PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Preseason Game Day Thread- Pats @ Giants

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Mac seemed off at times and hold to the ball too long, let him experience it asap so he can learn from it, he has to go through more in the coming years. But he has had also some nice throws out there, still long way to go. However as said I would have wanted to see him with 1st team OL and Receivers not only with 2s and 3s.
I noticed the Giants running WR "picks", rubs and other twisting/crossing and bunch routes (such as the first TD pass) to free up their players. I did not happen to see the same from the Pats. I'm curious if that's on purpose for example if the staff simply wants to see 1 on 1 / Mano e Mano if the WRs can get open on routes/skill alone?

BB: we have not yet made a decision on QB for week 1.

I think he is just using all the media talk about a QB competition to his advantage. Since the media is giving a lot of legitimacy to there really being a QB competition for week one, he will use it to his advantage against Miami. Flores now has to at least think about planning to defend against either QB rather than just developing game plans for just Newton.

Nothing in Belichick's actions show that Mac Jones is even remotely thinking of starting Jones on September 12th. But until they know for sure that is the case, the Dolphins are going to have to spend at least some time preparing for Jones over Newton. For Belichick, even an hour spent on game planning on a QB who won't play by the Dolphins is a competitive win for the Pats.

You are talking about the FOURTH man up at RB. Excluding receiving backs like White, most teams aren’t 4 deep.
Finding a rb cut somewhere and putting him on the practice squad makes us better than relying on bolden at RB.
SIX years ago he was needed and we signed Steven Jackson playing with a walker instead. He is now 31 has carried the ball 30-some times in his career since then.
Bolden is no longer a top 250 NFL RB and his role if he has one is special teams.
Bill loves him though.

I think he is just using all the media talk about a QB competition to his advantage. Since the media is giving a lot of legitimacy to there really being a QB competition for week one, he will use it to his advantage against Miami. Flores now has to at least think about planning to defend against either QB rather than just developing game plans for just Newton.

Nothing in Belichick's actions show that Mac Jones is even remotely thinking of starting Jones on September 12th. But until they know for sure that is the case, the Dolphins are going to have to spend at least some time preparing for Jones over Newton. For Belichick, even an hour spent on game planning on a QB who won't play by the Dolphins is a competitive win for the Pats.
Great point.

Mac will start but not immediately.

Other thing I noticed how badly Caserio sabotaged us. These last 2 rookie classes are going to be the best in a long time.

I noticed the Giants running WR "picks", rubs and other twisting/crossing and bunch routes (such as the first TD pass) to free up their players. I did not happen to see the same from the Pats. I'm curious if that's on purpose for example if the staff simply wants to see 1 on 1 / Mano e Mano if the WRs can get open on routes/skill alone?

That's what the preseasons have been all about for this particular organization: individual evaluations.

I would be more than fine with Mac sitting a little bit if our starting QB was not the corpse of Cam Newton.

His mechanics are ****, his decision making is ****, his accuracy is questionable. He is a great athlete who is not as dominant as he used to be. It is very depressing that he will be the starter. Not surprising, not necessarily the bad decision, but gosh it is not exciting. Can't wait for the 3-4 balls thrown in the dirt every quarter...

Mac played well, but like any rookie he's still a work in progress. I'd rather see him do that in real game situations but it really sounds like Bill has other ideas. Either way once his decision making against NFL competition improves look out. I think if the Pats are anything less than 2-2 after the Bucs game, Bill really needs to consider a move and it has to be permanent. To be honest I hope the move is made in the Bucs game or before, put Mac up there against an elite NFL defense and what better way is there for a cerebral QB like Mac to see what playing in the NFL at the highest level is all about.

Agholor and Bourne also need to get a whole lot better than this when the games start to count. The question marks at the position are still there.

This run defense is very good. It reeked last year. Looking forward to that too.

It’s more than obvious Cam is going to be the starter until BB is forced to pull him. I’m assuming that will happen sometime after the TB game. Maybe immediately after that game if we get clapped.
Or during. That works for me too.

Mac played with the seconds against the Giant's firsts. Mac had multiple passes dropped that should have been caught. Mac yelled at ole Gunner at the end for running the wrong route. Mac didn't have an off game.

I think it’s becoming clear how the QB situation will go for the pats:

Week 1 vs. Miami - a top 10, aggressive pass defense
Week 2 @ Jets - bad pass defense
Week 3 vs. Saints an above average, aggressive pass defense
Week 4 - vs. Bucs a top 5, aggressive pass defense

Cam is going to blitzed early & often. Spoiler alert: the passing game won’t be successful.

Week 5 @ Texans - bad pass d
Week 6 Cowboys - bad pass d
Week 7 Jets - bad pass d
Week 8 @ Chargers - average pass d
Week 9 @ Panthers - mediocre pass d
Week 10 Browns - average pass d
Week 11 @ Falcons - bad pass d
Week 12 Titans - mediocre pass d
Week 13 @ Bills - above average pass d (zone)
Week 15 @ Colts - above average pass d (zone)
Week 16 Bills - above average pass d (zone)
Week 17 Jaguars - bad pass d
Week 18 @ Dolphins - top 10, aggressive pass d

The schedule is friendly for a rookie QB starting week 5. Can the defense & ball control offense get them to 3-1?

Week 1 vs. Miami - a top 10, aggressive pass defense
Week 2 @ Jets - bad pass defense
Week 3 vs. Saints an above average, aggressive pass defense
Week 4 - vs. Bucs a top 5, aggressive pass defense

Cam is going to blitzed early & often. Spoiler alert: the passing game won’t be successful.
This is a good rundown. Press man, crowd the box, at least 1 or 2 extra rushers. 8-9 men in the box on first down too to force a 2d and long/3d and long.

Not that they wouldn't run the same thing against Mac, but we have loads of tape on Cam showing he cannot diagnose it, assign the hot route, and then execute the hot route with an on time and tempo throw.

It's little adjustments, like the Zuber alignment and throw last night that are showing glimpses that the rookie can.

This is a good rundown. Press man, crowd the box, at least 1 or 2 extra rushers. 8-9 men in the box on first down too to force a 2d and long/3d and long.

Not that they wouldn't run the same thing against Mac, but we have loads of tape on Cam showing he cannot diagnose it, assign the hot route, and then execute the hot route with an on time and tempo throw.

It's little adjustments, like the Zuber alignment and throw last night that are showing glimpses that the rookie can.

I think it's going to be a lot more simpler than that. These first four teams are just going to stack up to stop the run and force Cam to throw. They know he's going to eventually make a mistake.

If we are 3-1, I think that Cam will continue to start.
There is no way we are 3-1 with Cam as our QB. I think we will lose MIA, NO and TB. More so if, in addition, Gilmore is not playing in those games.

There is no way we are 3-1 with Cam as our QB. I think we will lose MIA, NO and TB. More so if, in addition, Gilmore is not playing in those games.
At a minimum Tampa is a loss w Cam.

Regardless of who is at QB, the D will need to keep opponents under 17ppg on a regular basis.

I think MIA is becoming overrated.

The Jets suck.

Aints and Winston do not scare me at home.

I think Belichick wants to do it like the Chiefs with Smith but he will be forced to make the move much sooner. Unless he has a renaissance season Cam will have his meltdown fairly soon and that change will come. BB can tell everyone he gave Cam the chance with better weapons and he just isn't good anymore.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back