PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Wise snap count per game:

17/68
28/65
34/71
25/63

Whether you measure success by eye test, sacks, pressures, etc, Wise has been arguably one of our 2-3 best players this season. Despite that, he’s playing a part time role of about 40% snaps.

The reason I bring this up is it is very similar to Flowers’ playing time last year. He was at about 40% snaps until the Seahawks game. He then became a 80-90% snap starter in the defense & helped spark the turnaround.

Obviously this change won’t fix busted coverages but it is one tangible way IMO to bolster the DL. Maybe BB is concerned about the rookie wall?

We need what may be our best EDGE rusher on the field more than 40% of the time.

Totally agree. We need better pass rush because our D tackles are useless at making the QB uncomfortable

might be due to him being a rookie

hate to see him hit that wall as december rolls around

Bingo.

Dont expect a player that hasnt been through a full offseason of NFL strength and conditioning to play consistently over 50-60% of snaps. Rookies need to be managed and so far they are working Wise pretty well.

It might be that he plays in the situation that is his strength vs exposes his weaknesses. Although this defense looks pretty damn exposed every game.

Smart decision to draft Wise jr

Doesn't BB always talk about how at team is playing around Thanksgiving.. to burn this kid out in October will not serve this team well, need him to be "fresh" for the tournament.

I'm fine with it, need to keep him fresh

I didn’t want to bring PFF into it but my friend works there so I can see all the premium stats that only teams/organizations do.

Wise’s grade on a per snap basis is right there with Von Miller, Khalil Mack, Justin Houston & Calais Campbell at the top of the league.

While their grades can definitely be disputed & are sketchy at times, that’s noteworthy IMO.

Wise and Flower are the only bright spots on D so far

I'm not sure Wise's production would maintain at his per snap level if you started playing him 70-80% of the snaps. On top of energy levels, he may look as good as he does because he's only being asked to do specific things that he's either good at or has sufficiently grasped at the NFL level.

I would expect his snaps to increase as the season goes on, but I want that to happen naturally as he earns it, not because we're uncomfortable with where the defense is after 4 weeks.

Do they trust him to defend the run on early downs? This is a matter of which snaps he's playing, not purely how many.

Do they trust him to defend the run on early downs? This is a matter of which snaps he's playing, not purely how many.

Exactly. Hes a rookie. For all we know hes getting killed in practice because he can't read play action, counter plays, screens, draws or formations at an NFL level. Maybe he can't set the edge. Maybe he only has one pass rush move (kinda like a pitcher who only has a fastball and a changeup but can't locate for ****).

I love the kid but I defer to BB on this one.

DLN0_9fV4AACjXe.jpg:large

God damn shame the refs had to throw a flag on his clutch sack for something that didn't even effect the play.

God damn shame the refs had to throw a flag on his clutch sack for something that didn't even effect the play.

Yeah, I felt bad for Wise. Three sacks in his first four games would have been a nice pace for the season. Ah well. Talent is there, at least. The wins (and stats) will come in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes