PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: 30/30 Celtics vs Lakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previous games in the series were tape-delayed, but Game 7 was live. I saw it in the girls' dorm lobby in college. All the other guys there were black, and rooting for the Sixers.
You are right I was thinking of game 6 that was a Friday game and game 7 was an afternoon game.
That would be the last year for tape delay for the finals though.

Yeah, but regarding the incident I'm referring to in '87, Larry had no problem with what was said. It was total media stupidity, period.
Correct.

Loved the fact they froze him out of the Dream Team

Thanks for the heads up @robertweathers . Watched it.

The racial aspect of the documentary was horribly misleading but the basketball part of it was fantastic.

They mention that Celtic games had "low attendance" because white people in Boston didn't want to watch a black basketball team. This morning WEEI discussed how most NBA teams had low attendance and that the Celtics had higher attendance then most teams.

Anyways watching the documentary led me to believe the race issue was unique to or worse in Boston when it was a nationwide problem.

In general NBA attendance in the 50s and 60s was not spectacular.

Because of the busing issue, Boston will always have the stigma of being a racist city even though it is no worse than any other city in the US.

Don't forget Maxwell going into the crowd after a fan in Philly game 6 , 1981. That sport was so much better back then.

Amen.

The Celtics-Lakers get all the attention, but thruthfully NOTHING can ever touch the intensity and ruthlessness of those Celtics-76ers games of the early 1980's. The Lakers were actually a distant second when it came to my (and most other Boston fans') blood pressure level.

Every minute of a Celtic-Sixer game during that 3-4 year span had the potential to break out into a full-stadium riot.

I'm not kidding.

I remember listening to game 7 and no one moved during that 4th quarter. For some reason the game wasn't played live on CBS but was replayed at 11:30 that night. The 76ers were amazing team also doing the early 80's also.

The radio highlights album of that series is great. They had lots of audio from games 5, 6, and 7. I still remember Johnny losing his voice when McHale rejected Toney at a crucial point with the clock winding down in Game 6. And then of course at the end of Game 7.

It was.

I had forgotten how awesome the 1984 Finals were.
What the NBA had with Celtics/Lakers/Sixers/Pistons/Rockets/Bulls, Bird/Magic, The Detroit Pistons and the rise of MJ helps put into perspective and realize what we have had for the past 15 years with Brady and all the characters around him.

I was a HUGE NBA fan growing up in the 70's...while the league was mostly black, there were plenty of white stars too - but it was all about the basketball.

The media initiated the premise that poor ratings were due to the racial makeup of the league. I suppose there might have been something to that; then again, I don't think the NHL's poor national ratings had anything to do with race. However, the media could have surmised that American people just hated Canadians.
They also insinuated that the 60s low attendance was because the team had so many African American players... but that team also had lots of great white players, Heinson, Cousy, Havlicek, Sharmon...

What the NBA had with Celtics/Lakers/Sixers/Pistons/Rockets/Bulls, Bird/Magic, The Detroit Pistons and the rise of MJ helps put into perspective and realize what we have had for the past 15 years with Brady and all the characters around him.
Indeed, we have the NFL equivalent of what NBA fans now call a "super team": stars such as Brady and now Edelman willing to take less $$$ to be on a great team. I have a hard time seeing how we'll see this ever again. NFL players want to get paid, and I don't blame them. Their careers are short enough and they're just one injury away from being cut.

I think they themselves didn't care, but I definitely heard Larry referred to as 'the great white hope' by some fans back in the day.

This is one of those moments where it'd be nice to have an ESPN subscription, but I'm not going to pay hundreds a month just because I want to watch a show every so often. This is where cable has their business model all screwed up. I'd gladly pay more than what I'd pay for a crappy Hollywood movie to see this program, but that just ain't an option. No wonder there's so much piracy out there.

Playstation vue $39 for 80+ channels, sling not sure of their pricing, and direct now $10 if you have at&t for cell service.

I dropped DTV and switched to PS VUE has all but CBS for locals in my market, added a $10 sub for CBS online so $50 for what I was paying $200 plus for with DTV.

Also have a solution to replace Sunday ticket on multiple tvs.

In general NBA attendance in the 50s and 60s was not spectacular.

Because of the busing issue, Boston will always have the stigma of being a racist city even though it is no worse than any other city in the US.

an exaggerated stigma at that. LA has had more race issues yet suffers no such stigma. from the watts riots to oj/mark fuhrman to rodney king and reginald denny to rampart Rampart scandal - Wikipedia. lebron's house gets vandalized with a hate crime plus many more i'm sure. even these days i'm hearing that charger players are having a hard time finding housing in LA because owners don't want to rent to african americans.

just ask brandon mebane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back