PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Cafardo Headed to the Hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I posted this previously, but this is what he once wrote about our little corner of the internet:

upload_2019-12-10_13-44-39.png

Just a really good guy and definitely taken far too soon.

At the National Baseball Hall Of Fame ?
Yes, he covered baseball initially, handled the football beat for the Patriots for quite a few years for the Boston Globe, and then went back to covering baseball.

From the article:

"The longtime Boston Globe baseball columnist -- who passed away suddenly in March at the age of 62 -- has been elected as the 2020 winner of the J.G. Taylor Spink Award in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America. His career will be honored with the award that is presented annually to a sportswriter for meritorious contributions to baseball writing during the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum's induction weekend July 24-27, 2020 in Cooperstown, N.Y.

"Cafardo received 243 votes from the 427 ballots cast by BBWAA members with 10 or more consecutive years service in becoming the 71st winner of the award."

Cafardo predated the hotsportztakez world in which many in the print media operate. Nick was pretty much a Red Sox House Organ, but he did so in an "aw shucks" manner and wasn't boisterous as so many media are today. I remember his appearances on old time WEEI, and I'm pretty sure he was on as a guest with the "Big Show" w Ordway, Smerlas et Al.
Cafardo was clearly a "Bledose Guy", along with Kevin Mannix and Ron Borges. Cafardo, along with the other two, went to great lengths to take Bledsoe's side in the Brady/Bledose debate.
Back then it was interesting because you had the older writers lining up behind Bledose and the younger guys behind Brady. Mannix and Borges were resentful of Brady and went to great lengths to discredit him and the coach who got rid of their go to locker room guy. Cafardo, much to his credit, didn't seem to grind the axe the way his pro drew media cohorts did.
62 is way too young and Nick had many great articles he didn't get the chance to write. Nice honor for him and his family.

Super classy guy; well deserved. And he’s got the best seat in the house for the induction ceremony. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back