb12goesinya

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Quick preface. I really like when the process of finding a champion is a perfect combination of the elite battling it out and not watering down the field, but also a fan friendly engaging format. I think that is a major reason why the NFL format is so great.

Warning: this proposal ignores college final exams

8 team tournament

The top 6 power ranking conferences(which can shift on a year to year basis) have an automatic bid.

The conference championship game winner is awarded a bid.

Plus 2 'at large' teams based off end of season ranking.

Rank the 8 teams.

First round games played in top 4 seed's home stadium.

Semis and finals in neutral 'bowl venues'

Pros:

1. Sooo many more universities would be excited towards the end of the season. College games in Novemeber would be chock full of hope to win their side of the conference and play for a bid in the conference title game. It would create so many exciting games with young players who can dream big.

2. The 2 'at large' bids would ensure the elite of the elite would still find their way into the tournament even if they go perfect and stumble in the conference final. BUT they might not get that home game if they lose so they would surely have motivation still.

3. 1st round playoff games in home team's stadium would be electric.

4. More games= more money..figure it out sponsors. Or just get out of the way.

5. Only 1 more week of games..Sorry Army Navy? Maybe not.

6. Divison 1AA has 16 so I don't want to hear it.

7. Notre Dame still gets catered to with 2 at large teams.

8. Elite programs not getting complacent, still fighting to the end to ensure a home game.

9. Can you imagine the college game day hype for 1st round?? Either do 1 game Thursday 1 Friday and 2 Saturday. Or all Saturday 12pm. 330pm. 7pm. 1030 pm.

10. You know this is more exciting and just flat out better. Not to mention.....brackets

11. The 6 conference championship games would create a ton of hype, and would be quasi playoffs in and of itself.

12. The basketball tournament has everyone and their mother, this is a perfect middle ground. Less pressure on college kids to be perfect. Still have to get it done in a big way though throughout the regular season.

Thanks for reading

Last edited:
If the Conference championship game winner gets an automatic bid, then it might be unfair if say Florida (9-3) beats Alabama (12-0) in the SEC.

A second problem is that it would definitely put a damper on all the teams competing outside of the six conferences. You could have 4-5 undefeated teams, and only two chosen. Or, a team like Central Florida, who no big six teams want to play, might have an even smaller chance of getting in.

I honestly like it the way it’s constructed.

One of the biggest things the college game has over the NFL in terms of experience is the atmosphere of the stadiums. Having that with the stakes of the playoffs would definitely be cool.

In that scenario Alabama would still get in based on the 2 at large.

The non power conference teams already do not break through. Adding 4 teams couldn't hurt. If they are outside power 6 conference but still dominant enough they can work their way in.

If there are a lot of conference championship game upsets then that would hurt their chances though.

The 6 statistically best conferences would reap the reward of an automatic representative. I think the late season competition and excitement outweighs any potential drawbacks. Any given season you would look at the 8 teams and realize it was full of dominant teams and teams who performed well down the stretch in a pivotal conference title game.

I honestly like it the way it’s constructed.
It's way better now with 4 teams then it was previously I will give you that

From my perspective late season conference games would have way more juice and that would do nothing but benefit the sport.

Picture for instance Iowa vs Wisoncisn both 1 or 2 loss teams playing in Novemeber for their side of the conference. All of a sudden a quality game becomes essentially a playoff game with major implications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News