PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One Factor Heading Into the Titans Match-up...?

I see a lot of viable arguments here.

It is completely plausible that Vrabel's experience practicing opposite Brady gave him extra insight. Consider that, outside of the two Tennessee games, Vrabel's defense also gave Brady fits while d-coordinator with Houston in the 2016 playoffs. The track record speaks for itself. I would not go so far to say Vrabel was "in Brady's head," but he probably has an extra advantage compared with most other coaches.

I also agree that Brady was long checked out by the Tennessee playoff game. I point to the Baltimore beat down as the moment that he checked out for good, but, to be honest, I saw something change permanently in Brady's demeanor and body language against Pittsburgh in 2018. I have no doubt that this played a factor in his performance.

So, it's your premise that practicing every day against a guy for 7+ years, you don't notice a player's tendencies? Do you really think that Brady changed all his tendencies? I don't. Just like there is such a thing as tipping pitches or having a tell in poker. Jason Varitek is well known his notebook opposing hitters and pitchers. He said that during his career, he was able to learn tendencies of opposing pitchers and what they liked to do in situations against particular hitters.

I agree but it is generalities. I like to hang my hat on specifics, not extrapolations.
Let me give you a different example. When I was playing college hockey, we had this center on our team who always did this one move in practice. Always. In breakaways, he would come down the slot, break to his right at the circles and then deke left to put the puck in around us goalies. You'd think after the half dozen practices, he'd change it up, but no. He didn't. After the 10th practice the 1st year, I had his number.. He'd curse me every time. The other goalies, despite my telling them what to watch for, over-thought things. They would think, ok,. this is when he changes it up. they'd over-think and he'd still beat them with the same move.
Again I understand your point. But Brady is the GOAT because he has a lot less "tendencies". People tried to define him, and they could not. That is what a GOAT is, the greatest because they have fewer weaknesses or tendencies to exploit than all of the others.
What's more plausible? The Vrabel knew Brady's tendencies in certain situations and was able to game plan for them? Or that Vrabel magically because a better coach than Belichick? The fact that you are demanding specifics from football laymen is actually pretty funny.
What is more plausible is that the Titans had better players. Not to review the Pats drafts (that has been done a 1000 times) but the talent on the Patriots was lacking. The Titans beat the Patriots. Vrabel did not beat Brady or BB.
I can tell you one tendency that Brady developed. He looked for his favorite receiver in tough situations instead of the open one. This is well known and well documented on this site. First it was Welker. Then Gronk. Then Edelman. In most cases it worked because of the talent of those players, but there were more than a few times people noted open receivers that Brady didn't go to over the years.
I agree with this too. Brady did force balls into his favorites more than earlier in his career. Early on Brady said he favorite receiver was the open one, but as the years wore on, Brady did not seem to spread the ball around as much. Recognizing all that, I think Vrable's knowledge/insight is over stated, I think the Titans were better than the Patriots. It is amazing that Henry is out and the Titans rushing yards per game have dropped by more than 50%. Amazing stat. With Henry running even Tannehill looks OK.

I get your comment, but I think Vrabel's history with the Patriots was a minor contributor. The major contributor was the Titans having better players IMO.

Reactions: Ian

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back