PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - 2017 Broncos FA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, this will be something to watch.

Don't blame Denver one bit. Miller is good, but he shouldn't get anywhere near that. The highest I would go for him is 60-70 million, anything over that is wasted money.
And I don't blame Von Miller. Reportedly he is ready to accept the overall money of 114.5 million over six years. Where the problem lies is with the guarantees. Apparently only the first two years are guaranteed for 38.5 million. Vernon got 50 million, Suh last year 60 million. Why should Von Miller after this superb Super Bowl run accept a two year 38.5 deal? Imagine he suffers some serious injury these two years and gets cut after the second year, loses a whole lot of money. Denver isn't wrong in trying to use their leverage with the franchise-tag to seek the best deal for them. But Miller also isn't wrong in seeking guaranteed money on the level of what other top-shelf linemen have been getting these past two years.

Miller is going to get popped for PEDs again sooner or later and its going to be glorious.

miller threatens to sit out 2016 lol

Has that ever happened? I know players threaten to do that all the time but, when they start losing paychecks, they usually relent.

Has that ever happened? I know players threaten to do that all the time but, when they start losing paychecks, they usually relent.

The last time I remember a high caliber player sitting out was Emmitt Smith in 1993 but that was for only 3 games or so. Of course he came back and won the super bowl that year.

As much as I am loathe to compliment Horse Face, he's doing a good job trying to hold down escalating salaries. He screwed up by not tossing Ostweiler a bone a year ago, but he has a lot of leverage on Miller and is using it well.
Miller is right here not to take a deal that doesn't make him the #1 player. the broncos have the cap space, and he basically won the suerbowl by himself
Fair enough. Now he has to take all the risk of getting through 2016 without being injured and without any significant dropoff in performance, and the Donks get him for $14M which is below Suh's rate. They can franchise him again next year and if they do so they'll tap out most of his prime without making a ridiculous commitment like the Dolphins did to Suh. Maybe Miller will have a long career after he leaves, but chances are as always against that and it'll be Miller taking all the risk.

We've let go of players a year or two earlier than we'd want to (Seymour, Milloy, Law, etc) and I understand Miller is younger but still the idea is the same, don't let the player define your valuation of him, set a number you think is right and if it goes way beyond it, let him go. Let some perennial loser team like the Dolphins or Jets spend way too much money on him so you can tell the next guy looking for a contract that we're not going to set the market.
miller threatens to sit out 2016 lol
So much for the friendly tone to the discussions, it just got ugly!

But him missing a good chunk of games would still definitely hurt them.
For sure. I just don't see him sitting out the entire year. The man seems like he has an expensive lifestyle to maintain.

For sure. I just don't see him sitting out the entire year. The man seems like he has an expensive lifestyle to maintain.
But you have to really consider how it would affect Denver if Von misses several games, AND if this whole Talib issue leads to Talib facing serious missed time.

I already thought they were going to drop to 9-10 wins next year. If this scenario happens, they might be fighting to even get to a .500 record.

Mankins held out until week 10, then came back for his accrued season

Miller would lose a lot of money missing that many games, like Mankins didn't get the full guaranteed amount for his franchise tag coming back week 11 did he?

Deion Branch held out and shot his way out of town

Von Miller appears to be the sort who could make plenty of noise and be a distraction.....if he decides to come in the last moment ala Mankins, it would likely have substantial ramifications for the Broncos playoff prospects.

stay tuned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back