PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Opinions on Felger and Fauria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely know that this opinion is not isolated to this site.

Thanks for the input on the players - past and present.

Thanks for all the comments.

I hear you all on the negativity. That said we are never going to do a show without criticism. I know you know that and for whatever reason the contributors to this space see Felger as more caustic than authentic.

To the contributor who said I wasn't giving fans credit, I would beg to differ. If anything Felger is authentic and let's be honest, he has had success in the market. Is it luck that the week after his show ends on ESPN he pops up on WEEI? I think not.

What do you guys think about the mix of Felger and Tanguay. Both will be very active in our Pats coverage.

Thanks for coming by, Sperham. I think that that shows a lot of class and concern.

Two things, though. It sounds as though you've already made your decisions about presenters and it wasn't your call. So people's reactions to Felger are beside the point.

But you (or your bosses) ought to consider this. Felger isn't just unpopular with Patriots' fans. He is (so far as I know) also very unpopular with the team. If you're going to do a show about the Patriots, it really helps if you can get along with the Patriots who, as you know, try to win football games first and worry about the media second (or third, or thirteenth ...)

So what sort of a show are you going to do? What's the point of having a presenter who doesn't get access to the team? If you're content with publicly available clippings and a "controversial" presenter, who says stupid things because it is assumed that getting a rise out of Patriots' fans is a good way to boost ratings (it isn't, by the way) you may have got your boy.

Another way to do it is the Patriots All-Access way: made in house by the Patriots, nothing aggressive but actually (because it shows the team in ways that they want to be seen) extremely interesting and revealing. Mike Lynch is great for that. Unthreatening, well informed and enjoyable to listen to.

Or you could go the in-depth analysis route. That might only appeal to the mavens (but there are more of them than you might suppose) but, if you had a really good play by play analyst, breaking down game film, you could fill a real niche. Is there anyone around Boston who does that kind of thing? It sounded as though Albert Breer was trying to make himself into an analyst before he went to Dallas. My own favorite TV analyst is Mike Carlson who works for Channel 5 in the UK. He is absolutely terrific -- clear, intelligent, funny and cool. As you can guess, I'd love it if you went that route.

Thanks for all the comments.

I hear you all on the negativity. That said we are never going to do a show without criticism. I know you know that and for whatever reason the contributors to this space see Felger as more caustic than authentic.

To the contributor who said I wasn't giving fans credit, I would beg to differ. If anything Felger is authentic and let's be honest, he has had success in the market. Is it luck that the week after his show ends on ESPN he pops up on WEEI? I think not.

What do you guys think about the mix of Felger and Tanguay. Both will be very active in our Pats coverage.

Oh, you hear it but you really aren't listening. In fact you've already made your choices indicates you don't give a hoot what we think, so let's quit kidding each other - you're just here to promote your show. We can take (and frequently dish out) criticism - when it's well founded and thoughtfully framed. You're confusing criticism with irreverently spewing negativity and controversy for ratings points, which is what Felger does. It pisses us off because he's doing that while covering a team that went to 4 Superbowls in the last 7 years while winning 3 of them...

Felger has had success in this market? Where and when... Not on air he hasn't. You don't loose shows when you succeed. Your cable outlet is now fronting the recycled FSNE because it was a ratings leader??? LOL No, you did that because it came pre packaged. Felger in print and early on as a football guest only on WEEI circa 2000-2003 was the last time Mike was worth a listen. Where's Gresh - overbooked??? ****erson is insufferable but he knows and loves his hoops. Tanguay is about as lightweight as they come. If you must pair Felgie with someone, do us all a favor and find an articulate former player who will smack him around when he starts bloviating about things he has no real understanding of (not to mention access to) - then at least it's worth a watch.

It's not luck that salvages mediots careers in this town - it's the good old boy Boston mediot network looking out for each other. Same one that is recycling all of the FSNE "talent" as you call it. Same network that helped Felger and Tomase climb the ladder by stepping on the toes of the guys they cover. Same network that had Lobel on again last week after his long overdue retirement. Honestly, are you this dumb or do you just play dumb when interacting with fans on a message board... It's not what you know, it's who you know and who you owe that keeps mediots employed in this town.

I liked it. Bottom line the only show right now that's all about the pats and nothing else. Just because of that I'll be watching it.

Same here. I watched it on DirecTV channel 620 last night.

I didn't mind Felger. Maybe it's because I've only seen him like two or three times before last night. He talked about the SB a lot, but I expect that the SB is still on the back of everybody's minds right now.

Fauria was good. I wouldn't get any current players to co-host because they are pretty busy at the moment. What about Roman Phifer? He was a Patriot for years and part of that famous LB corps, so it would be interesting to see what he has to say.

You know, when I was a kid I used to watch the Red Sox religiously. When I think back to that time one of the things I loved most was listening to **** Stockton and Ken Harrelson and LEARNING ABOUT THE GAME. That was the best part about it.. Learning the game from people who knew the game. I want my kids to learn the game and enjoy the game as well but all they get is Felger and Espn and this controversy crap. Send Felger to talk to **** Stockton (who to this day is beloved in Boston) and maybe he'll learn something.

Oh, you hear it but you really aren't listening. In fact you've already made your choices indicates you don't give a hoot what we think, so let's quit kidding each other - you're just here to promote your show. We can take (and frequently dish out) criticism - when it's well founded and thoughtfully framed. You're confusing criticism with irreverently spewing negativity and controversy for ratings points, which is what Felger does. It pisses us off because he's doing that while covering a team that went to 4 Superbowls in the last 7 years while winning 3 of them...

Felger has had success in this market? Where and when... Not on air he hasn't. You don't loose shows when you succeed. Your cable outlet is now fronting the recycled FSNE because it was a ratings leader??? LOL No, you did that because it came pre packaged. Felger in print and early on as a football guest only on WEEI circa 2000-2003 was the last time Mike was worth a listen. Where's Gresh - overbooked??? ****erson is insufferable but he knows and loves his hoops. Tanguay is about as lightweight as they come. If you must pair Felgie with someone, do us all a favor and find an articulate former player who will smack him around when he starts bloviating about things he has no real understanding of (not to mention access to) - then at least it's worth a watch.

It's not luck that salvages mediots careers in this town - it's the good old boy Boston mediot network looking out for each other. Same one that is recycling all of the FSNE "talent" as you call it. Same network that helped Felger and Tomase climb the ladder by stepping on the toes of the guys they cover. Same network that had Lobel on again last week after his long overdue retirement. Honestly, are you this dumb or do you just play dumb when interacting with fans on a message board... It's not what you know, it's who you know and who you owe that keeps mediots employed in this town.

Go ahead. Speak frankly Mo! :p

Thanks for coming by, Sperham. I think that that shows a lot of class and concern.

Two things, though. It sounds as though you've already made your decisions about presenters and it wasn't your call. So people's reactions to Felger are beside the point.

But you (or your bosses) ought to consider this. Felger isn't just unpopular with Patriots' fans. He is (so far as I know) also very unpopular with the team. If you're going to do a show about the Patriots, it really helps if you can get along with the Patriots who, as you know, try to win football games first and worry about the media second (or third, or thirteenth ...)

So what sort of a show are you going to do? What's the point of having a presenter who doesn't get access to the team? If you're content with publicly available clippings and a "controversial" presenter, who says stupid things because it is assumed that getting a rise out of Patriots' fans is a good way to boost ratings (it isn't, by the way) you may have got your boy.

Another way to do it is the Patriots All-Access way: made in house by the Patriots, nothing aggressive but actually (because it shows the team in ways that they want to be seen) extremely interesting and revealing. Mike Lynch is great for that. Unthreatening, well informed and enjoyable to listen to.

Or you could go the in-depth analysis route. That might only appeal to the mavens (but there are more of them than you might suppose) but, if you had a really good play by play analyst, breaking down game film, you could fill a real niche. Is there anyone around Boston who does that kind of thing? It sounded as though Albert Breer was trying to make himself into an analyst before he went to Dallas. My own favorite TV analyst is Mike Carlson who works for Channel 5 in the UK. He is absolutely terrific -- clear, intelligent, funny and cool. As you can guess, I'd love it if you went that route.

Mike - we are looking to do all of these types of programs and hopefully I will have more news to follow.

Going forward - yes we are already invested in Felger and the point of my post was not to get fan approval, but get fan feedback. I value all of it - positive and negative.

And yes, I am here to draw attention to the program. (FULL DISCLOSURE RIGHT).

Go ahead. Speak frankly Mo! :p

LOL It's just the BS like he cares from this guy annoyed me beyond normal reason. I think my problem is I resent what Felger allowed himself to become over jealousy that Holley got the bestseller book deal. He used to admire this orgnization when most of the old gang was still in Cleveland anti BB media mode. He didn't think they could win a Superbowl in 2001 with that little name talent, but he got it and saw where it was headed. He also developed a lot of insider access, in the FO as well as the locker room. He blew that all to hell for a shot at scooping minutae and smack talking his way to a radio gig. And to match earnings with Sara he took on so many PT gigs he had no time left for thoughtful analysis - he rarely even showed at Foxboro for the last couple of years unless it was for his post game gigs... He morphed into an off the cuff, flippant, in-studio talking head commentator with no access or nearly a clue (besides what Tomase fed him...).

I do think some of it is inherent in him - I grind my teeth when he leads with "but don't you think..." because now he's always desperate to justify his nonsensical read or spin on something or someone by getting a guest or co-host talked into agreeing with him. The whole anti-Moss vendetta last pre season was just pathetic.

Eventually if Sara lands another anchor babe job at WKRP somewhere or other they will have to relocate to accommodate the network breadwinner's career. Blogging and fill in hosting on radio and hosting a cable sports show likely won't pay the freight in the Back Bay Brownstone indefiitely...

As for Felger -

1) he would tell you that he is not playing the roll of the contrarian. He says what he believes

2) and as an outsider he feels that he is more objective than the born and bred in Boston reporter/personality.

Mr. Sperham -

1) Felger is either lying to you, or he is an ignoramus to whom you should not be giving money for his opinions concerning the NEP. Having Wrong Bogus as a virtual co-host on his radio show was the final nail in his coffin here.

2) If you are seeking an outsider's objectivity, then I suggest that you give credibility a chance by staying in-house, looking to Philadelphia, and bringing us Ray Didinger, Greg Cosell and Adam Caplan. The hands-down best football talk I've ever heard on TV was when those 3 were frequent in-season guests on CN8's Sports Connection, hosted by Lou Tilley, from 11pm-12am ET.

Felger is on the show and on NEST and I don't see that changing. so the options are:

1.Don't watch the show because you can't stand Felger, or

2. Watch the show because it's about the Patriots and you may learn something about them along the way that you don't know now.

I'm going option 2 because I'll watch just about anything about the Ptriots and I may learn something that I don't know now. And yes, I can even pick up something from a guy like Felger as he does have more access to the team than I do. I will not buy the newspaper to read Felger but I'll watch this show.

It would have been nice to have a fresh face without the baggage Felger has, but that is not what it is right now. I don't expect the host to be a Patriots lap dog, but I would like to have someone who will present facts in a way that is not designed to bring attention to himself.

Last edited:
Felger is on the show and on NEST and I don't see that changing. so the options are:

2. Watch the show because it's about the Patriots and you may learn something about them along the way that you don't know now.

I'm going option 2 because I'll watch just about anything about the Ptriots and I may learn something that I don't know now. And yes, I can even pick up something from a guy like Felger as he does have more access to the team than I do. I will not buy the newspaper to read Felger but I'll watch this show.

It would have been nice to have a fresh face without the baggage Felger has, but that is not what it is right now. I don't expect the host to be a Patriots lap dog, but I would like to have someone who will present facts in a way that is not designed to bring attention to himself.

:ditto: What the gentleman said!

Inform and entertain is the only way you can attract an audience. You hope the personalities are equally as compelling as they are infuriating.

I have to wonder...why the mention of the guy who lost the Super Bowl in teh opening tease?? Isn't that supposed to be about training camp...NOT looking back?? That was hardly Felger..just shows the negativity is quite more than him and other writers...just pinhead producers throwing bait out...Which gets to the point..Do they throw that crap out to pull people to watch?? It's the mentality of crap like that over substance that really makes shows THAT COULD be good..worth so much less...

Inform and entertain is the only way you can attract an audience. You hope the personalities are equally as compelling as they are infuriating.

Thank you for perfectly summing up everything that is wrong with sports "entertainment" today.

I guess you just forgot the "thoughtful" and "insightful" parts, not to mention "knowledgeable", right?

You just lost a potential (Slingbox) viewer. Well done, Dr. PR.

Tonight at 7:30 Felger goes "one on one" with Tedy.

Let's guess what the first or second question will be. I'm going with "are you over the SB loss,yet?"

I'll take the "compelling". I'll take a pass on the "infuriating".

I don't watch sport or sports shows to be infuriated.

Last edited:
I'll take the "compelling". I'll take a pass on the "infuriating".

I don't watch sport or sports show to be infuriated.
Seems like that is what it's all about..."infuruating" hosts...slick producers who have NO knowledge of the game or what makes a REALLY good show....I'll pass on that one all the time..

I thought tonights show was good. Felger actually said "we" when talking about the Patriots DB's. I checked the Homerville Inn to see if there was a Michael Felger in the guest book.

One thing I either forgot or didn't know, was a rule change this year. There is no more "forced out" rule. In other words, if a receiver catches a pass and is forced out of bound by a DB, it's no longer ruled a reception. So, it looks like the defense finally gets one until they change the rule back next year.:rolleyes:

Thank you for perfectly summing up everything that is wrong with sports "entertainment" today.

I guess you just forgot the "thoughtful" and "insightful" parts, not to mention "knowledgeable", right?

You just lost a potential (Slingbox) viewer. Well done, Dr. PR.

Haha, you have no clue what your talking about do you? Companys like ESPN are at an all time high right now. Huge audience, content that keeps average fans coming back ( I hate it) and a brilliant self promotion plan..

As an advertiser, or a media buyer, you buy espn all day if you are after 25 - 54 year old males nationally.Its all about the $$$$ companies dont give two ****s about us purists, because the purists aren't the ones running out to buy (insert product) after they see the add on ESPN.

You are not an average fan. Average fans have no idea regarding the insight you have when you listen to a person talk about the pats, and the average fan is the one who has the largest share of the spending power.

As a whole, sports networks are booming!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore