PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One month from camp - prime Patriot FA signing time

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This next month is when the Pats do their best work signing FA's. I tried to look up a list of FA's that are left, but an early look I couldn't find anything current. THIS is the time where older, perhaps past their primes, BUT still solid players are available along with some XFL and USFL players can be had. In fact I'm surprised we haven't signed an XFL player yet. There must have been SOMEONE that they liked out of all those guys.

At any rate This is a topic we should be discussing more and it deserves its own thread

BTW- anyone with an up to date list of current FA's please post it.

Can you tell us some past examples of this being the time of year the Pats do their best work in FA? I'm having trouble getting as pumped up as you seem to be. Not knocking you or anything.

How many roster openings do the Patriots currently have?

No current openings but would expect Bill to start churning the roster shortly.

Can you tell us some past examples of this being the time of year the Pats do their best work in FA? I'm having trouble getting as pumped up as you seem to be. Not knocking you or anything.

With so many rookies I wonder if they will be less active in the secondary free agency market and wait to see who shakes out during roster cut downs. They can afford to sign a few decent cap casualties.

I tried to go through the same exercise, and I didn't find too much. This seems to be when they tend to trade some of their fringe guys (Stidham and Harry were traded in this period between OTA's and Training Camp, for example), and they've brought in bottom-53/gameday inactive guys like Sokol, Ben Watson 2.0, claiming Tyler Gaffney, that kind of thing. Nothing major, that I noticed at least. Biggest one I could find in recent history was Cam Newton, who though we all are glad to have moved on from him, ended up being the starting QB, so that's substantial.

I read The Jets might cut C.J Mosley post June 1st. I might find that intriguing. If we had all-pro play at ILB, this D would gel so well. Went over a list of some other post June first cut candidates and I wasn't too impressed.

some guys signed in and around camp, mostly towards the end of camp when the roster cuts are started...James Develin, Rob Ninkovich and Junior Seau just to name a few...

I read The Jets might cut C.J Mosley post June 1st. I might find that intriguing. If we had all-pro play at ILB, this D would gel so well. Went over a list of some other post June first cut candidates and I wasn't too impressed.
Interestingly, SI just came up with a top 10 list of current FA's. 4 of the top 10 were Edge players like Niguaku and Clowney. These are good players but unfortunately players at a position the Pats are pretty well set. The only OLman there was a G, another position where we are all set. Elliot was the only RB. There were no WR's or TE's And the only CB was Marcus Peters. HE was the one I'd be most interested in. A FORMER #1 type CB who could come in an be a mentor to all the young CB's we have and make me feel more comfortable about Mills' move to FS

We signed Frisker....so...there you go...

How many roster openings do the Patriots currently have?
None. But they could easily move on from any of the following:

Terez Hall, Tre Nixon. Matt Sokol, Scotty Washington, Chase Hines, Bill Murray, Jeremiah Pharms, Jourdan Heilig, Myles Bryant, Tae Hayes, Shaun Wade, Rodney Randle, Quandre Mosely.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back