PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Any fans in Hong Kong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patjew said:
Looks like I'm moving there in January and I'm just wondering what options there are for watching/taping games, getting together with fellow fans, etc.

Sorry if this is too OT to be posted here.

Lived in Hong Kong since '92. Not many options for watching regular season football.... Sunday/Monday night games are on live Monday/Tuesday am with the 12 hour time difference. All playoff games and the Super Bowl are also on live. Agree with some of the other posts, watching the Super Bowl over here is an experience. Nothing like being lit by 8:00 am watching football.

Joined today because I saw this post. Definitely need to organize something in Hong Kong for fellow Patriot fans to watch games. Does anyone reading this in Hong Kong have any ideas?

scorp5 said:
Lived in Hong Kong since '92. Not many options for watching regular season football.... Sunday/Monday night games are on live Monday/Tuesday am with the 12 hour time difference. All playoff games and the Super Bowl are also on live. Agree with some of the other posts, watching the Super Bowl over here is an experience. Nothing like being lit by 8:00 am watching football.

Joined today because I saw this post. Definitely need to organize something in Hong Kong for fellow Patriot fans to watch games. Does anyone reading this in Hong Kong have any ideas?
Great to hear from you! Soon there will be at least 2 Pats fans in HK. Hopefully some other fans will come out of the woodwork. I'll be sure to get in touch before we move. Maybe we can watch the Pats in the SB together.

Is there the equivalent of Direct TV in HK that would enable me to watch and/or Tivo games?

Out of curiosity, are you an American? Do you live in an expat community? We're still looking for a place to live.

Patjew said:
Great to hear from you! Soon there will be at least 2 Pats fans in HK. Hopefully some other fans will come out of the woodwork. I'll be sure to get in touch before we move. Maybe we can watch the Pats in the SB together.

Is there the equivalent of Direct TV in HK that would enable me to watch and/or Tivo games?

Out of curiosity, are you an American? Do you live in an expat community? We're still looking for a place to live.

I'm an American originally from the Boston area. There's a very large expat community over here with Americans being in the top 5 in terms of nationality. For expats, Hong Kong island seems to be the place to live, but it really depends on where you will be working, budget, etc. As you may or may not know, apartments (or "flats" as they call them over here) are super expensive for rental and purchase. Places on the island to consider are "mid-levels", Pokfulam, Causeway Bay, Deepwater Bay, Repulse Bay, Stanley, and Tai Tam. We've lived on the island and also in Kowloon/new territories, so would be more than happy to give suggestions.

There's nothing like Direct TV here yet. I've talked to a few guys who are using that Slingbox or whatever it's called. Someone who's more up to date with the miracles of technology would have to give you more information.

Definitely look forward to watching a few Pats game together.

How do we exchange email addresses outside this messageboard?

Something to think about is the NFL has started streaming games live over the internet for those with ISP's outside North America, through Yahoo. It's $250 for the season, or $25 for a week. You would have to sign up from Hong Kong of course.

The fans from the UK mentioned the time difference was a big problem, but I haven't seen anyone post that they actually tried the service. They should allow the user to select when they want to watch a game, which could make it a very good service.

Hey PatJew, this is BradyAlright, I am currently living in Hong Kong on the south side of the Island in an area call Deepwater Bay. Your family is going to love Hong Kong great schools, night life for you and your wife. Traffic can be bad at times but the metro system and buses are easy to use (wait till you see all the great cars....you name it they got it). Concerning the Patriots games, you will be getting up at 1:00 am in the morning to watch the games, I am using the Yahoo NFL ticket, the video quality is great and I can watch the game again on a Monday afternoons with the video archive or any other nfl game.

Someone mention about the huge expats here, I work with the US Consulate in Hong Kong and will be happy to show you around when you get in. We also have huge Superbowl parties and I can set it up so you can meet some of the americans here (allot of activities to support the kids and adults). Hope you and your family will enjoy yourself here

BradyAlright said:
Hey PatJew, this is BradyAlright, I am currently living in Hong Kong on the south side of the Island in an area call Deepwater Bay.

Sounds like we're neighbors - I live in Shouson Hill. I Know some of the boys on the military side of things at the consulate.

Or all of you could fly in to Manila and we'd have a really great superbowl party here! Tickets to and from HK and Manila are really inexpensive (you can find 100 or 200 dollar round trip tickets) so hop on over and we can play golf after the superbowl!

lobster said:
Something to think about is the NFL has started streaming games live over the internet for those with ISP's outside North America, through Yahoo. It's $250 for the season, or $25 for a week. You would have to sign up from Hong Kong of course.

The fans from the UK mentioned the time difference was a big problem, but I haven't seen anyone post that they actually tried the service. They should allow the user to select when they want to watch a game, which could make it a very good service.
Thanks for the advice, I'll check it out.

BradyAlright said:
Hey PatJew, this is BradyAlright, I am currently living in Hong Kong on the south side of the Island in an area call Deepwater Bay. Your family is going to love Hong Kong great schools, night life for you and your wife. Traffic can be bad at times but the metro system and buses are easy to use (wait till you see all the great cars....you name it they got it). Concerning the Patriots games, you will be getting up at 1:00 am in the morning to watch the games, I am using the Yahoo NFL ticket, the video quality is great and I can watch the game again on a Monday afternoons with the video archive or any other nfl game.

Someone mention about the huge expats here, I work with the US Consulate in Hong Kong and will be happy to show you around when you get in. We also have huge Superbowl parties and I can set it up so you can meet some of the americans here (allot of activities to support the kids and adults). Hope you and your family will enjoy yourself here
Great to hear from you! And that's great to hear about the Yahoo NFL ticket.

Thanks for the offers, I really appreciate it. I'm going to make a quick trip with the wife and kids in November to get the school and apartment situation finalized. I'll definitely get in touch with you either then or when we move in Jan. I've been to HK several times and already love it. I'm very excited about the move.

Feel free to let me know if you have any pull at an international school!

edgecy said:
LOL that picture is hilarious! The Chinese characters mean China Bowl, literally. Which is funny because in Chinese it would be read as a bowl, as in the kind used in eating. In America we come to look at the term "bowl" differently depending on context.. but in Chinese there are no such thing.

I wonder how the Chinese will think when they see China Bowl :D
Will they be vying for the China Cup? Hope nobody drops it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST